Old No. 1 Barleywine | Scuttlebutt Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-31-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 26 | Ratings: 37
3.53/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance – Extremely thick and cloudy dark brown body with a decent head.

Smell – This ale just wreaks of old, burnt oak casks used to age sherry. I mean, if you found some dried oak that had been used to age sherry then set it on fire and whiffed the smoke, this is exactly how it would smell.

There’s also some malt in there (not a hop to speak of) but it’s mostly the sweet sherry and burnt oak aroma that dominates. The big alcohol of this 9.9 ABV (I had the 2001 vintage which is stronger than the 1999 that was used to add the beer to the site) makes itself known as well.

Taste – I thought this one fell apart a little bit at the taste. An unappealing sourness came out that felt spent and broken down. The malt and sherry flavors were quite pleasant, though.

Mouthfeel – The tartness of this one took away from the overall experience, but either way this was a nice, “sipper.”

Drinkability – This was a good barley wine at one point, but I thought it was a little past its prime.

Update – Since my review is now two years old I thought I’d re-taste it using an ’05 vintage. It’s better than I remember, although nothing stellar. The tartness from my original notes seems to be gone and the body is much “meatier”, suggesting that I may have had an overaged bottle. I’m giving the ratings here a small bump and picking one up from time to time.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last