Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) | Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series)

Shipyard Brewing Co.
Maine, United States

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Added by Casey10 on 08-31-2009

Reviews: 474 | Ratings: 1,606
3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

To be completely honest I'm not the biggest advocate of seasonal pumpkin ales, but Shipyard's smashed pumpkin had me hoping for the harvest festival and dinner around the Thanksgiving table with family - which just goes to show that great beers conjure memories.

A - Murky copper and orange with a trickling of lacing that lingers as you sip.

S - A bit syrupy, but strong notes of pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, all the holiday flavors permeating through the glass.

T - Rich and sweet, a deconstruction of pumpkin pie as a beer. The individual notes of ginger, nutmeg, and the rest of the holiday spices really to emulate the holiday pie with stunning precision.

M - Light, pleasant and carbonated, although a bit on the syrupy side for my liking.

Overall a solid pumpkin ale, which is slightly high praise because I've never been much of a fan of the style.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a light amber with less than a finger of white foamy head that quickly fades to just a slim cover and slowly drags down the side of the glass.

Typical pleasant aromas of a pumpkin pie. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and sweet pumpkin.

The flavor is a close match to the smell with cinnamon dominating the palate. Their is just a bit of noticeable heat.

Medium bodied, mildly sweet and just a bit dry. Plenty of carbonation.

Not a bad pumpkin beer, but probably not my favorite. I'll probably use the rest of my bomber to make an orange and black with some Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

3.94/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a light orange color with a 2 finger head that quickly dissipates. Minimal lacing left behind.

S: Smell is of pumpkin and nutmeg. A touch of cinnamon and clove. Something sweet is also
there but I can't quite put my finger on it.

T: Taste is mainly of nutmeg with some maltiness. Pumpkin is there, but not as detectable as it
is on the nose. Clove is also coming through. Some sweetness on the finish.

M: Mouthfeel is smooth with a medium body. Carbonation is medium-high. For it being 9% abv I
must say the alcohol is masked very well and is only really perceived once the beer becomes warm.

O: Overall I felt this beer had a bit more spice then pumpkin flavors. It wasn't one of the best pumpkin ales, but it was good. The alcohol was masked insanely well for 9% abv. I would pick this up again.

2.78/5  rDev -24%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Harpoon tulip

A - very fine off white head generates lots of tight lacing and clings to the glass. Burns off slowly leaving a thin cap. Color is pumpkin orange with some chill haze. Little streams of active bubbles evident.

S - Pumpkin primarily, with lots of spices, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, allspice, and a distinct alcohol presence underneath. A slight cereal malt note makes its way in too.

T - Here is where it all fell apart. The first taste is sweet pumpkin pie but very quickly there's an overwhelming flavor of raw pumpkin rind. Vegetable, dirt, and rotten squash. After that finally dissipates you are left with a finish that is bitter and noticeably alcoholic.

M - quite nice actually, the tingly carbonation fights the sticky sweet mouthfeel

O - I really wanted to like this beer. The regular Shipyard pumpkin is one of my favorites of the style, but this disappointed. I tried sip after sip to see if it would grow on me or mellow out as it warmed, but I could not get over that vegetal, raw, rind flavor.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

Snuck out of work early to watch the Steelers (hate 'em) vs. Bengals (how can you hate them? Thanks for Corey Dillon!) on Monday night football. This is what the fall is all about. I'm not sure why, but the Shipyard Pugley's was begging to be poured tonight...why fight it?

22oz bottle poured into my Sam Oktoberfest mug. No visible dating on the bottle. I'm fairly sure it this year's, but you can never be sure these days...

A- Pour is fairly clear, deep deep orange. Sizeable, active head with some big old bubbles.

S- Muted for a beer of this stature. Some malts, a bit of cinnamon, but not a ton going on here.

T- Decent malt body with a dose of balanced pumpkin topped off with some spices - I think it's cinnamon, but I'm not on my game tonight, so I could be off the mark on that one. (edit - bottle says nutmeg. I concur). Spice is certainly forward, but not overpowering.

M- Lively. Good body, but not chewy. Perhaps on the thin side for 9% ABV, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Goes down smooth.

D- Admittedly, the nutmeg gets a bit tedious towards the end of the bomber. Body is thin enough for a beer of this size to keep it reasonably drinkable. I put back the first half quite quickly, but was smacked with the 9% ABV (certainly drank like less).

Overall- not bad. Not my favorite pumpkin beer by any stretch of the imagination, and frankly not all that original or memorable. But solid nonetheless and overall a pleasing experience. I've drank my fair share of pumpkinhead (and then some...my buddies love it, so it's often the best option around) so I came into this with fairly low expectations, so it certainly exceeded this low bar. Don't seek this out, but at ~$7/bomber, it fits the bill for this Monday night showdown.

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Pours Pumpkin color wasn't this suppose to be a brown ale. Looks like a solid golden color, little carbonation nice head not to heavy really just a finger our so.

S- Smells like Pumpkin pie, very sweet smell almost a creamy custard smell to it. I also get some allspice and cinnamon in the background, I'm going to let it warm up and see if it gets better. Its been a solid 20 minutes I don't smell to much of a difference dare I say its even going down. I really hoped it was going to really open up in smell.

M- I get really sweet melon taste, lots of a malt on the front I get some of the Herby cinnamon taste and allspice, not as much as that custard pumpkin taste as in the smell. I'm not sure I'm tasting the burn from the 9% alcohol or the burnt spice from the hops.

M- Really sticky, heavy from the malt, the carbonation is right where I want it to be. The alcohol is highly and how little of a burn there is I really enjoy that.

O- I'm so used to Pumpkin beers really just being all Allspice, mixed with heavy syrupy flavor. This really takes the other creamy side really focusing on the side of the pumpkin/melon taste. Overall not bad, I want more aroma but a good beer for a pumpkin beer and for the holidays.

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a mostly clear, copper with a two-finger thick off white head that dissipates to a lingering ring, leaving little lacing behind.

Aromas of spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove), pumpkin pie, light malts, and faint citrus hops.

Well balanced taste of biscuity pale malts, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and vanilla. The pumpkin is very present but not over-powering. Slight bitterness and dry finish.

Medium mouthfeel, nicely carbonated. This brew is smooth from start to finish, no harsh bite. The ABV% is well hidden and only detectable through alcohol warmth, no diacytel or astringent taste/aroma.

Even though I'm not a big fan of pumpkin brews, this one definitely stands out amongst the others I've tried. Just a well-made beer.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Slightly hazy amber with big dissipating head

S- Spicy, pumpkin, malts

T- Clove/spice, pumpkin, malt, alcohol, hops, malts again

M- Quick, bubbly, medium body

O- A complex seasonal/specialty beer that not for everyday drinking. Well made. Essentially Pumpkin pie booze.

Might Drink
Might Buy
Wouldn't Make

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

August means pumpkin beer! Well, I guess it does now...
I poured this into the suggested glassware (shaker glass) from one of those classy looking 22oz bottle.

How's it look?
Cloudy, yet glowing, orange body with a wisp of bright white foam on top. The head fades quickly into a ring.

How's it smell?
Smells are all of fresh spices and fruit, aromas of nutmeg and orange peel are strongest.

How's it taste?
Refreshing, light taste. More like a wheat beer strained through a pumpkin pie. It picks up the scent of pumpkin, but it does not hold the robust flavors of this typical fall season beer, with the exception of some nutmeg. The 9% alcohol is virtually untraceable.

Light on the finish; there is a hint of cinnamon and pepper.

2.82/5  rDev -23%

look -hazy copper with 2 fingers of white head worth light carbonation and lacing.

smell-cinnamon and ginger and strong alcohol

Taste-some spices of nutmeg, , ginger and brown sugar with a dry bitterness at the end. the warmer it got the better it tasted.

feel -is medium

I again as with many of these Pumpkin beers get very little of a pumpkin taste and instead get a strong hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. Sorry but if I purchase a Pumpkin beer well then that's what I expect. The warmer this beer got the better it taste but it still was leaving my mouth very dry and just unsatisfied. letter grad would be a D+

2.99/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

To give this one credit I did discover last year's batch lurking in my beer cellar, but it clocks in at 9% ABV so I figured it would still be drinkable. Aroma has malty sweetness, nutmeg, and an earthy tartness. The color is a slightly hazy deep orange, with a large white head. Flavor has an initial burst of sweet malt, fading to a pleasant nutmeg character. This has some Sweet-Tart flavors in the tail end mixed with a musty earthiness. Very notable alcohol burn and a bitter astringent finish. Starts great, ends not so good. Perhaps the age has hurt this one, but I haven't had it fresh so I just have to judge based on what is in my glass! I give it a low score for the unpleasant finish--wife and I didn't finish it.

4.59/5  rDev +25.4%

First off, I seriously doubted that i could ever find a decent Pumpkin Ale. I Always finished a pint disappointed. The idea of having a beer made of Pumpkins is inventive and brings memories to some, of childhood and Halloween or thanksgiving. Unfortunately I've always had something tasting closer to a Pumpkin malt liquor or worse a Pumpkin soda then a beer. Fortunately I found Shipyards Smashed Pumpkin.

Poured from a 22oz bomber ABV 9%, never have I seen a Pumpkin beer boasting that high of a ABV. They always intend these as session beers for the holidays one of the reasons why i never think they do well.

A-Copper color with a orange hue, head dissipates but remains about a quarter finger. Pretty disent in appearance, rather slow responding carbonation but then again i poured this at a 60 degree temp, they recommend 55.

Smell- Finally, a complex, deep and well festive concoction. Very on point to what these beers should smell like, nothing artificial here. Smells like a well crafted complex brew. Upfront right away is not what you expect, Cinnamon! hot peppered candy cinnamon. Then the pumpkin presents itself, strait out of what seems like a hot oven. Ginger, deep rummy molasses. Smells very warming almost like a hot steaming Pumpkin pie to hot to cut into. Very inviting. Great malt sweetness and pumpkin come through well.

Taste- like eating warm alcohol soaked pumpkin pie crust. Don’t let me stray you away from this beer, it is very much a beer and taste like one. Warming spice infused with the high ABV just relaxes you and gears you up for the holidays. It really warms you up. Tastes of Cinnamon, ginger, all spice, rum and well more unsweetened baked pumpkin. Must be the malts they use but it resembles to me sweet pie crust. Delicious!

Mouthful/D/O- coats your mouth well, the pumpkin ale flavor lingers and dissipates just in time for you to want to take another sip. Leaving this beer fairly drinkable and tade bit dangerous for being a high ABV at 9%. Really though thanksgiving and Halloween isn’t that what you want!? Anyways great stuff, truly the only Pumpkin beer I've ever been impressed by. Go out and buy it today if you can.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

Served from a bottle into glass; not a very impressive pumpkin beer. Considering some of the other beers in the style, I don't really see any reason to purchase this one over the others. Very subtle pumpkin notes (too subtle) and a bitter finish. No problem finishing the bottle; but next time I'm going with a pumpking.

4.76/5  rDev +30.1%

A golden orange color with a sweet pumpkin smell. The taste has a sweet fruit like flavor to the pumpkin taste and a smooth kind of mead thickness. Overall a must try!!

4.29/5  rDev +17.2%

22oz 2011 vintage poured into a Hair of the Dog Tulip. I've had this beer in the past but this is the first time this season.

Appearance: Pale golden copper color. Unexpectedly like a wheat or pale ale for a pumpkin beer. Aggressive pour with a large foam head that dwindles into a halo around the top of the brew.

Smell: Robust smell of smashed (hah) and pureed pumpkin pie and fresh pumpkins. Very minimal on the flavors common to this style such as cinnamon. Hints of nutmeg, light roasted malts and the fainest nose of hop grassyness underneath all that pumpkin.

Taste: Sweet sugar, candied pumpkins and pumpkin pie followed by a dash of nutmeg a pinch of chewy malt and finished off by grassy hops and a slight alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, slight lacing after each sip, thick and heavy mouthfeel that works well with this style.

Overall: A pretty solid pumpkin ale considering Shipyard's other offering. Good brew to tide one over till September.

4.76/5  rDev +30.1%

This beer is truly something different and stands out from other pumpkin beers out there. It has very rich flavor of pumpkin complimented with a slighter notes of yams, cranberry, and cinnamon to liven it up. It has a bold and ripe flavor that is quite refreshing compared to most pumpkin beers with load up on spice and lack on pumpkin flavor. To me, its very well done. Its an absolute pleasure to drink and I would recommend to anyone!

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance-Cloudy golden amber with an eggshell foam that dissipates quickly out of the bottle.

Smell-Cinnamon. Nutmeg. Pumpkin.

Taste-Lots of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin. Same as the nose. Slight cherry from the ale itself but this is pretty much liquefied pumpkin bread.

Mouthfeel-Lighter style makes for easier drinking and has a great, long finish.

Overall-A little strange to be drinking in August but come October when the temperatures start to drop and yams are in season this is going to be a necessity.

3.12/5  rDev -14.8%

Look: This beer looks good, nice head that stays around, light copper color. Compared to other pumpkin beers I think this looks far better.

Smell: Holy shit, what did they make this out of? It smells like a pumpkin pie, but there is something really off. Its almost as if you accidentally dumped in all the nutmeg and clove. Its overpowering and off-putting to me. There is underlying sweetness as well. Overtime it becomes less off putting as you become used to it.

Taste: Remember when you were a kid and thought because of the smell vanilla or spices would taste good. It is the same experience with this beer. At first the taste is over-powering and too strong. Luckily though, there is enough sweetness in this beer and eventually you become taste-blind. The redeeming quality is that it does try to replicate the flavor of a pumpkin pie.

Feel: Nothing wrong here. It doesn't taste too hot, too sticky, or weird carbonation. Beats quite a few other beers of this style that seems to have messed up carbonation.

Overall: This is a beer that when you are pouring it looks great. The initial smell is promising but then overwhelming. The taste at first is too strong, but overtime it does become better. I think that mixing this beer with Southern Tier Pumking might taste good.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Before I get to the criteria, great photo!, and I want to say this beer tastes more like pumpkin pie than any I've had.

An orangish light brown resting beautifully in a goblet. The head pretty quickly dissipates. Not cloudy, though the color holds in the light.

Smell, again, is all pumpkin pie, and the sort that implies you need to eat a slice. Nutmeg is enjoyably present, perking the taste buds for what comes next.

Taste, as I've mentioned, is: on-point-after-Thanksgiving-dinner pumpkin pie. Not too sweet in any respect; more of the allspice that is vital to a good pumpkin pie, the perfect stir of nutmeg, without the cinnamon overtaking it. Not much else to say about it, but don't think I'm not enjoying this one!

Mouthfeel is great. Thick enough to meet the expectations of the type, but equally easy drinking. The allspice lingers in the back of the mouth, though not detrimentally - kind of just reminding you what you're drinking. A damn good time if your looking for the pied version of a pumpkin ale. Thank you Pugsley!

Appearance - a hazy orange color with about a finger of foam

Smell - a pumpkin smell with some alcohol tinge to it

Taste - is very similar to a pumpkin pie with a hint of beer added in... its very different but yet very enjoyable

Mouthfeel - very smooth and refreshing, perfect for the fall

Drinkability - very drinkable, nice and easy and goes down very smooth

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear orange color with a nice small head. Head dissipates to a little brim around the glass. Little to no lacing.

S: Pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Caramel malts. Smells largely spicy though.

T: Pumpkin and nutmeg up front, cinnamon on the way down. Sweet, but balanced by booziness of the beer. Nice warming sensation on the way down.

M: Decent carbonation. Goes down nicely considering the high abv. Not too dry of a finish, leaves you wanting another sip.

D: Easy to drink. Could definitely see myself going through a couple of these tonight. Problem is the high price tag...

4.29/5  rDev +17.2%

The third stop on my tour of this years pumpkin beers, this is another brew that I've been waiting for, the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin Ale. When I was introduced to this one last year, the representative explained to me about the creation of the Smashed Pumpkin. From what I understood, the Pumpkinhead has become so popular, that altering the recipe would be impossible. But, they wanted to kick the pumpkin up a notch, and what was born was the "Smashed Pumpkin."

The Smashed Pumpkin pours out a darker shade of burnt orange, to almost a tawny or rust color. The foam is lighter in color than the Weyerbacher, more of an old lace hue. The foam is much more lively though, a full two-fingers, with plenty of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. There's actually so much carbonation that I'm surprised a screw-cap holds this beer back properly.

I take a wiff, and oh yes, that's nice. Lots of sweet pumpkin aromas on the nose, but fairly mild on the spice side of things. For a 9% abv, I can't smell the alcohol at all; it's completely over-powered by the pumpkin. I can get some hints of typical pumpkie pie spices, but they are very subtle.

And after taking a sip, I'm still enjoying this experience thoroughly. Following suit with the aromas, there's quite a bit of sweet pumpkin on my palate, but very little spices. The pumpkin is not intense though, it's a very soft, smooth, sweeter style of pumpkin flavor. There is still a touch of spices there, but hard to pick out. Like the smell of the Smashed Pumpkin, it's as if someone was just cutting into a fresh pumpkin pie. You know, for that minute or two before you bite into it, when you can smell the pumpkin, but barely detect the spices. As the beer warms up to room temperature, the spices are a bit more evident, but still hidden behind the pumpkin itself.

In conclusion, by third stop on the Pumpkin Brew trail has been a very nice stop. The Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin is a pumpkin-dominated big-boy beer for the folks that really love pumpkin beer (like me). It's a little sweet, relatively easy drinking, and a pretty good representation of pumpkin beer. If you see one on the shelf, give it a try!

1.56/5  rDev -57.4%

Horrible. A sickly sweet syrupy mess with one hell of an alcohol burn. No balance, weak body, pale uninspiring color. Just not a good beer, and for almost $10 a bottle I feel ripped off. It's clear that there are few pumpkin ales that are more than a gimmick.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

pours a nice golden hazy honey color. one finger head. retention is average. almost non existent lacing.

not really much on the nose initially. a little nutmeg. strong pumpking flavor after awhile. a little musty

strong canned pumpkin flavor. spices. nutmeg. maybe cloves. nice sweetness. tart. little hop bitterness or flavor. very sweet. a little overwhelming

good carbonation. texture is not bad. slightly syrupy

i dont understand the Fs and D-s this gets. This is a pretty good pumpkin beer. I'd put it up there with punkin and pumking.

2.67/5  rDev -27%

Comes in a bomber with a fancy gold wrapper around the neck, and pours a dark reddish orange with a head that quickly fades. The smell is spicy and sweet. Rhe taste is way spicey, I think I taste peppermint or cinamon, unfortunaley not so much the pumpkin spice I was hoping for. The sweet spice is so overpowering on this one that I think it could be an X-mas beer rather than a fall pumpkin.

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.