Pumpkinhead Ale | Shipyard Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2001

Ratings: 2,720 |  Reviews: 889

3.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a golden yellow with very little head that dissipates quickly. Last year, this beer on tap was my favorite pumpkin. So far from the look of it, I can't recall why.

Smells slightly sweet and not too spicy. This is a little out of balance in a way I haven't been seeing this year. Most pumpkins have been over spiced. This might be under.

Tastes pretty good. Hints of pumpkin and some very mellow spicing. The spices could be more prevalent, but it's tasty and nice.

It has a smooth, mellow taste and its well on the tongue. It needs a little more body, but it's nice.

I'm happy with this and will have more, but it isn't my favorite so far this season.

4.75/5  rDev +57.8%

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

2.28/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours pale orange with a white head. The head doesn't stick around very long and there are a lot of tiny bubbles visible in this beer. The aroma is mildly spicy from those pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon and nutmeg). There's some sweetness in the background that comes from the light pumpkin smell. There's some maltiness in the flavor with some of that pumpkin flavor. There is some spiciness in the taste, but this is not very strong. The taste is a little off-putting. The body is light and well carbonated. The finish is clean. The taste of this beer brings the overall score down because I had a hard time drinking this. Avoid this one if you are looking for pumpkin ales.

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%

2.77/5  rDev -8%

Poured a bright pale orange with a finger of clean white head. Weak aroma with traces of caramel and spice.

Lowish carbonation and a light, slightly thin mouthfeel. Light caramel up front with lots of grain, slight grassy bitterness, and some mild spice on the tail end.

Pretty light and not too memorable. Almost like a pumpkin pilsner in character.

4.07/5  rDev +35.2%

I think this is my favorite. One of the great tasting pumpkin beers I've tried. This is all of my friend's favorite as well.

The color is a light copper color, with a minimal lacy head. Not the best looking. But like I said, the flavor is great. A lot of cinnamon, nutmeg, spice etc. A wonderful blend. One of the few pumpkin beers I drink repeatedly in the fall.

4.5/5  rDev +49.5%

2.27/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Girlfriend picked up a 6er at the grocery store after hearing me talk about pumpkin ales (I was talking to my brother about getting him to pick up some Dogfish Punkin and holding it for me). Sadly, she thought all pumpkin ales were created equal, but I've never been one to complain about free beer. So Cheers! On to the Review :

A - After the pour there was maybe a half index finger's worth of head, but that has since dwindled down to nothing. The beer itself is very clear with a sort of golden ale look to it.

S - Faint pumpkin smell, but smells more like cider. It smells like fall in that I can pick up some cinnamon, but nothing about the scent is too overpowering.

T - It's a pretty 'thin' beer. It's hard to pick up on any real identifying tastes. Surprisingly pumpkin is not prevalent, which I found odd. It's really hard to evaluate the taste, simply because there is nothing really going on here.

M - The amount of carbonation in this beer is just too high. Reminds me of some of my first homebrews where I used too much priming sugar. The beer is wispy and light, which almost makes me think it'd be better during the late spring and summer. I may be in a minority, BUT for my fall/winter beers I want something with some thickness.

Overall, not good, but definitely not the worst thing I've ever tasted. I'd probably give it a 2.25 out of 5. I feel like you could drink a lot of these, and it'd get you buzzed, but as far as substance goes...there's just not a whole lot there.

Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Company