Shipyard Fuggles IPA | Shipyard Brewing Co.

Read the review
Shipyard Fuggles IPAShipyard Fuggles IPA

Shipyard Brewing Co.
Maine, United States
shipyard.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by xlperro on 07-01-2001

There is nothing good about this beer. It's unfortunate, I'm a big fan of Shipyard Export, I've visited their brewery in Portland, Maine, so I figured I'd try their IPA. Don't make that mistake.

From the first taste there is nothing good about it. It's old and stagnant. Painful even. I bought a whole sixer and struggled to drink each and every one. Drinking it was like climbing a summit, each sip worst than the last, until finally you get to the very top and there is no vista, just some big factory, belching out polluting smoke. Yes it still gets you drunk...so it does have that going for it.

Needless to say, I do not recommend this beer. I won't list the categories because every one I rated the same; awful.

1.2/5  rDev -63.5%

1.48/5  rDev -55%

1.54/5  rDev -53.2%

Not a very good example of the style. A very aggressive pour yields a head that should come from a typical pour. Fair head retention. Very sticky lacing. THAT looks nice...but that's really all it has going for as far as being visually appealing. Smells sweet like cake batter. Yes, I said cake batter. Absolutely nothing like an IPA. There may be a tiny trace amount of hops hiding in the very back of the smell. This is the most peculiar IPA I have ever had. There is some hop bitterness in the taste, but it's woven around a handful of other things that I cannot readily identify. Almost has a medicine like taste to it in the middle. So far, this is a terrible example of the style, IMO. The mouthfeel seems a bit heavy for the style, and the carbonation level is totally not where it should be. Perhaps there's someone out there who really enjoies this, but I absolutely do not care for this which I consider a pitiful excuse for the style.

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%

Best before October, 2012. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours and golden orange, slight haze, really nice fluffy white head and nice lacing and retention. Looks great, but unfortunately that's about it. I'll say it right now, this beer isn't good. I didn't have high expectations at all and I wasn't expecting much, but damn. I like fuggle hops too. The aromas are full of malts and has an astringent breadiness. Smells like a white cake. No hops present in the nose at all. Barely any hops in the flavors either. There's alot of diacetyl going on, which I usually really enjoy, but not in this case. There's a sweetness going on, but far from cloying. There's a decent spiciness, but the flavors seem pretty watered down. There's an earthiness which gives it some life, barely. This beer just isn't working for me. The mouthfeel isn't bad. It's on the lighter side with a nice amount of carbonation. Alcohol clearly goes unnoticed. Goes down easy, but not really enjoyable.

This makes poor IPAs I've had in the past taste like Hopslam. Reguardless of it being English or not.. it just doesn't do it. This is possibly the worst beer I've ever had. Definitely the worst score I've given on BA. I don't feel like this should be the worst beer I've ever had, but it's making a run for the title. It's far from offensive, but it's a HUGE slap in the face to the IPA style. Pass on this if you're ever considering giving it a shot. This is exactly why I buy singles.

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.76/5  rDev -46.5%

1.86/5  rDev -43.5%

Appearance
Clear, light orange/yellow; little to no carbonation bubbles; 1/2" head

Aroma
Not impressive...smells like malt liquor strangely and unfortunately enough

Taste & Mouthfeel
Somewhat fruity and very low on hops; overall very flat and one-dimensional; disappointing

Overall
I normally don't pitch beers, but I did with this one. There's not much flavor here, but what is present is very unpleasant. I know they were going for an English style IPA, but this is just so lifeless and borderline offensive. I think they fell short of their goal.

2.01/5  rDev -38.9%

A- Pours clear orange color with a thin white head. Head had very little retentioin and left pretty much no lacing.

S- Smell is a bit of malty sweetness, a very odd flowery smell and a terrible perfume smell.

T- Wow I'm sorry but this was terrible. Followed the nose and was just dreadful. A terrible buttery flavour.

M- Medium in body and carbonation seemed to be okay.

D- I struggled very badly with this one. I don't think I'll ever try this one again.

2.03/5  rDev -38.3%

12oz bottle poured into 16oz glass.

A. Has a Hazy Orangish Amber look with a very weak head. There is a nice lacing around the glass as I drink it.

S. Very Lack luster for an IPA. Where is the hops aroma?? I smell more malt with the aroma of old cheap wine.

T. Below average. It is missing that Hops taste. It's like raw bread dough. I can taste the yeast in this.

M. It is a little watery.

D. I don't know if this is past its date but I do not want to finish what I have. Very disappointed

Shipyard Fuggles IPA from Shipyard Brewing Co.