Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) | Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)

Shipyard Brewing Co.
Maine, United States
shipyard.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Jason on 05-11-2011

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Big up to andrenaline for including this in our latest cross country trade
A - deep burgundy black, thumb of tan head retained very well and left consistent lacing
S - coffee, cocoa, mild peat earthiness, and a lingering scent of blueberry that you get as soon as the bottle cracks and lasting through the finish
T - big cocoa and roasted coffee up front, some peat and woody/earthy flavours, and the blueberry has a fruity and medicine like quality throughout, with a touch of boozy heat
M - slightly heavy, lightly chalky with a light dry finish
O - this is a big beer in every sense, the contrast of malty, fruity, and peat works for me, maybe not for everyone but i could drink this all day, which is probably not a good idea since the high octane is very well hidden

2.95/5  rDev -24.7%

Had this beer at the Amesbury Beer Festival on Sep 22 2012.

Most of the beers were served from bottles into small 3oz plastic pixie cups.

Although I took notes on the 20+ different beers that I tried, it is difficult to remember all of the details associated with each beer. My apologies to readers of these notes. However, I did pay attention to my overall scores, and noted what I thought were unique positives and negatives w/ each beer.

Note that for me:
< 2.5 = probably would not finish the beer
3.0 = drinkable beer, but likely would not buy again or look for
>3.5 = will try to buy again in the future

For a bit of a beer snob, I tend to like several fruity beers (blueberry, BlueMoon). This beer started out real interesting. Aroma was quite good, with strong coffee and blueberry notes. The appearance was great, reminding me of a heavy imperial stout.

At first, I thought the taste of the coffee and blueberry worked. But that after-taste put me off. Perhaps a bit too bitter and strong. Didn't end up finishing my 3oz sampler.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

2.13/5  rDev -45.7%

Purchased a 625 ml bottle at the local liquor store

Upon opening this beer, i got a huge whiff of blueberry in my face, which made me really happy. It smelled fantastic, like real blueberries. It poured wonderfully, with 1.5 fingers of off white creamy head that dissipated pretty quickly.

Sadly, for me, that is where the goodness ended. This beer had very little of that delicious blueberry smell, and was just not my cup of tea. I thought it was terribly balanced, and really fought to finish the bottle.

Glad i picked it up to try, but i will be avoiding this one from now on.

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Found at My Place in Newtown, CT this one is a thick black brown color with a decent tan head and very nice lacing. The aroma has a beautiful blueberry chocolate malt theme that is luscious with an impression of some lemony hop mixed in for good measure! Very nice. The flavor brings along an even bolder blueberry malt with deep berry sweetness and beautiful chocolate malt. I get a bit of a medicinal, Dr. Pepper mintiness and generally I find this to be a delicious concoction. Unusual perhaps but a beautiful and natural fruit combo in my book. The body is medium with modest but adequate carbonation for a somewhat resinous and luxurious feel. A definite hit for me, perhaps the best Shipyard I’ve had yet!

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.