Dunham / Kissmeyer Leo's Early Breakfast IPA | Brasserie Dunham

Dunham / Kissmeyer Leo's Early Breakfast IPADunham / Kissmeyer Leo's Early Breakfast IPA

Brasserie Dunham

2.25/5  rDev -43.2%

2.25/5  rDev -43.2%

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

3.17/5  rDev -19.9%

Looks nice after the pour golden all be it a bit hazy with a nice white collar. A blast of pungent hops and citrus in the nose followed by a mild tropical fruit flavour with hints of tea.

My biggest surprise is this is a middle of the road IPA that does nothing to set itself apart from so many others.

3.18/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hazy, thin Belgian inspired pale. There's a tardiness, that I don't love with the abject maltiness that doesn't work with the style. The adjuncts are are really good combination though.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

3.33/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.39/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Mule Bar. Served in a tulipy glass.

Appearance - Deep red/amber body. Nice white head. Good lacing.

Smell - The earl gray dominates this beer. Some hops and a bit of caramel, but it's mostly tea.

Taste - The tea lends a much more flowery flavor. Dominating again. Hoppier. Grassy and piney, possibly the citrus is muted by the tea. Caramel malts. Bitterness takes over in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, pushing medium heavy. Bitter.

Overall - Way too much tea for my tastes, but I still enjoyed it. Just the wrong end of the flavor spectrum of IPAs for my taste.

3.41/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Funny that nobody else mentioned this is a clandestine Farmhouse Ale more than an IPA in
every sense. Interesting brew, but to classify it as an IPA stretches the boundaries too far for the style..

3.45/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

3.56/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Although a very generous gift, not a beer balanced to my personal tastes. More of a medicinal tone to the aroma and flavour than I expected, and I find the Earl Grey hard to discern without it's characteristic bergamot? Definitely tea-forward, I just wouldn't have picked out anything other than "black tea" without the other descriptions.

Pours a hazy medium orange with a respectable white head and good retention. Aroma of oranges and tea, although many of the initial medicinal elements are fading as it warms. Good hop citrus notes in the body of the taste, but with a smoky tea and ointment finish that lingers longer than I'd choose. Enjoy the body, but not a beer for which I'd choose a pint.

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.61/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The two fingers of off-white head that crowns the beer is sticky and thick, leaving plenty of dense patches of lace along the sides of the glass. The body itself is a rich caramel amber tone that has clearly not been through any level of filtration. This looks like a big IPA.

The early grey tea component rests gently at its core with a bit of earthiness mixed in. Guava and lively pine needles lay over top with hand fulls of fresh field berries. There's a really nice floral component to it as well. There's almost a warming quality to the tea character and I love how it develops as time goes on. Although it doesn't pack a big punch in the aroma, there's plenty of complexity to wrap your mind around.

The hop character is less refined in the taste and I think part of it has to do with it foregoing the filtration process. It's grassy and floral with a dense leafiness to it. The herbal tea quality rests on the middle of the tongue but its presence is dimmed by the more biting hop character. The field berries dance around throughout and give off a pleasant sweetness. A dash of biscuit and lingering green bitterness finish things off.

The body falls between light to medium. There's a little bit of creaminess with a classic hop dryness in the finish. I think it could have used a bit more weight to it.

Overall, this is an all around good IPA with a unique twist. I loved the addition of earl grey tea which I found most evident in the aroma. It plays nicely with its fruity qualities. I found the taste and the feel however to be a bit unrefined, impacting its tea quality most. Nonetheless, a solid collaboration and one that leaves me excited for their next IPA of theirs that I have in the fridge.

3.66/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Overall this beer is incredible, its a pretty cool collab between Denmark x Québec ( Kissmeyer x Dunham ).

Great hit of exotic fruits & bitterness. Smell awesome. One of the best I.P.A. made in Québec!

Since march 2013, this beer is a regular product from the brewery.

3.75 / 5

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Teku, This beer poured a really light almost golden brown color and looks as cloudy as OJ. The head was 2.5 fingers of foamy just slightly off white and retention is reasonable. The reason I'm only giving it a 3 is because the color is slightly off putting and I can see a couple chunks. all the same it looks half decent,

Aroma - I am giving it a 4 for aroma because Wile I am really enjoying this nose it isn't one of a typical IPA on either end of the spectrum. It is definitely fruity but not the fruit I'd expect up front. There is mango and pinapple but nothing acidic its really sweet. There is also a bubble gummy funkyness similar to that of a farmhouse ale but not as pungent. I don't believe there was any Brett used in this beer and it's probably just a mixture of the fruits coming together oddly. There is almost a wheat grain smell on the back end.

Taste - The 54 IBU packs more of a punch than I thought up front and don't get me wrong this isn't a bitter beer just more of one than I was expecting. The bitterness pops out leafy and earthy in flavor and is followed closely by sweet mango and pineapple. It again has that weird funk to it as well as a small hint of salted caramel. The loudest flavor in this beer though is a hay/wheat on the back end that I'm guessing is coming from the malt, Overall it tastes decent. but I wouldn't call it an IPA.

Feel - Light bodied with moderate Tingling carbonation on the tongue but goes down fairly smooth. It really is not a bitter beer but if your used to lagers it may seem bitter to you. I would have preferred a little more body.

Overall - I think this beer is worth a try and it isn't really bad but its not great. I also would not have marketed it as an IPA as I don't feel it really is one but what can you do. If you like farmhouse ales and IPA's you will probably enjoy this one. Cheers!

3.69/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dunham / Kissmeyer Leo's Early Breakfast IPA from Brasserie Dunham