The Audacity Of Hops | Cambridge Brewing Company

Style: Belgian IPA

Belgian Double IPA.

Added by EPICAC on 11-12-2008

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'll admit I let this bottle sit a little longer than I should have. It still retains it's Belgian characteristics and yeast profile. Being a one off I would have liked to have it on draft as well. Nice head retention/Belgian lacing. Cloudy body with a spiciness that lingers. Not that hoppy, hints of earthiness(?) (not that it needs to be for this style), but once again it may have been hoppier while fresh. Not much rye character but a little dry in the finish. If you still have a bottle than I suggest you drink it ASAP. IPA's do not age well. I look forward to the CBC this April in Chicago and what it has to offer!

3.41/5  rDev -15.6%

3.41/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very interesting type of beer. A double IPA Belgium Style!
The color was consistent with so many other Belgium beers. A bit on the pale side with just a little murkiness. The nose was all Belgium! Could almost smell those wild yeasts being used. But adding to this, was a pleasant aroma of hops It was like having two worlds collide.
The initial sip was crisp, overloaded with carbonation. A Belgium taste with an IPA finish, and the finish was dry, very dry and lingering.
Second and third sips and I take back that carbonation aspect, but instead inject with a spunk live approach
Very interesting beer. I sort of like the name, The Audacity of Hops... To me, that meant that move over Hops, even though I am a DIPA, you are going to taste my Belgium style!

3.42/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Granted, this review is on a 5-month old beer, so it's probably going to be a little low.

A: looks a bit more like a witbier with a cloudy yellow base to which a little tan is added. The head is nice and foamy and lasts well.

S: I get a little Belgian yeast, maybe a little hay and lemon, but really weak for a beer proclaiming to be hopped up. I can chalk this up to age a bit, of course.

T/M: starts fairly crisply, with a lemon-based citrus taste, with a mildly floral base (almost like lemon in tea). The later taste is a bit tropical, pineapple. I sort of get the Belgian yeast after the initial taste. In the end I get a little mint, but also a dull taste of wet grass (again, thinking age factor).

O: I almost thought I wouldn't rate this given the fact I wasn't getting the best of it, but wanted to record my thoughts should I get another chance. Even with age, it wasn't that bad, so if the base that remains can be replaced with fresh hops scents and flavors, I could see this being quite enjoyable.

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Were it not an obvious reference to a book title, I'd say this was a badass name for a beer. Not that it's bad 'cause it's a reference, it's just not as awesome as it could have been with the innate originality. Regardless, this stuff pours a hazy sunshine amber topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises Belgian yeast, pine sap, light clove, a pinch of black pepper, melon rind, and a hint of sourdough. The taste brings in more of the same, the yeast and the now slightly-earthier pine jockeying for position, occasionally all-out clashing. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, a solid-enough BIPA, but the yeast and the hops don't fully mesh for me. It's not bad by any stretch, but not something I'm gonna be picking up again any time soon.

3.46/5  rDev -14.4%

3.46/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Nice pour and thick head looks pretty in the glass, decent retention. fruity scent with notes of citrus and pine. taste is similar with strong but not overpowering hop bitterness. Surprisingly drinkable for 8%. Overall I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I would buy again because there are better options at that price.

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: slight haze; medium gold in color; <1 finger white head that receded to a thin collar; nice lacing; a lot of bubbles rising;

S: floral hops;

T: floral hops that cross slightly over into soapy in the middle; virtually no bitterness;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; lightly dry finish;

O; not something I would choose again;

The Audacity Of Hops from Cambridge Brewing Company