Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Downtown Nutbrown AleDowntown Nutbrown Ale

Crabtree Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Brown Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by gbontrag on 06-14-2006

Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 7
Reviews by gbontrag:
4.12/5  rDev +52%

Soapy suds flutter and puff, and then poof.
Pretty brown that has a walnut sheen, is thin and clear.
Smells great, like crusty whole wheat bread with a little clover honey.
Tastes great too! It feels a little thin, no escaping that. However, it's super drinkable. Soft. It's kinda husky with toasted nuts and carmelized grains. Some noticeable and deliciously fruity hops. I quite enjoyed this. A brand new offering in northern Colorado! Welcome aboard, looking forward to getting to know this company better.

2.47/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle. Pours borwn with ruby highlights. It has a decent off-white head that quickly disappears completely.

The aroma is sweet nutty malts and some toffee and cola.

The flavor is sweet nutty malts and cola. The mouthfeel is medium and kind of watery with a little sharp carbonation.

Overall, a rather bland nut brown.

1.43/5  rDev -47.2%

Maybe I got a bad or old bottle, but I don't see the same things in this brew that the previous reviewers did. In fact, I'd be happy never to see this brew again...

It's light brown with a fizzy, quick-to-vanish head. The bouquet has vegetal, celery-like smells that remind me of a cow pasture, and the flavor is thin--there's no caramelly, malt presence nor sweet (nor hoppy) flavor to speak of. I drank this quickly and did my best to forget it.

It's too bad that the new brewery on the CO block seems to have such a disappointing beer on its hands. I'll give their wheat a try for novelty's sake and cross my fingers, hoping that they tinker with the recipe, consult BJCP style guidelines and come up with a better brown ale in the future.

Not recommended.

Had some window management issues and lost a full review for this beer, so this one will be shortened. Presentation is 12 oz bottle, boring label design, and no freshness info (shame on them!). Appearance is a dark reddish brown, almost no head to speak of, no retention or lacing. Smell is not great - over ripe fruit, rotting veggies. Tastes slightly better than it looks, but not much. A faint hint of malt sweetness .. and not much else. This was quite a let down after their tasty wheat offering. Maybe this was a bad batch, but it was certainly not a good beer.

2.16/5  rDev -20.3%

Purchased from Wilbur's Liquors in Ft Collins.

This one pours from 22oz bottle a clear dark amber with a very small head of foam that dissipated completely before I finished typing this sentence and there's no lacing.

The smell is very delicate..I can't get much out of it...maybe some sweet malt? Really faint.

The taste is at least more assertive than the nose. I can taste some roasted malt with *some* nutiness but it's pretty lightly flavoured. I'm also getting some chocolate notes and some spice..swishing the beer in my mouth, I'd say there was some cinnamon flavour there but, again, it's on the light side. The finish is kind of a hodgepodge...slightly bitter but not bitter in a *good* way. Man, this isn't very good at all. Could be a drain pour for me. Dang.

Further sips in and there really are no redeeming features in this brew. I *am* going to pour this down the drain.:^(

3.43/5  rDev +26.6%

No bottle date, but this is a relatively new brewery. Happy to try one of their offerings. Hard pour earns a thin layer of light brown head. Crystal clear copper-brown liquid. Smells very mild with chocolate and woody dry.

Tastes extract sweet with some metal. Nutty is strong and sweet and chocolate undertones. Drying hops and the carb also helps clean the palette. Aftertaste has a dark ester (figs?). A bit sweeter than I care for in the start and the aftertaste begins to wear by the end of the bomber. Nice local offering... not sure this is classified properly...more of an English Brown, IMO.

Md thick body, which is heavy for the style and mild carbonation.

3.38/5  rDev +24.7%

Initially, I had this out of a bomber and wasn't extremely moved by it. But, brown ales aren't a standout in my book. I picked up the bottle locally for 2.99, which was a great deal. Old Chicago has it on tap, but I have not tried it there yet. I did make it to their brewery in 'downtown' Greeley, and had it in their tasting area.
Out of the tap, it was quite cold. I think more flavor could have come out had I waited a while for it to warm up, but I did what I could warming it up a bit with a hand. Next to nothing in the way of head, but very smooth indeed. This is a great example of a brown ale, super drinkable. I think they told me it was approx 5.2% by volume?

Downtown Nutbrown Ale from Crabtree Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.