Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) | Shipyard Brewing Co.

good
Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)

Shipyard Brewing Co.
Maine, United States
shipyard.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Added by Casey10 on 08-31-2009

Ratings: 1,618 |  Reviews: 477

I'm not sure if I had a bad bottle but this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. Doesn't even remotely taste like pumpkin but super sweet. Drain pour most of it.

2.03/5  rDev -44.7%

Appearance - Poured aggressively, this hazy, bright golden orange brew produced a white, finger width head. The retention was sub-par, and the lacing was virtually non-existent.

Smell - Sweet, sugary aroma with hints of pumpkin and spice.

Taste - If I had to describe it in 10 words or less, it'd be this: caramel cola flavor infused with artificial pumpkin and spice. Sugary caramel, hints of cinnamon and even less so of nutmeg, while the pumpkin sits idly in back.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body, with an overcarbonation that hits on cola levels. Sticky.

Overall - Ugghh. Tastes quite literally like a pumpkin cola. I'm sorry, this is just awful. If there's any redeeming value, it's that it does well to hide the 9% ABV, but that's it. Not only would I never buy it again, I'd care to never see it on shelves again. Maybe the worst pumpkin ale I've ever had. I'd rather have a BMC than this dreck. I don't believe much in drain pours, but this one's getting serious consideration.

2.06/5  rDev -43.9%

Bottle shared by BeerFMAndy.

Bright orange hue. Modest white head. Pumpkin pie spices and wet wood make up the nose. Flavors are not good. Taste like pumpkin cologne. Spices are a bit heavy. The alcohol come through quite a bit too. Light body. This one is not any better than the abomination known as pumpkin head.

2.07/5  rDev -43.6%

Why did I do this to myself? I already tried this brewery's "normal" pumpkin offering and was put off in a major way.

Was my weak mental moment a result of the implied value conveyed in the lofty price and flashy packaging? Maybe it was a Mainer friend's constant love of Shipyahhhd product? Egad, could I have been swayed by some of the favorable BeerAdvocate reviews for the brew?

Whatever the case, I'm still at a loss for why I made this purchase.

I popped this 22 open in darkness, basked in TV glow from VH1's TOOL ACADEMY while my darling daughter and belligerent wife slept in the room down the hall.

Appearance was not immediately evident as the room I was sucking this down in was unlit. I flirted with disaster, turned on a light that could wake the wife or baby, and spied a bottom shelf soda amber hue. Foaming/head was eerily similar to pouring Coke into a glass. Barely any heft to it and retreated very quickly. If you could buy store brand pumpkin soda, this is what it would look like. I believe it would be stocked between the red birch beer and translucent yellow pineapple soda.

I smell hints of Kearney, New Jersey as you traverse the Pulaski Skyway in here. Chemical sweet esters like a Burger King strawberry shake. Hard to make out definite pumpkin. I can pull out the allspice/cinnamon/nutmeg thing with a wet dog basenote. All of this going on really obscures any hint of alcohol.

The _taste_ of pumpkin is overbearing and chemical. Sort of as if they flavored NyQuil with pumpkin. If DumDums made a pumpkin lollipop, it would be milder in fake pumpkin that this beer. Aftertaste/finish is oddly bitter. Possibly the oils from the spices? As if you just poured cinnamon on your tongue expecting to taste cinnamon rolls, yet are instead surprised by the bitter nature of pure cinnamon.

The mouth is thin and unremarkable. Upon swallow a boozy burn takes hold after the fifth sip.

I could see this as being VERY drinkable on a Jersey City street corner after a take out of $1.99 shrimp in lobster sauce from the Chinese joint outside the Holland Tunnel exit. Other than that, I can't really think of a time you'd want to endure the weird taste just to get tipsy. I think Steel Reserve works better for that sort of thing.

I'm sad... sad that this is on the market and sad that I succumb to the marketing devices in place to make these things sell.

On a better note, I'm feeling the 9.0% now and My Antonio is starting in 25 mins!

2.08/5  rDev -43.3%

2.08/5  rDev -43.3%

This basically tastes like the regular Pumpkinhead Ale but with 9% ABV. There seems to be more spiciness and sweetness to it that really is intolerable. There is little carbonation so the mouthfeel is more smooth and syrupy. It was nasty. I'm pissed I spent $9 and I still got a cheap beer. If I wanted to drink something like this, I would sprinkle nutmeg & cinnamon in a bottle of pancake syrup and drink that...except I wouldn't get the buzz.

2.09/5  rDev -43.1%

Oh Shipyard, this is yet another completely fucking disgusting pumpkin beer from you. DIACETYL BOMB! Back to brewing school with you.

Beer is orange and has a thin white head of small bubbles, minimal lacing moderate carbonation. Looks good.

Aroma is mildly spicy and has a buttery component to it. Oh no.

Beer is silky creamy butterscotchy with a horrible pumpkin sour bitterness at the back end. Its like eating the skin off the pumpkin after its dipped in fake butter. Never again.

2.16/5  rDev -41.1%

A: Bright cloudy orange beer with a good finger head which dissipates on the quick side, large bubbles.

S: Alcohol, hops, spice? I think, bitter nose.

T: Tart malt up front, bitter, sour.

M: Sour finish, did this go bad?

D: Poor, think I'm gonna dump this.

2.19/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

2.19/5  rDev -40.3%

A: Pours a transparent pumpkin color with a small soapy head, no retention given the abv

S: Faint spice and raw pumpkin along with a big honey note. Everything is subtle and faint, the malts are light and don't give anything. Not impressive at all, and I love pumpkin beers

T: To say this tastes like Red Stripe with spices and a dash of raw unsweetened pumpkin would be accurate. Big sweetness and honey come through followed by some faint cinnamon and nutmeg. The aftertaste is of ginger ale...no pumpkin to be found

MF/O: Good feel to this one, pretty thick, alcohol is hidden well but warms. This is not a good example of a pumpkin beer at all...in fact this is the second worst pumpkin ale I've had aside from Shipyard's regular pumpkin ale...there are much better examples out there

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

2.22/5  rDev -39.5%

Beer two of last night's Wacusett Imperial Pumpking, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, and ST Pumking Pumpkin-Off.

Pours a clear, pale squashed color. Head quickly peters itself out to nothing.

Aroma of intense pumpkin pie spice like a pumpkin pie potpourri bath scent. No actual pumpkin but spice aplenty.

Tastes intensely of pumpkin pie spice. I like pumpkin pie spice but I'd like more beer in my pumpkin beer. The spice is so overpowering I can't get any beer through the onslaught. Bleh.

I've had this before and I remember it being an over-spiced, bigger version of Shipyard's Pumpkinhead which I don't like either. I remembered correctly. Drainpour.

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.