Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale | Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead AleShipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

Alströms:

Ratings: 2,683 |  Reviews: 882
3.75/5  rDev +25%

4.07/5  rDev +35.7%

I think this is my favorite. One of the great tasting pumpkin beers I've tried. This is all of my friend's favorite as well.

The color is a light copper color, with a minimal lacy head. Not the best looking. But like I said, the flavor is great. A lot of cinnamon, nutmeg, spice etc. A wonderful blend. One of the few pumpkin beers I drink repeatedly in the fall.

3.75/5  rDev +25%

4.5/5  rDev +50%

2.27/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Girlfriend picked up a 6er at the grocery store after hearing me talk about pumpkin ales (I was talking to my brother about getting him to pick up some Dogfish Punkin and holding it for me). Sadly, she thought all pumpkin ales were created equal, but I've never been one to complain about free beer. So Cheers! On to the Review :

A - After the pour there was maybe a half index finger's worth of head, but that has since dwindled down to nothing. The beer itself is very clear with a sort of golden ale look to it.

S - Faint pumpkin smell, but smells more like cider. It smells like fall in that I can pick up some cinnamon, but nothing about the scent is too overpowering.

T - It's a pretty 'thin' beer. It's hard to pick up on any real identifying tastes. Surprisingly pumpkin is not prevalent, which I found odd. It's really hard to evaluate the taste, simply because there is nothing really going on here.

M - The amount of carbonation in this beer is just too high. Reminds me of some of my first homebrews where I used too much priming sugar. The beer is wispy and light, which almost makes me think it'd be better during the late spring and summer. I may be in a minority, BUT for my fall/winter beers I want something with some thickness.

Overall, not good, but definitely not the worst thing I've ever tasted. I'd probably give it a 2.25 out of 5. I feel like you could drink a lot of these, and it'd get you buzzed, but as far as substance goes...there's just not a whole lot there.

2.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: Very light pumpkin ale. Almost looks like a light wheat ale, sort of a cross between Blue Moon and Goose Island 312. Overall, I like this for how different it is.

Smell: Light fruity notes with some hay. A bit adjunct-like.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Since this is a pumpkin ale, it is therefore natural that this tastes like...cucumber? I swear that's the main flavor that I taste, backed up by some cloves. It's almost like they are going for a pickle beer here. (Now that would be an interesting idea.) This is just weird. I like some of the flavor notes, but the cucumber-ness is plain out different. Mouthfeel is generally speaking pretty good. Very crisp, but there's a sourness from the cucumber that I don't like.

Overall Drinkability: One of the strangest beers I've ever had.

3/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle best before Feb '13, into a Hoffman House chalice.

A - On the lighter side of the style; dark gold with a good but spritzy white head. Slightly hazy. Moderate carbonation visible.

S - More cinnamon than many, and relatively mild. Good.

T - Brisk initial carbonation with a bready maltiness. Spices don't kick in until late and are in the background. Very clean with a dry finish.

M - Light body with high carbonation.

O - A sessionable, clean pumpkin ale. This is on the extreme light side of the style. More of a macro-style pumpkin beer, but without major flaws.

3.15/5  rDev +5%

Bought a six-pack at Table and Vine. The drink poured with a large head and solid lacing on the side. The color had a slightly amber gold-tone appearance and carbonation is visible through the relatively clear body. Pumpkin spices were apparent in the aftertaste, but flavors when sipped were mostly light wheat, nutmeg, and vanilla. Mouthfeel is a bit light and watery despite what appeared to be a carbonated beverage. Overall, an average pumpkin beer.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.5/5  rDev +50%

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 19.2% out of 100 with 2,683 ratings