Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) | Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)
3.73/5

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Added by Casey10 on 08-31-2009

Ratings: 1,628 |  Reviews: 485
3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

There are so many pumpkin ales out there... and only a handful of them stand out to me as ones I would buy regularly. So to put it lightly, I am a little wary of this one. I have had the Pumpkinhead from Shipyard and did not really enjoy it, but this time I am going off a recommendation from a trusted friend. For the appearance, this is quite good for the style... a darkened amber with excellent clarity, and even some carbonation, despite the high 9% ABV. A thin ring of white sits atop the liquid appropriately.

The aroma is fantastic... I am beginning to think this is going to exceed my expectations by a longshot. It smells similar to Pumking, one of my fav. pumpkin brews. There's a bready, pie crust type of base definitely present, and I'm picking up true, organic pumpkin scents and the suitable spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and perhaps a touch of clove.

Taste: Okay, I will say that it tastes very good and better than expected, but there are some negatives. One does get the full 'pumpkin pie' flavors that I mentioned in the aroma, and I do taste real pumpkin here, which is rare, but like it seems they overdid it with the spices. I have a palate for the bitter, hot, and spicy, but I still say this is a little too much. I think cinnamon is the culprit . Other than that, the mouthfeel is dialed in perfectly, and the finish thankfully provides a return to the initial balanced flavor, the one experienced for a second and expected from the aroma, before the giant cinnamon/spice spike barged in.

Overall, I *might* buy this again due to the "realness" of the flavor. Everything tastes natural but again, too spicy.

2014 Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin Review:

Poured fairly hard from a 650 ML bottle into a Black Hole Beer Company snifter. 9.0% ABV.

Appearance - Three finger eggshell white head that lasts for quite some time. Good lacing. Amber, reddish color. Can see through the beer just fine, very clear. No floaters noted. 3.25

Smell - Lots of cinnamon. Little bit of pumpkin. Not getting much of the typical nutmeg, clove or allspice. Smells very sweet with some bready notes. Almost like one of those cinnamon graham crackers. I like this. 4.25

Taste - Follows the aroma almost exactly. Cinnamon really coats your whole mouth up front and then it's followed through with some good biscuit notes. Bitterness from the spice at the very end. Alcohol also comes through, but not to where it's bad or overtakes the beer. It does linger in the back some though. Honestly just too much cinnamon. Really not picking up much of any pumpkin. 3

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Probably a little bit bigger due to ABV. Good carbonation. Mouthfeel seems right for this beer. 3.5

Overall - I remember thinking high of this last year. Don't know if it changed or I did, but I'm not blown away. Really if the cinnamon was toned down and pumpkin toned up, along with some of the other spices, this beer could be a lot better. Not unenjoyable, just not great. 3.5

2.5/5  rDev -33%

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.96/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a bomber to a snifter.

A: Looks similar to a DIPA, dark golden orange with a small white head.

S: The smell on this beer is probably the best I have smelt for a pumpkin beer. Probably the closest smelling to pumpkin pie in a glass that I have tried. Smells pretty sweet. Pie crust and sweet malts. As it warmed I got more of the vegetal pumpkin smell.

T: Pumpkin, nutmeg, spices. Tartness on the end, especially as it warms, like lemon. May be from the hops addition, can't decide if it is bitter or tart, or maybe it's both.

M: Medium bodied. Fairly easy to drink with the alcohol not detectable. Somewhat sticky mouthfeel. On the end I get that slight tart fruity note. Average carbonation.

Overall I think this was a pretty good pumpkin beer. I think the smell was this beer's greatest strength. As it warmed I was losing interest, sort of one note and tart, which is kind of strange for a pumpkin beer.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.73 out of 5 with 1,628 ratings