Blue Fin Stout | Shipyard Brewing Company

Blue Fin StoutBlue Fin Stout
3.61/5
Good
Blue Fin StoutBlue Fin Stout

Shipyard Brewing Company

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 254 | Ratings: 572
Reviews by Mechphisto:
2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

I received a bottle of this at a conference I recently attended.
I love stouts, but this one was a bit too coffee for my taste.

A- Beautiful appearance. Deep, dark opaque black/brown with a roasted nut brown head. Not too thick, very nice. Didn't last long and the lacing was slight.

S- An almost sweet scent. I barely got an aroma of coffee, but very light and not in the least strong enough to give me a clue as to what the taste would end up like. A simple aroma.

T- Awful, for me. I admit to hating coffee (which makes trying a new stout a crapshoot for me.) I love bitter, and hoppy, just can't stand the coffee. And that's what this tasted like to me, like drinking tepid coffee.

M- Watery and somewhat fizzy. Thin. Added to the tepid coffee experience.

D- I ended up doing something I never do: I poured it out after about half. Just couldn't stand it.

4.13/5  rDev +14.4%

I poured this beer from a 22 oz. bottle into a schooner glass producing a nice gurgling head thats really grabs the sides of the glass. The color is a beautiful deep black coffee color with a dark root beer tint where the light reaches it. The stout has a prominent chocolate smell almost as if you are driving by a chocolate factory. The taste, as the smell is very mocha with hints of coffee. A mouthful is quite delicious the flavor seems very consistent mocha all the way down. The aftertaste continues chocolatey and the hops start to come through getting a bit sweeter. The carbonation seems just right for the flavor. Not at all heavy for a stout, don't have to strain it through my teeth. I will enjoy the rest of these.

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.36/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -10%

A: Holy carbonation batman. My pint glass is literally all foam with no sign of beer at all. This is gonna take awhile to right itself. Eventually the sudsy mocha colored head fell to a manageable level, allowing me to get a look at the beer. Body is a thin looking dark brown cola looking brew…fairly clear for a stout.

S: Sour chocolate milk, roasted barley, grapes and a touch of metal.

T: Starts off a lot like it smells. A slight sour twang hits the tip of the tongue with powdered cocoa and grapes working with it. Roasted barley moves in with some minor smoke aspects. Finishes with some aluminum and lingering buttery roastedness

M: Full bodied and soft with a lot of carbonation on the palate.

D: Take it or leave it. Nothing special but still drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

22 Oz Bomber... Why a twist-off?

Pours into the glass a very dark brown/black with a thick chocolate colored head that was long lasting and left lacing.

Aroma is of chocolate, roasted malt, coffee and a hint of toffee

Taste: malty, roasty, slightly sweet (caramel/toffee) slightly buttery leaving a roasted coffee aftertaste. Fairly complex.

Mouthfeel: a medium body. Nothing spectacular or unexpected

Drinkability: nice on a hot summer night. Not too heavy, refreshing. I would and will drink again.

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

A: Poured from the bottle (with a twist-off cap) into a pint glass. Dark pour makes it look pretty thick. In the glass the body is black with a small (maybe a half-finger) light brown head.

S: Roasted barley and a bit of black licorice.

T: Bitterness is the overall impression - not sure if it's from the roasted malt or the hops. At times I think it's gotta be the roasted grains, but sometimes I'm not so sure. Really nothing more going on besides that roastiness, though after a few sips and my palate adjusts to it, I think I get a bit of roasted coffee beans as well as just generic roast.

M: Way too carbonated. A sharp, active carbonation doesn't help things here, as it makes the bitterness more pronounced on the palate. Heft is lightish.

O: I used to have a co-worker who owned a place in Maine not too far from Kennebunkport and the Shipyard brewpub. He used to rave about this beer back in the mid-to-late 90s, and I remember having it back then and kind of liking it. Either it's gotten worse or my taste buds have improved; this is nothing I would ever get again.

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

3.54/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: poured an opaque black with brown edges, and a big light brown / tan , root beer float head.

Smell: rich and roasty with lots of creamy chocolate, coffee, and a very faint edge of minty like hop.

Taste: Roasty medium body , some rich dark chocolate sweetness that quickly turns bittersweet, black coffee, lightly burnt flavor and bitterness near the mildly dry end , flavor could be a bit fuller.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied , mildly dry finish.

Drinkability: A pretty tasty stout , nice roasty flavors and chocolate taste , just a touch to bitter and thin for me to want to quaff.

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

A – Very nice black with a huge head. Never had one quite this carbonated before. Of course, the last one I had was the old style screw tops so things may have changed slightly.

S - Great roasted malts smell. Hops are in enough of a volume to provide a nice undertone and balance.

T – Very similar to how it smells. Roasted malt, medium to light hops with hints of coffee. Tasty.

M – Light bodied and very carbonated.

D – Smoother and lighter than I recalled. Must've drowned those beer cells over the years. Definitely a nice easy drinking stout. Guinness is easier to find, but this is tastier if you can get it.

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

Blue Fin Stout pours an opaque black with a fluffy tan head from a brown twenty two ounce bottle. I tried looking for ruby highlights, but I just don't see any. Mild coffee aroma is present. Some chocolate and coffee flavors are noticeable in the taste. Roasted malt definitely dominates. Overall, not bad, kind of a good entry level stout in my opinion, but doesn't really hold up against the best stouts. Definitely worth a try.

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark black color with a tan head. The aroma consists largely of dark roasted malts. The taste much like the aroma is dark and roasty with a dry and mildly bitter finish. Overall, this is a pretty solid offering that I wouldn't pass up if offered again. Not bad.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%