Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale | Shipyard Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001

Ratings: 2,713 |  Reviews: 889
3.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Smells almost exactly like pumpkin pie. Light yellow color with minimal head. I love the taste. It's very different than anything I've ever had before. Starts out light with a huge pumpkin pie after taste. Overall, it's my first pumpkin beer and I enjoyed it very much. I'm surprised by the low rating here. I guess I'll have to check out more pumpkin beers to establish a little context.

1.5/5  rDev -50.2%

3.25/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I know I've had this before and rated it a little under 3. But I bought a single out of the clearance bin at ABC and had it last night (about 9 months post-bottling?) and it was delish. Not sure if the cellaring (such as it was) made the difference, but it tasted much better.

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

2.47/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pumpkinhead was my first venture into pumpkin beer, so it will always have a special place in my heart. With that being said, after discovering new pumpkin beers, it doesn't even compare.

Appearance: Light orange, almost no head, again, flat on appearance.

Taste: It's light, has very little pumpkin flavor, more spices, which isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't deliver as much as you would hope. The best way to describe it is flat.

Smell: Once again, heavy with spices and cinnamon, which is great as summer turns into to fall, it fits the season perfectly on windy autumn night.

Mouthfeel: Very light and smooth for a 4.7%, no bite, light carbonation.

Overall: While it's nothing compared to the likes of some of the other pumpkin beers I've tried, Pumpkinhead still is a great go to in the fall if you want something easy to drink with some of that pumpkin flavor.

3.25/5  rDev +8%