Shipyard Applehead | Shipyard Brewing Co.

Shipyard AppleheadShipyard Applehead
3.12/5
Shipyard AppleheadShipyard Applehead

Shipyard Brewing Co.
Maine, United States
shipyard.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Shipyard Applehead is a crisp, refreshing wheat ale with a delightful apple aroma and subtle cinnamon flavor.

Added by stonermouse on 12-10-2011

1.88/5  rDev -39.7%

12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass. Clearly I'm a glutton for punishment.

A - Pours a clear, light gold with a creamy white head that settles to a decent haze.
S - Apples, cinnamon, and a touch of malt. This smells like applesauce, or perhaps a McDonalds Apple Pie. Not offensive, but definitely artificial smelling.
T - Pretty much what you'd expect from a Shipyard apple beer ; buttery diacetyl, watery grain bill, artificial apple flavoring, and dusty cinnamon & nutmeg. Not as retch-inducing as Pumpkinhead, but still pretty foul.
M - Light and watery, with a thin body and moderate carbonation.
O - Why do I keep doing this to myself? I've not yet had an enjoyable Shipyard brew, I dunno why I though a slapped-together *apple beer* would be any different. Avoid, unless you actually like Pumpkinhead for some reason.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

1.49/5  rDev -52.2%

I knew this would happen. I knew someone would leave on of these at my house or I would be stupid enough to buy it. My room mate grabbed me a bottle so thanks goes to Greg. Anyhow, I poured this into a pint glass; one I don't particularly care fore. Pours golden straw with a think cap of spritzy white head. Looks like beer.

Sigh, this has a sweet apple cider aroma with cinnamon and that signature disappointment aroma found in all Shipyard beers. This taste like apple crisp. But old apple crisp. Really old and poorly made. This also slightly resembles a beer with yeast and barley hops and such but those are really just afterthought.

This has a terrible feel. Mostly because of the taste.

This stuff is unholy. I don't think I'll finish this. It's just bad. Save your money gang.

2.87/5  rDev -8%

A - This beer pours an extremely clear light copper color. This has a 2-finger white sudsy head resting on top. The head doesn't have the best retention, and it leaves no lace behind on the glass.

S - The nose has big apple and spice presence. There are some light malt aromas, and a little bit of hop presence. There isn't much else going on here.

T - The taste pretty much follows the nose. This starts off with a big apple and cinnamon flavor. There is some light malt flavor and a little bit of hop presence near the back end. The flavors all seem to be a little bit muted. The finish leaves some lingering apple and spice behind on the palate.

M - This has a pretty light body and average carbonation. It goes down easy, and it has a pretty smooth feel to it. There is some initial sweetness, and a little bit of hop bitterness. A little bit of tingling from the spices is also present.

O - This has decent drinkability. It goes down easy, and I could easily have a few in a night. I really just expected more out of the flavor, and I really think it would have benefited if the body was more full. The end result of this beer is a mildly interesting, but overall mediocre beer. It is better than Pumpkin Head though.

3.83/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours a crystal clear rich golden color. No particulates. One finger eggshell white head.

Nose gives off metallic lager-y notes that are muted by vanilla, ginger, and cinnamon.

Taste is light, sweet, slightly buttery, and spicy with vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom. Light hints of sour green apple. Also get notes of rice and cream. This is an incredibly different beer - slightly comparable to a pumpkin or spiced beer, but ultimately like nothing I've ever had before. Don't get any wheat here.

Moderate to low carbonation with a lightly sweet finish that leaves a bitter spice aftertaste. Moderate to thin mouthfeel.

Overall a very unique beer. Nothing I would drink on a regular basis but a nice compilation of complex flavors that form a rather drinkable brew.

1.58/5  rDev -49.4%

Finally got around to buying one of Shipyard's new fabulous creation. Still can't believe someone thought this was a good idea. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Translucent with a few cascading bubbles. Light burnt orange in color. For a brief moment, there was a thin layer of head. Shockingly, this looks exactly like Pumpkinhead

S: Pumpkinhead and apple jacks... Clearly we have a winner here

T: Ha, they actually managed to make this worse than Pumpkinhead. Just. So. Bland. Watered down, nutmegy flavor is really the only thing I'm picking up. On the plus side, don't really get much diacteyl

M: Thin, watery. Slightly drying aftertaste

D: A wheat beer this is not. My only question is why. Why was this brewed? Why are people buying this? Shipyard is synonymous with fail

3.24/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from bottle into tulip.
Golden color with no real head or lacing.
Smell is very nice. Cinnamon dominates, with apple aromas. Kind of like apple cider.
Taste is crisp at first, followed by cinnamon...leaving an apple flavor that lingers; again like an apple cider.
Overall, its not horrible, but its just average. Nice and unique for sure, but I wouldnt buy a whole 6-pack; at least not until the fall - if still available. I also think its strange that it was released in December through spring?? This is deff a fall brew!!

3.55/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance is a light golden to pale orange

Smell is very much of fall spices. Cinnamon and clove come through the most with slight apple.

Taste is also strong with the cinnamon and clove. Apple is present but not profound or on the front.

Mouthfeel was a little depressing as it wasn't very crisp or exciting. Lacked the carbonation feel.

A very tasty beer that reminds me of fall. Apple taste isn't really that strong. Cinnamon, clove, and rich malt really make this worth a try. Delicious but not a top runner.

3.12/5  rDev 0%

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin yet dense white head that quickly died down and left a thick ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass and some lacing on the surface.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of cinnamon in the nose along with hints of apples.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of cinnamon and some sweet apples. It’s similar to a pumpkin beer but with apples instead of pumpkins.
M: It feels rather light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer goes down very easily because it is light-bodied and isn’t too sweet. Maybe it’s a good introductory beer for someone to try instead of hard cider.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.42/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer was something I had seen on here and made sure to keep my eyes open for it at my local shops. I finally managed to find a bottle of it at Abe's in Bethlehem and was rather excited to try it. The beer poured out as a clear yellow color with a fizzy white head. There was some very light lacing and minimal retention. The look of the beer didn't seem like a wheat ale to me at all, it was much to clear looking. The smell of the beer had some apple and cinnamon aromas that got me past the average look of the beer. The taste of the beer was decent, the apple and spice flavors were pretty dominant. I wasn't a big fan of how the malted wheat came through in the aftertaste too much. The mouthfeel of the beer was very light, moderate carbonation, a little on the watery side. Overall I like Apple flavored ale and such. I enjoyed this one but it wasn't the best one out there honestly.

2.73/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz bottle into a stemless wine glass.

A: orangey copper in color with a finger of white head that recedes quickly. Minimal lacing.

S: Mostly cinnamon and artificial apple (like a glade spray). This is very reminiscent of Pumpkinhead.

T: again fall spice type flavor that includes cinnamon, clove, apple, pumpkin spice. Not a particularly bad taste but I'm not eager to drink again. Aftertaste is bitter and then semi sweet like an apple cider.

M: probably the worst aspect, not special at all. Has carbonation but just feels kind of meh. I think the cinnamon spices through it off a bit.

O: not a terrible beer but I'm not a fan. I do think they've accomplished what they've set out to do. I personally couldn't/wouldn't drink very many of these but I suppose it's easy drinking enough that people could. Don't recommend particularly.

3.55/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This didn't seem like something that would really be my style, but I was intrigued and bought it anyways... weird!

A: The appearance reminds me of apple juice, and I suppose part of that is a mental thing. It's a slightly deeper amber hue, but very crisp and clear and topped with the thinnest white lace

S + T: A smell not unlike an apple pie coming out of the oven. I could have maybe done with just a little less cinnamon spice, but that's a personal preference more than anything. Flavor highlights a little more apple and soft malts. It's got some qualities not unlike an apple cider, but is still clearly a beer.

M + D: I suppose it would make sense that it would be a refreshing beer, and that's certainly the case. Some of the food pairings suggested make it seem like a good beer for the season, but I really think this would be far more appropriate in warmer weather... maybe the end of summer, rolling into fall, while apples are coming into season. Nonetheless, a pretty decent beer, and worth at least a try!

Shipyard Applehead from Shipyard Brewing Co.