Strikes Bock

From:
Empire Brewing Company - Brewpub

New York, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes: This is a traditional German style Mai-Bock. These beers are brewed toward the end of winter for spring release. This is a true lager, made with German lager yeast and fermented for six weeks. The flavors are malt forward with a medium body, finishing with a dry peppery flavor that is derived from the hops.
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 14 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
mikeg67 from New Jersey

1.42/5  rDev -55.2%

I started writing a review but there is nothing to write about. The bottle is infected.
Maibock should not taste like Berliner weisse. I’ll try other bottles, but it is frustrating to spend $12 for a 6-pack and drain pour it.

Jun 16, 2017
HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

3.06/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I'm biased as I read all the reviews before having this and thought it would be revolting. It wasnt but it was an odd brew,cloudy orange with lots of what I assume was yeast floating in it. Fruit and malt aroma and taste but it finished with a slight hop bitterness. All I can say is I understand why people like it and I understand why some don't. I would have it again but wouldn't work hard to find it

Apr 14, 2017
utopiajane from New York

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

My first impression was the color is too light but it is a 6. Hazy yellow amber. Fast flaling head that fizzes and pops and leaves nothing behind.

Malty scent with a hint of toastiness and low melanoidins . Herbal hop on a sweet flower petal. It smells a touch tart and that's fruity. That's a fruity ester from yeast I think.

Drinks a touch tart or so it seems but dry . A brisk cool hop. Small bubbles but with plenty of bite. Finishes malty but fizzy with hops showing a clean herbal that suggests lemon. It's also tart and peppery. The bitterness is even and moderate. The bubble is too much it's too crisp. The malt doesn't roll out to show you that toastiness but it does show up in the aftertaste. The flavor is lost in the finish to the bubble and it's bite. That highlights the fruity ester from yeast which was low imo. It's green apple. Bitterness is balanced and the beer is enjoyable if not to style. It's the mouthfeel that did it. The appearance is also not to style because of the fast falling head which maybe is showing the acidity or the tartness I think I taste? IS the color too light? It's hazy and the head had no persistence. The hop is very peppery. It finishes too hoppy for ht style because of that carbonation as well

Apr 08, 2017
CNoj012 from New York

2.48/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a very hazy golden orange with a ton of floating particles. The head is one finger, fizzy and off white. Retention is basically non existent and there is no lacing to speak of.

Smell is tart green apple, orange and some bready and crackery malts.

Taste is the same. The fruit flavors are not good, but the tart green apple is borderline repulsive and definitely does not belong.

Feel is light side of medium, well carbonated and has a pucker factor on the finish reminiscent of an American Wild Ale.

Overall no, just no. Not to style at all, and the tart apple is a huge swing and miss for me. I've lived in Syracuse my entire life so they are local and I want to like their beers, but (besides their kolsch) Empire continues to underwhelm. This one is a new low for them though.

Mar 28, 2017
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.59/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Empire Brewing Co. "Strikes Bock"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "02/01/17 09:27:43" and sampled on 03/23/17
$1.83 @ (Wegmans) Cherry Hill Wine, Liquor & Beer, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Dreaming of my upcoming trip to Bavaria a bock is just what I need. Nice label. Maibock is perfect for the season as the small amount of snow left on the ground is still melting away. Hazy, almost cloudy amber-orange body beneath a creamy off-white head. The nose expresses malt and tart fruit...? Sharp apple, perhaps some apricot... odd. I wasn't expecting any fruit, and what fruitiness is there really over-rides the malt. Oh well, OK, on to the flavor... similar - very weird! This is not what a Maibock should taste like. Is it the excess yeast that's giving it a bit of an apple & apricot tart note? Maybe, but the fruitiness is still there. OK, I've got to take a step back on this one then - I'm no longer thinking of this as a Maibock, and simply looking at it hedonistically. Very nice fruitiness in that case, with a bit of a honeyish and light-medium caramel maltiness behind it. Some spicy hops and a moderate bitterness round it out. Nicely balanced, and except for the yeast, nicely polished - just a slight astringency. BUT... it's still labeled as a "German-style Maibock". Uggghhh. I hate to rate a beer poorly, but geez, by style this is way off. I'm assuming the ink jet coding was a production date and this is fresh. I could get into this if it wasn't labeled a Maibock, although it's still a little tart. Odd, just odd. Looking back the lacing is limited; and it's medium-light in body with a just below standard carbonation level - just to finish things up. Perhaps I'm being a little harsh, but the 1-5 scale doesn't give me a lot of wiggle room. No, I don't think that's true, my numbers are probably right on. Hopefully this is just a single batch issue, and now I'm inspired to seek out more Empire beers - and damn, I was just in Syracuse a few months ago. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to find a better batch and do an update.

Mar 23, 2017
WillieThreebiers from Connecticut

3.52/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at DeCiccos: Pours a copper orange with a cap of head that leaves a spat of lacing. Sweet malty aroma. Taste follows nose. Just not feelin' it.

May 04, 2016