Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) | Shipyard Brewing Co.

good
Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)

Shipyard Brewing Co.
Maine, United States | website

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Added by Casey10 on 08-31-2009

Reviews: 470 | Ratings: 1,593
2.09/5  rDev -43.1%

Oh Shipyard, this is yet another completely fucking disgusting pumpkin beer from you. DIACETYL BOMB! Back to brewing school with you.

Beer is orange and has a thin white head of small bubbles, minimal lacing moderate carbonation. Looks good.

Aroma is mildly spicy and has a buttery component to it. Oh no.

Beer is silky creamy butterscotchy with a horrible pumpkin sour bitterness at the back end. Its like eating the skin off the pumpkin after its dipped in fake butter. Never again.

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%

This is one exceptional Imperial Pumpkin. Brilliantly clear light copper with a decent white head and lacing. A bit of carbonation visible. Smell is gorgeous. Big, sweet bready malt and pumpkin pie. Nutmeg and vanilla flow beautifully through the aroma. A spiciness that I can't quite describe. A light floral hops and a trace of alcohol. Taste is just short of perfect in my book. This is like drinking a pumpkin pie with a graham cracker crust. Big pumpkin front and deep malt backbone combine to make a smooth, mildly sweet introduction. Nice vanilla component. Finish leaves touches of graham and and mellow earthy hops. Some hearty bread as the main player. Very British. Feel is gently crisp and mildly carbonated. This drinks like a session ale so be careful. My fave so far in the world of Big Pumps.

1.94/5  rDev -47.1%

Nothing says "Hey it's October and you should be drinking fall-themed beers, asshole!" like a pumpkin beer. So I picked up Smashed Pumpkin Ale from Shipyard. I accidentally overchilled it - so serving starts at around 40°F and gently warmed to low-60's by the end of the second glass.

No yeast.

I'm always a fan of foil tops, and this gold-foiled cap is no exception, perfectly accenting the orange and gold label.

A: Pours a sparkling, coppery orange, with a very thin head and thicker collar and a few random bubbles in the middle. Tilting the glass leaves legs underneath a sparkling, descending curtain of falling lace.

S: Wow. That's a lot of spice, especially considering the cool temperature. Let's play a word association game, shall we? I'm going to list all of the words that come to mind as i sniff:

Pumpkin. (Yeah, I took the easy one.) Anise. Nutmeg. Licorice. Autumn. Nutmeg. Jack-o-lantern. Caramel. Cinnamon. Cooler weather. Munich malt. Pumpkin pie. No distinguishable hops. Nastier as it warms. More licorice. Banana. Uncle Don getting drunk on Pumpkin Schnapps during football and puking all over the couch. Anger. Fucking nutmeg again. Betrayal. Spiced vomit. Ruined holidays.

Wow, that was fun. I don't have an uncle Don, so I guess somehow this brew is giving me false memory syndrome.

T: The taste is exactly what the nose foreshadowed. Three major elements are combined here. First, and least noticeable, is the perfect level of hop bitterness, from no distinct hop strain. The hops are most apparent at the finish. Secondly, we have plenty of malt features: toast, caramel, biscuit, honey, fresh bread, cloves. Lastly, and most distinguishable, are the spices. Pick a pumpkin pie spice; it will be here. This is liquid pumpkin bread. There's more banana than the nose suggested, but I wouldn't call this an estery beer.

The flavor is better than the smell, but as this beer warms, the spices start getting brutal, and the flavor continues to degrade from drinkable to bad to sickening. Near room temperature, it's just plain awful.

M: Full-bodied with fair carbonation. Creamy. Mouthfeel is the only redeeming quality in SP.

D: Negative score on drinkability. I scowl when someone talks about pouring out beer, but the garbage disposal threatened to eat another spoon if I didn't share the last third of this beer.

I saw a jack-o-lantern the other day that was supposed to look like hands spreading butt cheeks, Ace-Ventura style. (Classy, I know.) If I had to guess what licking that pumpkin's crack would taste like...

Anyway, this had the potential to be a good beer, but the amount of spice completely ruined the flavor and aroma. Looking back at other reviews, it appears it was better last year, but this batch of Smashed Pumpkin will join the hall of fame as one of about 5 beers that conquered me and forced a pour-out.

1.44/5  rDev -60.8%

Thanks to Azurelimits for bringing this to our pumpkin tasting.

Pours a medium orange color with a thin off white head. The nose is quite strong and goes in all the wrong directions. It tastes quite a bit like someone melted a stick of butter on top of a pumpkin pie. The taste is quite awful, with a buttery, spiced flavor and not too much actual pumpkin coming through. Feel is really creamy and odd. I really did not like this one--definite drain pour. I should say that there were others who at least somewhat enjoyed it, so it's probably just me.

EDIT: Matt's review makes it clear that at least one more at the tasting found this to be thoroughly disgusting.

3.92/5  rDev +6.8%

750ml into DFH Signature Glass
Beer courtesy of TheSevenDuffs. Another great selection.

A- Clear copper/amber hued pour. Finger and a half off white head settling to a thin ring before you even put the bottle down. Carbonation is decent and lacing is minimal.

S- Pumpkin and cinnamon battle for supremacy, but both are not overly strong. Brown sugar and vanilla with a hint of nutmeg.

T- Wow. I can honestly say this is the first pumpkin beer I've had so far that was more nutmeg forward than anything. Usually its Cinnamon and pumpkin more than anything. They are there but much more pushed back than normally experienced. There is a sweetness that makes this very smooth and plesant. Alcohol is very well hidden.

M- Medium bodied. Sticky sweet on the lips. Dry finish and aftertaste from the nutmeg. I think I felt my salivary glands shrink.

D- The dryness makes this one a little tough to get used to but it tastes so damn good I need more.

3.45/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A clear orange appearance.

Medium strength aroma of spices

Malty flavor with additions of pumpkin pie spices.

has a bit of a tinge that I can't really explain, tingly, not very smooth.

Fairly drinkable, although some warm alcohol taste

Overall I like the beer in comparison to other pumpkin ales, certainly better than Shipyard's Pumpkinhead which I am not impressed with.

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

A: Orange amber, with good clarity and minimal carbonation. A fluffy cream cap has OK staying power and leaves just a little bit of lace.

S: Quite boozy. Pumpkin pie spices dominate with nutmeg, allspice and clove. Alcohol adds some heat, while some white grape rounds things out.

T: The spice theme continues. Pie spices dominate. They are bolstered by strong white wine flavors of grape and pepper. The pumpkin is there, but very subdued. Alcohol adds quite a bit of heat to the mix. Finishes spicy and warm.

M: The medium body is slightly grainy and has about the right amount of fizz.

D: This beer honestly didn't do much for me. The boozy character overshadowed the pumpkin and left the beer feeling off kilter. An OK, but no exceptional pumpkin beer.

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%

Comparatively speaking, the color is far different from most 'pumpkin' ales. It's a dark amber with a slight orange hue. Minimal head with good lacing though.

Spices are much more prevalent than the pumpkin in the nose. Definite nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin. It's kind of a relaxed smell, many others are very pungent, this one, not so much.

Taste is laid back as well. Right away, you get a warm and sweet pumpkin flavor. The spices dull away the sweetness, and hide the 9% fairly well. Nice rounded flavor.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Bomber poured into a glass.

A - Slightly hazy medium amber, smallish off white head that disappears within a few minutes. Very appealing.

S - Sweet fruit with a somewhat Belgian note coming through. No floral bitters, mostly spice (nutmeg?) and malt.

T - Very sweet, strong pumpkin flavor at the front, reminiscent of pumpkin pudding or carrot cake. Offset by a spicy character (again nutmeg, cinnamon) and relatively light malt. Some bitterness from the alcohol, but not nearly what I expected. Finishes with a deeper pumpkin flavor that's less sweet and more like pumpkin pie.

M - Some bitterness, slightly syrupy but that's expected from a 9% brew. Finish is crisp and warm from the alcohol.

D- It's 9%. It hides it pretty well, but it's still 9%, and the sweetness of the pumpkin flavor makes this one to be sipped and enjoyed slowly.

I'm not a huge fan of most pumpkin beers, but this one has a nice balance. I can honestly say I enjoyed it and would look for it again.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

22 oz. bottle purchased in Easthampton, MA 10/02/2010.

Appearance- Poured semi-vigorously into a nice thick two finger head that dissipates within 45 seconds. Lacing on the glass is immense- very nice! When held to the light the color is very orange.

Smell- Lots of fresh mashed pumpkin, good wholesome malts, cinnamon, and allspice.

Taste- Damn! There's that pumpkin flavor I like. This ranks up there with Dogfish Head Punkin & Southern Tier Pumking. Strong taste of pumpkin flesh completely matching the smell. Very filling flavor like a pumpkin pie- the strong flavors mask the 9% abv well.

Mouthfeel- Somewhere between an oktoberfest & a guinness. Very creamy and full.

Drinkability- Tastes great, The drinkability is perfect for what it is. Would not want more than a 22 oz. bomber in one session. Good after dinner beer. Skip the dessert on Sunday nite and kick back with a Smashed Pumpkin!

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful amber/copperish color. The smell smells of sweetness. It tastes on the sweeter side. Less spicy than many pumpkin ales and also not as thin, but sweeter and with a decidedly more pumpkin taste. The mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy. For a 9% beer that is somewhat thin there is not the alcohol taste I would expect. The alcohol is well hidden under the sweetness and syrupiness. As a style, pumpkin beers often disappoint me but this one is a solid one.

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

2009 Vintage. Picked this up last year but never got around to drinking it so I've been storing it ever since.

Appearance - Pours a lighter orange with about a finger of quickly dissipating head that leaves minimal lacing.

Smell - So...not what I am expecting. No joke, I get slight sour, barnyard funk. Perhaps this bottle is infected? I get very little spices though there is definite nutmeg, cinnamon, and then a hint of pumpkin - but overall there is a sour, lactic note?

Taste - Hot damn. There is a DEFINITE slight sour/tart bite as soon as the beer touches my tongue, but this goes away almost immediately when the rich pumpkin flavor and spices kick in. There is heavy spices including clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, and some allspice. Nice pumpkin flavor, and a subdued malty backbone. If this is how these all taste I will for SURE pick up another.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, decent carbonation, almost creamy.

Drinkability - A very different (perhaps by mistake?) but tasty pumpkin beer. There is a most definite infected quality to this pumpkin beer but by God it works. The quirky barnyard funk makes the spices and pumpkin flavor absolutely enticing. This is the most interesting, tasty, and easy to drink pumpkin beer I have come across. I feel this is an anomaly but hell if it will stop me from picking up another. Very enjoyable.

3.27/5  rDev -10.9%

Got a pint for $2.99 at Ramuntos in Lebanon NH.

Draft pour gives a small off-white head, a thin but stable bubbly layer with a thick meniscus along the glass. The brew is thin/ light orange. The head settles after a spell and leaves no lace. Smells of pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, and a good dose of earthy/ vegetal pumpkin pulp. Feel is very sharp... I thought it was all carbo at first, but upon reflection I think the hop and very cold temp contributed to the effect because it wasn't all that fizzy. Taste is stale ginger and nutmeg, some pumpkin, and hop... too hop-forward for the style, a heavy dose of earthy pine and moldy grass clippings.

As the brew warms up the feel and hop settle down quite a bit. Malt and pumpkin pie spice come forward. The second half of the pint was much more enjoyable than the first.

A mediocre pumpkin ale in my opinion. The most impressive thing about it is how well this thin brew covered the 9% ABV. I won't go out of my way to find it again, certainly glad I didn't pay the premium price for a bottle.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

Looks: like apple juice. Pours a perfectly clear light orange with a short-lived, fizzy head of pure white. The head quickly dissolves to a tiny ring. Not much in the way of retention.

Smells: like pumpkin pudding. Sweet pumpkin puree with whipped cream, apple juice, maple, nutmeg. Actually very nice.

Tastes: begins almost tangy before opening into light flavors of sweet pumpkin pie, with some more subtle maple and graham crackers emerging before a crisp finish.

Feels: fizzy. Some frothy medium carbonation massages the tongue while a smooth medium-light body swishes about. The alcohol heat is noticeable as it travels down the throat, but only if you're looking for it.

Drinks: like pumpkin ale light. Smashed Pumpkin has a lot of flavor smashed in there, but a light body and crisp, lager-like finish make it easy-drinking. Loved the aroma, liked the flavor --a nice example of a pumpkin ale.

4.32/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours a clear slightly golden orange color with a rising white head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells of cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.

Tastes of plenty of spice with sweetness backing it up. Spices are typical pumpkin pie spices characterized by cinnamon and nutmeg. Malt sweetness adds depth and some softness. Not too sweet. Alcohol is prevalent and provides a warming.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a creamy amount of carbonation.

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Never planned on even trying a pumpkin ale as the flavored thing doesn't grab me much. As a novelty, or a holiday thing or if it's a gift - whatever, that's fine. But seeking it out and paying for it? No.

Was at the beer store today and they were giving taste samples of this one and another Shipyard pumpkin beer. I chose this one, the stronger of the two.

I was pleasantly surprised in the sense that I didn't hate it and really, I didn't know what to expect. I think the conditions that would need to be present for me to actually choose this beer are really specific. If it's cold out, there are apples and leaves in the yard, a fire going, mashed potatoes and pot-pies - heck yeah I'll take one. But not more than one.

A: Golden, clear, little bubbles, half a finger of foam that disappears quickly.

S: Slight aroma of all the spices to come later in the taste.

T: Pumpkin(duh), nutmeg or allspice, cloves, cinnamon, basically - Fall potpourri. Flavor is okay. No bad afters.

M: Mid-high carbonation, taste doesn't linger long.

D: Well here's the thing, I suppose someone could drink this all night. Someone out there loves pumpkin flavored beer and can't wait all year to get some. Me - I'm good with one. It's not cloying or offensive, it's just - um, Pumpkin. If you're looking for pumpkin pie in an ale form - here you go.

This has made me open to taste a few more pumpkin brews. And it's certainly not the worst beer I've had. But I'm not purchasing it of my own free will.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

A: nice golden bright Orange color good looking head good head retention as well.

S: Pumpkin Spice cinnamon Nutmeg also some hops in there

T: Mild Pumpkin Spice with some hops its not as sweet as I expected a bit of alcohol as well

M: med mouth med carbonation

D: drinkable

overall: A decent pumpkin beer but nothing great here its kind of just above average.

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22oz bottle into 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours slightly hazy golden-orange in color with a large head that has a slight orange tint to it. The head dissipates fairly quickly and leaves behind a thick ring of lace and lots of foam.

Smell: Very sweet pumpkin dominates, which is backed up by sweet malts. Also has hints of spicy nutmeg.

Taste: Begins with a sweet wheat/caramel flavor along with pumpkin hints, finishing with mild nutmeg spiciness and some more pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: Heavy body with light, natural carbonation and a slightly watery, alcoholic finish.

Drinkability: A pretty good beer, and definitely a sipper. However, this one lacks enough balance to make it great.

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

I typically don't care for pumpkin beers, but my lady loves 'em and we decided to give this one a shot and split it.
It pours a hazy orange color that almost glows, with a big white head that faded away pretty quick.
Aroma of pumpkin and nutmeg.
It has quite a bit of pumpkin flavor, unlike most pumpkin beers which are way too over-spiced in my opinion. Although there are a lot of the traditional things going on, mainly nutmeg and clove, it is at just the right amount. It tastes pretty damn good.
This beer is a bit hot and I enjoy the extra alcohol to warm me up. Being that is is fairly carbonated, it goes down quite smooth. This has to be the best pumpkin beer I've had yet, although I probably wouldn't buy again because I realize this style just isn't for me.

4.44/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

This was a 2009 vintage that I purchased in Maine and cellared for a year.

A-Bright unfiltered copper with an ample eggshell head that settles after a bit into a scuddy ring.

S-Interesting. I am not picking up the huge pumpkin spice flavors that usually come with these ales, but more of a malty pumpkin pulp nose with a hint of spice which is quite pleasing.

T-Slighly sweet Pumpkin and or squash fused with caramel malt and nutmeg, perhaps a hint of cinnamon thrown in as well, but definately subtle on the spices. Some astringent hops and warming alcohol in the background as well. This is superb, and what a pumpkin ale should be.

M-Medium creamy with ample carbonation and a slight sticky residue.

D-I love pumpkin ales, and I love spiced ales, and too often they are one in the same. Saranac, Post Road, Dogfish Punkin, even Pumpking, all are a variation on the heavily spiced seasonal ale theme. Even Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin (probably my favorite) falls short of this effort, which, brings to mind the carving of a Jack O Lantern on a crisp fall day.

Shipyard is a very good brewery, and Pugsley, if you read this, knock it off with the Pumpkinhead (which is so subtle that while not horrible, it is simply a noncontender). This is a world class pumpkin ale that is the stalking horse for the style.

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from 22oz bottle. Aged one year in the cellar before opening.

A- Pours a golden orange with light amber tones. One finger white head shows light retention. Light ringing lacing on the sides of the glass as it is drank down.

S- Big aromas of nutmeg and pumpkin. There is a light underlying caramel malt with light cinnamon. There is a light alcohol bite on the backend that tingles the nose that gets covered lightly by allspice.

T- Pumpkin and nutmeg with a hint of cinnamon on the upfront. This dies down in the middle with some light caramel bready malts. The flavor picks back up to allspice and light clove notes. Alcohol big in the backend but settle.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the beer. Big amount of spices left on the palate with warming alcohol on the aftertaste. Flavors are well put together which I find a joy since most Shipyard beers I've had are not balanced. Alcohol very drying on the palate. Clean tasting throughout.

D- This beer was fantastic! Much more so than when it is fresh. The higher ABV limits this beer but still I would have no problem drinking 22oz's by myself. After that though I would move onto something else.

4.56/5  rDev +24.3%

A crystal clear orange brew with fine carbonation. Lovely tiny bubbles! Aroma is lightly sweet, pumpkin and spice. Flavors are incredibly well balanced. All of the elements dance so well together. Sweet pumpkin and malts, spices and hops. Nothing is overdone. Very, very smooth and drinkable. 9%? who knew! Fantastic well made stuff!

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle from 2010. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours an orange/amber color with about a half inch off-white head that went away quickly. Not much lacing at all. Aroma is mostly spicy, the brew smells like nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin and cinnamon. Taste is similar to the aroma, but there's a little bit of booze noticable in the flavor. I think the aroma is better than the taste, as the pumpkin spice flavors aren't quite as strong compared to the strength of the spices in the aroma. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit slick with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is decent enough, it's not hard to drink at all. Not a bad pumpkin ale, but it's not one of my favorites, either. I'd try this again in the future.

4.06/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Heard good things about this brew so I picked a bottle up. 22oz, 2010 bottle...

A: Golden copper color with a 1 inch white head that fades at a decent pace. Very good.

S: Get some piney spices upfront with some brown sugar and pumpkin in the middle and some bready rye on the backend. Decent.

T: Hmm, not bad. Kind of a piney pumpkin pie. I get brown sugar and piney spice upfront quickly followed by pum pkin flavors. Some alcohol burn on the back. Very good.

M: Medium body with a thick carbonation. Decent.

D: This one goes down good once you get past the interesting pine flavor. Good.

All in all, this is a very good pumpkin brew. To me this is second to ST Pumpking and neck and neck with Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin. Worth trying at least once, but hunt Pumpking first.

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

It's a good looking beer with a transparent orange-amber color and a creamy off-white head. Lots of sweet pumpkin pie spice in the aroma. The pumpkin flavor shows up in a supporting role. It's a bit too sugary, but it kind of works with the spice. The beer tastes fairly sweet, but there's lots of spice here as well. It reminds me of an English Barleywine mixed with pumpkin pie. The booze is relatively light and just provides warmth. It's a big, smooth beer. Gets better as it warms. Very full mouthfeel, particularly for the style. I'm not always a big fan of pumpkin ales or Shipyard, but this is a very nice beer. Good to drink slowly.

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.