Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) | Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series)
3.85/5
Very Good

Shipyard Brewing Co.
Maine, United States
shipyard.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Jason on 05-11-2011

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours almost black with just a hint of light coming through at the edges. There is a finger of tan head that fades away to just a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Really nice. The first thing that hits you is the smell of sweet, natural blueberry, go figure. In the background there is some roast, but the fruit really dominates.

Taste: There is a lot going on here. The blueberry hits the tongue first, but it's not nearly as dominant as it was in the smell. After that, there is a bitter roast that just comes out of nowhere, but it's a very welcome addition to the party. Finally, there is a hoppy blueberry finish with a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the thick side of medium. The carbonation seemed to be a tad high, and the finish is a bit slick.

Overall: I really liked the flavor combination here. The roast with the fruit was well balanced. I would have another.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Pour is a light porter with a healthy sticky tan head.

S: Aromas of sweet artificial blueberry smells, sweet scotch ale characteristics of butterscotch, deep roasted malts and patent malt from the porter mixture.

T: This is a nice beer. I was really surprised at all of the different flavors in here, each battling it out for the crown of who is in control. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy this beer it is not quite balanced. I do commend the beer for putting all of these different characteristics together under one roof. It is definitely a nice mixture of beer; each flavor popping its head out to say hi.

M: Slightly boozy and light for 9% abv, medium carbonation and a light body.

O: Pretty good. I would drink it again, which I probably would not do with all of the Pugsley line. This is a slight mess, but interesting.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a dark black color with a light tan head with solid lacing and retention.

S- The blueberry notes are very strong in this beer. In fact, I got a strong whiff of them the instant I opened the bottle. The blueberry notes in the aroma remind me more of the blueberry scented markers that I remember using as a kid in school than actual fresh blueberries. Behind the blueberries, I can pick up some chocolate and a touch of alcohol.

I will say that the aroma opens up quite a bit as the beer warms in the glass and the chocolate and coffee notes become a little more prevalent which is a good thing.

T- The taste is very sweet with some chocolate and coffee up front with the blueberries coming in towards the finish and some warmth from the alcohol as well.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, Smashed Blueberry was more of an interesting beer that i was glad to have tried because I have never tried a beer quite like it before. With that said, I don't think I would purchase it again. The blueberry flavors are too artificial and the sweetness was a little too much for me.

4.74/5  rDev +23.1%

Serving type was 22 oz bomber bottle. Poured into a pint glass. The aroma was amazing. First whiff was of blueberries but as the beer opened up, chocolate and coffee emerged. Taste was amazing. Very similer to the nose. Blueberries, followed by chocolate and a touch of roasted coffee on the finish. As the beer opened up the chocolate became more pronounced. Mouthfeel is good. I love this beer! It has quickly become one of my favs!

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

On tap at World of Beer, Sarasota FL

Poured deep, dark brown with a scant off-white head. No lacing, but with a beer this high in alcohol, I'm not surprised. Garnet hues in the light. Very pretty. Unexpected color tones for a blueberry beer.

The blueberry is quite prominent. Not the fake kind either, I get a ton of sweet berries followed by a mysterious porter-like chocolate and very nice caramel/treacle undertones. Alcohol is not detected in the nose. Very inviting.

A sweet forefront of blueberries, blackberries, toffee, and barley. A blend of Belgian dark chocolate and toast follows, then finishing with blueberry dark chocolate and chocolate covered expresso beans. This is pretty much a blueberry imperial porter, but you'll never tell it's imperial because the alcohol is so well hidden.

A medium rich body akin to that of a nice English porter. Carbonation is well done, not too bitey, not too flat. It actually accentuates the body and brings out the fruity notes a bit.

Overall, a very well done beer. Flavors are assertive and well expressed, yet not overdone. Not cloying at all. This is one I will seek out. Thank you, Shipyard, for finally making a beer of which I am a huge fan. I will seek this out in bottled form.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A-pours a blue black with a fingers worth of tan head that sticks to the glass

S-the minute you open the beer the blueberry smell explodes, malt and brown sugar round it out

T-taste is not as heavy on blueberries as the smell was, but they are still very much in charge and give a nice sweetness to the beer. Roasted malt and a bitter coffee like taste finish it out.

M-medium to full body, moderate carbonation, dry and smooth

Overall I usually don't go for the fruity beers but this one is very good and has a nice, interesting balance of a porter/scotch and fruit beer

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at Union Brewhouse, the best taproom on Boston's South Shore.

I actually canceled my plans today so that I could come back and taste this beer again, it was so intriguing yesterday.

Pours very dark with a thin espresso colored head.

The aroma is blueberries and then some.

But the blueberries do not carry the taste. This is first and foremost a porter with the blueberries just adding the natural caramel sweetness. Calling this a fruit beer is very misleading.

Once again, like he has done with the Pugsley's Smashed Pumpkin and his take on Barleywine, Alan Pugsley has created on of the most amazing beers of the year here. Then flavors are complex, 9% ABV is there, but not boozy there and the flavors keep calling you back for more.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

First impression - not what I expected. Light intentions on the fruit, smooth and just a good beer.

Appearance - Light frothy head that dissipates quickly. Dark/cola appearance like a stout or porter. Nothing overly impressive but definitely surprised me as I was not expecting it to be so dark... But I also did not read until after that it was similar to a porter.

Smell - I have no sense of smell but was told that it smells like a beer. Did not hear a comment on the blueberries.

Taste - The more I drink the less I notice the blueberries. The first impression was, "fruity?" Yeah it is there but the fruit flavors are definitely balanced along with the hops and malts. Malty with a hint of coffee and cocoa. With the balance between smooth maltiness and coffee/chocolate I can understand the comparisons to a porter or scotch ale. Reflecting on the first sentence I am now paying more attention to the blueberries and they seem to be rearing their round heads even more in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - smooth

Overall - A good beer. Not something I want to buy again but worth trying as the the balance between fruit, malt, and hops was solid. It goes down easy as the high alcohol is well masked. Could be a good transition for someone into fruit/veg beers as it is very drinkable.

*disclaimer - my taste critique is impaired since I have no sense of smell and I imagine the sense of blueberries beforehand plays a large role in the flavor and feel

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Disclaimer before I start I REALLY love Blueberries so I might not be as objective as I might be otherwise.

Viscous dark brown colored beer with a tall brown colored head.

Blueberries hit you the moment you pop the cap. Smells strongly of patent malt and blueberries. Smells a little floral and soapy with some smoke and coffee in the mix. Pretty much this is a Blueberry Porter by scent.

Starts out sweet and smoky with just a little blueberry. Bittersweet flavor but not intensely so. Blueberry is just a nuance to a quite well made Porter. No real nuances here just a good bittersweet ale.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this is a good Porter with blueberries in it. If you buy it for the blueberry aspect you will be disappointed. Buy this as a quite good Porter.

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, hazy, dark reddish-brown in color, high carbonation

Smell: blueberry, chocolate, earth, and roasted malt

Taste: deep roasted malt and coffee to start, with a very earthy middle, and the sweet but natural blueberries that shine through on the end.

Mouthfeel: heavy body, bitter in a malty roasty way with sweetness at the end, high carbonation

Drinkability: I am generally not a fan of Shipyard, but I have to give them credit with this one. I think this innovative brew is their best. I would get this one again. The bulk of the beer is a good Scotch ale. The blueberries really come through at the end and seem natural and not cloying. Somehow this works. Kind of like DarkHorse’s Tres with more of a Scotch base beer than a stout. I prefer DH’s better but this is certainly one I will come back to.

Very interesting concept. Pours a dark black with a small cream colored head that disappears quickly. Scent is initially strong blueberries with hints of boozy alcohol. Then I get some typical scotch ale malt aromas with hints of chocolate and coffee. Taste first reminds me of a strong scotch all...then the coffee and chocolate kick in. The blueberry is not as present in the taste as it is in the aroma, but it is there (especially as it warms up..then it becomes very noticeable). There are some hop flavors at the end, followed by more blueberry, caramel malt, and some fruity hop flavors. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, but not as syrupy as I was expecting. Kinda a bitter finish. Drinkability is fairly high. Overall, this beer is very unique and unlike anything I have ever had before. I was hoping for it to be a little more well-balance, but it is a tasty beer.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Pours a deep chocolate blue color, a one pinky expresso colored head and no carbonation. The head dies down rather quickly and leaves a creamy thick lacing ring around the top.

S - Chocolate malt powder and blueberries are the main attraction in the nose, there's also a little hint of roasted malt.

T - Wonderful taste taste that isn't complex or flashy, just a straightforward blend of coffee, chocolate, and blueberries. A tart twang of blueberry meets the tongue up front which is then followed by a wave of roasted coffee and chocolate.

M - Heavy medium body that leaves a coating of chocolate blueberries and a mild citric bitterness.

O - This is a very unique beer and ever since I heard about Shipyard releasing this beer, I've been waiting and watching for it. The beer isn't sweet at all and the blueberries are there for character and a nice complementing nuance at that.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

Admittedly, I am not a Shipyard fan. I dislike the buttery diacetyl taste present in most of their beers.

I was at a bar recently an noticed this beer on draft. Curiosity got the best of me.

Half the value of this beer is in its appearance and smell. Black, and smell of buttery, caramelly blueberry. Kinda like blueberry pancakes.

The sweetness is subdued in the taste. This is more like a scotch ale with a blueberry essence. Very boozy, but not overwhelmingly so.

A really interesting beer. Glad I tried it.

3.81/5  rDev -1%

#300 Hope its at least above average

A-After reading the back and seeing this beer being described as a 'mix between a Porter and a Scotch Ale' I was interested. This beer pours very dark and a bit thick. A cream head with an almost blue undertone sits atop the brew. I like how this looks.

S-This one has a gigantic whiff of blueberries right off the bat. Smells like blueberry yogurt! Underneath the plethora of blueberries, there is a bit of dark maltiness. However, this one is almost all blueberries.

T-This is a very unique taste. A blueberry blitz strikes first. The headliner is backed by a dose of chocolate. Also there is a clear hop presence. A 'one of a kind flavor'. The taste definitely has grown on my since the first sip. Taste in a nutshell: Blueberry yogurt with chocolate chips sprinkled in.

M-Creamy and quite thick. Slick feel. The carbonation is slight. But the feel is good.

O/D-At first sip, I was not very happy. But this one grew on me quickly. I am happy I finally bought a bomber of this. Blueberries are not my favorite fruit but I do enjoy them. I love how this is a big, dark brew. I can only compare this to Dark Horse's Tres Blueberry stout. I do believe I like that beer better. This is pretty damn fun however. Well worth a try.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

nice blackish blue body (maybe the blues just in my mind but it looks kinda like theres a blue tint to that blackness. soft beige head floats on top with good retention but minimal lacing. the nose is deep with caramel, cream, molasses, blueberries (not as strong as i imagined it would be but thats nice given everything else thats going on). the back of the bottle states this is a hybrid porter/scotch ale and my god have they nailed it perfectly. sweet malts, molasses, peat, blueberries. a full bodied brew this finishes nicely with a great dry hop bitterness. overall this is one brilliantly conceived beer. this was an ambitious project and could of been derailed by any number of factors but they just nailed everything.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

22oz bottle into a Shipyard glass. Almost black in color with a frothy tan head filling the top inch of the glass. Pretty good head retention to it as I drank it.

The aroma shows a good dose of the blueberry flavors mixing with a bitter-sweet chocolate, moderately roasty, porter like flavor. Pretty decent aroma overall for a blueberry flavored beer.

The taste has more of the blueberry coming through up front. Midway more of the bitter-sweet chocolate, roasty, slightly burnt flavors start to take over. The blueberry is pretty nice in that it doesn't overpower the beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a pretty decent beer of the style. I liked how the blueberry was more of a complimenting flavor and I was happy it didn't overpower the beer.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry
Pugsley's Signature Series
22 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip glass

* 4th of July Weekend 2011 *

Pours a deep chestnut brown with a khaki colored head. The bottom of the glass appears more of a ruby color. A nice looking head forms on top with significant lacings.

Pleasant aroma with whiffs of malt and freshly baked sugar cookies with a blueberry fragrance.

A chewy malt backbone is evident from the start with chocolate notes. There is a buttery, Werther's Original flavor as well. Must be the Shipyard yeast. This flavor is controlled and adds to the beer. The sip finishes with a blueberry puree that has a sweet & tart quality. There is a nice hop snap on the finish too.

This is really interesting, I don't think I've ever had a Porter/Scotch Ale with a prominent fruit presence. I had this beer yesterday on tap at Fat Cat (Quincy, MA) for the first time and really enjoyed it.

An extremely smooth and drinkable beer. This 9% ABV is ridiculously well hidden. An interesting offering from Shipyard and way better than I was expecting.

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Hybrid between a Porter and a Scotch Ale" with blueberries? This should be interesting. 22oz bomber purchased at Hannaford in Derry and split with BA CheckMate.

Pours a hazy dark brown body with about an inch of khaki-colored head that dissipates rather quickly. Fresh blueberries and (surprise!) butter comprise the aroma. Woah, that's complex! The blueberry hits the palate first followed in quick succession by butterscotch, chocolate, peat-smoke, coffee, with the smoke and coffee dominating the finish and aftertaste. Medium-to-full in both body and carbonation. A bit of a sipper, but the carbonation helps make the beer somewhat more quaff-able.

Not quite sure what to make of this one. Not the cloying fruit bomb I was expecting, which is a good thing. Super complex to be sure, but the flavors harmonize well with each other for the most part. The butter/butterscotch flavor could stand to be dialed back a bit. If I did not know this beer was supposed to taste/smell like blueberries (note on the label "malt beverage with NATURAL FLAVOR" - emphasis mine), I'm not sure I would have picked that out necessarily since there's so much else going on here. One of the better beers of the series. I might get this one again.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

A-pours dark brown with a think head that dissipates to a half finger and stays there.

S=Bready, and bluebery flavors.

T-It taste like a cross between a brown ale and a porter with blueberries. Slight medicinal taste and bitterness in the finish that doesn't detract. The blueberries initially have a strong upfront presence but diminish to the background as I drink it. Alcohol is just barely noticeable, if at all.

M-Medium body

O-I like this beer. I don't know if I would buy it again, but IMO, it's one of the better blueberry beers available.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

22oz bottle served in a SA 'perfect pint' glass.

pours a dark brown/mahogany tone with orange highlights; yields just shy of a 1" head. good retention and lacing, slowly fades to a thin cap, collar around the glass.

the label reads that the beer is a cross between a porter and a scotch ale, but the nose is dominated by blueberries. not unpleasant at all, just more one-dimensional than i was expecting. maybe a little roasted malt in the background.

taste opens up to the flavors i was anticipating. very unique flavor profile: interesting and flavorful balance between the roastiness and chocolate of the stout, the scotch character, and the blueberry. some bitter hoppiness and a boozy presence evident in the finish... medium-full bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, i'm halfway through the bomber and still can't determine whether i'm enjoying the thing. well made and definitely outside the box, but i'm having trouble deciding whether if the flavor profile necessarily works for me. in the final analysis i would say that it does, with the caveat that it's limited to small doses.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle with gold foil opened and served in my Portsmouth Brewery tulip glass. Served at room temperature. Let me state before my review that I was more than a little skeptical on this beer before I bought it. Shipyard can be very hit or miss for me.

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black in color. A nice two finger beige head forms on the first pour.

Aroma: The nose is almost completely blueberries. I'm not convinced on the blueberry quality here, but the aroma is definitely pleasant. Some earthy, herbal tones way hidden in the background.

Taste: I definitely get some nice light coffee and chocolate. Caramel is there as well. The blueberries are nowhere near as strong as the aroma, but actually blend pretty nicely giving some notes of booze and fruit. Some herbal, bittering hops toward the end. Pretty nice balance.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied. Carbonated nicely and stays smooth throughout.

Overall, I was definitely pleasantly surprised by this. The blueberries were not overpowering and the base beer was also really pleasant. It's definitely unique and not what I would expect for a summer release. Very nice overall though. A good buy for the price.

3.76/5  rDev -2.3%

22oz into pint glass.

A- Pours like a brown ale, rather large tan sticky head, 4-fingers on a bad pour but settles nicely, with faint lacing. Head eventually settles to an outer ring of bubbles.

S- Blueberry comes across as blueberry syrup. Dominates the nose.

T-Pretty strong bitterness that is contrasted by the blueberry sweetness. Heavy coffee, kind of earthy, some caramel as well. Really topsy-turvy. Blueberry is in the background, pokes through on occasion but is not as strong as it was in the nose.

M- Bitterness is more than expected. Heavy, but then again it's 9%... drinks well although flavors border on intense.

O- Weird as all hell, but I can dig it. Better than expected. Will re-buy. High points for originality- one of the most interesting beers of 2011 that I've had.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampled on June 16, 2011. It pours brown with red and purple hues glistening against the light. It all leads to a quarter inch tan head that sits like silk on top for the whole time. There are bushels of blueberries penetrating the nose with a vague malty and hoppy backdrop. But blueberries nonetheless. The body comes fairly full and satisfying. If you like blueberries you will get a lot of that caharcter in the taste with a kind of light and sour but dry hopped ending. This is not asw sweet as typical blueberries that I have had.

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Pours a nice deep brown/mahogany color with ruby edges. Tan head stays for a bit

S: Blueberries, chocolate, coffee, typical shipyard yeast, and some caramel malts tucked in there as well

T: Now I see why this is a porter/scotch ale hybrid. Some nice smokiness mixed with chocolate, blueberries and malts. The smokiness tends to come on early and stay into the aftertaste

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Very smooth and refreshing

O: A nicely complex beer that blends 3 styles well together. Each can be picked out, but together they make a very interesting and delicious beer

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Rich two-finger head which lasts a long time and leaves a blanket of lace. Deep brown color where a minimal level of light passes through.

Sour blueberry, almost like a yoghurt. Pleasant and distinct.

Excellent balance between the porter flavors of mocha and light hop, and the blueberry, which is muted unlike most. Solid body with a matching level of carbonation.

Outside of lambics, this may be the best "fruit" beer.

Shipyard Smashed Blueberry (Pugsley's Signature Series) from Shipyard Brewing Co.