The Audacity Of Hops | Cambridge Brewing Company

Style: Belgian IPA

Belgian Double IPA.

Added by EPICAC on 11-12-2008

4.74/5  rDev +17.3%

What a tasty and interesting concoction. Like nothing I've had to date. This beer flips the Belgian IPA mutant-style onto its ass and brings us an ultra-hoppy IPA with the Belgian characteristics taking the back seat. The fruity Belgian yeast is there in the finish but a big simcoe-heavy, West Coast hop aroma and flavors dominate, staying on the palate until your next sip. Lots of pine in the taste as well. The 8.5% keeps me from drinking this all night. A must try for hopheads.

4.71/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The description is awesome, but I didn't write it down. It's not on the website yet, hopefully soon.

I have to admit, I have mixed feelings about Belgian IPAs. I love the concept, and I've enjoyed most of the Belgian IPAs that I've tried. However, most of the examples that I've had seem to be more like a heavily hopped Belgian Strong Pale Ale/Tripel rather than a true fusion of the styles. The characteristic Belgian flavors still seem to dominate. The hops are evident, but aren't the focus, nothing about them really makes me think IPA.

The Audacity of Hops is what I've wanted in a Belgian IPA. Lots of hop flavor with the Belgian characteristics providing the balancing backbone of the beer. The hops seem like the focus rather than an afterthought. You may disagree, but this is what I think a Belgian IPA should be

The Audacity of Hops pours a deeply cloudy golden. Topped by a thick white head that thins to a film leaving sheets of lace.

The aroma says IPA more than Belgian. The citric and resiny hop aromas are most evident, with a bit of underlying Belgian yeast fruitiness.

The malts start sweet with bready and caramel notes. The center is fruity, with notes of banana. The finish has a yeasty and peppery kick. The hops are noticeable throughout, but really become strong in the finish with nice resiny and herbal hop flavors that linger in the aftertaste along with a pleasing bitterness. Medium-bodied, with a bit of oiliness from the hops, and a good amount of carbonation without being overdone.

Hoppy, but balanced well. Crisp and drinkable. Like I said, this is what a Belgian IPA should be.

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Audacious? Yes.

Hoppy? Hell Yeah.

Audacity of hops? Abso-fucking-lutely!

Nectar of the greek hop gods!

I won't write you a long ass book about this once in a lifetime hop centric ale. What I will do is tell you it is so laden with hop oils that you can feel the oily viscosity on your palate as it goes down. The malt base is clean and neat and just enough to support the shocking and almost illegal amount of hops in this boozy endeavor.

CBC; a now sincerely loyal fan has been won.

Everyone else. Try this beer. It will earn a well deserved spot on your love list.

Awesome job CBC!!!

4.64/5  rDev +14.9%

I know I'd have this on-tap in the past, but I couldn't remember it very well, and I definitely didn't remember it being as wonderful as it was when I poured from an attractive bomber yesterday. I went to the brewpub afterward and verified that it's just as good on-tap, but this review is from the bottle:

A: Blonde-copper in color with a big, fluffy white head; little lacing and surprisingly un-sticky.

S: Incredible! A big smack of extremely fresh hop smell--lots of grass, some pine and floral notes, and grapefruit in there as well. This is among the crispest, cleanest, best smelling beers I've had. I couldn't keep my nose out of the glass, even as I was enjoying drinking it.

T: Speaking of which, the taste lives up to and matches the nose. It's nearly all hops--starting piney and grassy, then moving into a bit more juicy grapefruit territory, but still light and clean, and surprisingly not too bitter. The malts are hardly noticeable, but evident in the balance, as is the Belgian yeast. Wonderfully crisp, clean taste, with no hint of alcohol or syrupy sweetness, and a cleaner balance, which I'm assuming is from the Belgian malts and yeast, than many other IIPA's provide.

M: Clean, crisp, slightly light for an IIPA, but still medium-bodied. Extremely drinkable and pleasant.

O: While I often dislike the candi sweetness of many Belgian styles (none of which is present here), I think I really prefer a Belgian IIPA to a traditional DIPA, as it seems to knock the syrupy sweetness, which I dislike, out of the equation. Maybe that's just the CBC's interpretation of the style, but I'd put this just in the IIPA/DIPA category, and in that case, it's among the best I've had. This is fantastic beer--audacious, indeed--providing that wonderful, fresh hop aroma and taste without the excessive bitterness or syrupy taste of so many others. My heart sunk when I realized it was after 11pm at the brewpub last night, and so I couldn't pick up another bomber to take home.

4.64/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - The Audacity of Hops pours into a chalice the color of ginger ale, with a thick 1.5 inch head.

S - Hops, fresh-hop aroma, grains, bready, grasses.

T - Some tangy/tart-ish hop flavors up front, finish with sweetish back...interesting combo; a nice balance of tart and sweet hops flavoring! YUM!

M - Medium-heavy, very effervescent, just chewy/sticky enough. Dry...nice.

O - Don't be turned away by the fact that this beer is technically brewed in a Belgian style. You will swear it's an all-American IPA or DIPA. Hop lovers will love it. Delicious brew!

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

A bit on the dark side for a pale ale, it pours a weathered burnt orange. Depsite the relative darkness, it's kind of a pale burnt orange, though it's still dark enough that it's opaque. The head is attractive while it's there, but lacks retention, so look quick. You'll see a contrasting white lid of small bubbles. Eventually you're left with just remnants up top and a bit of lace.

The smell is the cat's meow. Full of citrus flavors like orange, pineapple and grapefruit, with some pine for balance. I'll put the smell of this beer against any other.

Taste follows suit, though the citric items are toned down a bit and the pine is ramped up. A little bit of a cracker taste as it works it way across the tongue.

Acidic early on with a gentle sweetness, the teeth of the beer greets you mid-sip as the hops start to take over and the piney resin coats your tongue with a lingering bitterness. There's plenty of hoppy bite, but it's welcomed and manageable making it reasonably tame for a DIPA. There's plenty of carbonation to clear your tongue, along with the citrusy acid, but the hoppy oils won't let go.

Overall, this is right up there with the best IPAs or DIPAs I've had. It's got good flavor, is easy to sip, and has a nice kick to it...and the alcohol lets you know it's a beer.

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Cambridge Brewing Company - The Audacity of Hops - 1pt 6fl oz bottle

Look - Pours a slightly hazy golden amber or copper with a nice soapy head. Phenomenal lacing. Rambunctious carbonation.

Smell - Bready spices with hop on top. Interesting mix, DIPA & Belgian-style, both share the stage evenly.

Taste - Citrus hops come in first, then a wave of spicy, bready Belgian yeast. After this a blast of bitter grapefruit hops. Boom!

Mouthfeel - Great drinkability. very unique and enjoyable. The blend is so smooth and really works. In the aftertaste you get the hops but also the sour that you expect from a Belgian.

Overall - Would definitely recommend. Great fusion of styles. Stellar brew that bridges the gap between my two favorite styles.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5