Pumpkinhead Ale | Shipyard Brewing Company

27%

Ratings: 2,717 |  Reviews: 889

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

2.28/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours pale orange with a white head. The head doesn't stick around very long and there are a lot of tiny bubbles visible in this beer. The aroma is mildly spicy from those pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon and nutmeg). There's some sweetness in the background that comes from the light pumpkin smell. There's some maltiness in the flavor with some of that pumpkin flavor. There is some spiciness in the taste, but this is not very strong. The taste is a little off-putting. The body is light and well carbonated. The finish is clean. The taste of this beer brings the overall score down because I had a hard time drinking this. Avoid this one if you are looking for pumpkin ales.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

2.77/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured a bright pale orange with a finger of clean white head. Weak aroma with traces of caramel and spice.

Lowish carbonation and a light, slightly thin mouthfeel. Light caramel up front with lots of grain, slight grassy bitterness, and some mild spice on the tail end.

Pretty light and not too memorable. Almost like a pumpkin pilsner in character.

4.07/5  rDev +35.7%

I think this is my favorite. One of the great tasting pumpkin beers I've tried. This is all of my friend's favorite as well.

The color is a light copper color, with a minimal lacy head. Not the best looking. But like I said, the flavor is great. A lot of cinnamon, nutmeg, spice etc. A wonderful blend. One of the few pumpkin beers I drink repeatedly in the fall.

4.5/5  rDev +50%

2.27/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Girlfriend picked up a 6er at the grocery store after hearing me talk about pumpkin ales (I was talking to my brother about getting him to pick up some Dogfish Punkin and holding it for me). Sadly, she thought all pumpkin ales were created equal, but I've never been one to complain about free beer. So Cheers! On to the Review :

A - After the pour there was maybe a half index finger's worth of head, but that has since dwindled down to nothing. The beer itself is very clear with a sort of golden ale look to it.

S - Faint pumpkin smell, but smells more like cider. It smells like fall in that I can pick up some cinnamon, but nothing about the scent is too overpowering.

T - It's a pretty 'thin' beer. It's hard to pick up on any real identifying tastes. Surprisingly pumpkin is not prevalent, which I found odd. It's really hard to evaluate the taste, simply because there is nothing really going on here.

M - The amount of carbonation in this beer is just too high. Reminds me of some of my first homebrews where I used too much priming sugar. The beer is wispy and light, which almost makes me think it'd be better during the late spring and summer. I may be in a minority, BUT for my fall/winter beers I want something with some thickness.

Overall, not good, but definitely not the worst thing I've ever tasted. I'd probably give it a 2.25 out of 5. I feel like you could drink a lot of these, and it'd get you buzzed, but as far as substance goes...there's just not a whole lot there.

2.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: Very light pumpkin ale. Almost looks like a light wheat ale, sort of a cross between Blue Moon and Goose Island 312. Overall, I like this for how different it is.

Smell: Light fruity notes with some hay. A bit adjunct-like.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Since this is a pumpkin ale, it is therefore natural that this tastes like...cucumber? I swear that's the main flavor that I taste, backed up by some cloves. It's almost like they are going for a pickle beer here. (Now that would be an interesting idea.) This is just weird. I like some of the flavor notes, but the cucumber-ness is plain out different. Mouthfeel is generally speaking pretty good. Very crisp, but there's a sourness from the cucumber that I don't like.

Overall Drinkability: One of the strangest beers I've ever had.

Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Company