Great Pumpkin Ale | Cambridge Brewing Company

Massachusetts, United States
cambridgebrewingcompany.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

New England’s first and CBC’s most sought after seasonal beer, The Great Pumpkin Ale, is back in bottles and on draft! We are very proud to be brewing with locally-grown sugar pumpkins from our friends at The Farm School in Athol, and Wilson Farms in Lexington. We’re also using organic barley that was grown in MA and then small-batch malted by our friends at Valley Malt in Hadley, MA.

Added by sponberg on 10-09-2002

Liked:
3.91/5
Alströms:

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks, Arne!

A: Pours a pale golden body with slight amber highlights. Short-lived beige head. No lace.

S: It's earthy and slightly vegetal (I suppose I could attribute this to the pumpkin) with only a mild spice presence.

T: As the nose goes, the taste follows. Earthy, even mildly fruity -- I'd say hops have a slight edge in the flavor. Somewhat vegetal, with a slimy and oily back end. Mild on the spices; only some nutmeg is noted.

M: Light-medium bodied. Kind of slimy. Coats the mouth, but it doesn't leave any enjoyable flavors when it does.

O: I think I sampled this out of a growler last year, but I must have thrown away the notes. I obviously didn't hate it, as I make it a point to upload reviews of beers I detest. That means I must have enjoyed it. I'm not sure what the difference is between last year's growler and this year's bottle, but this was fairly horrid and no one finished it. Maybe it's old? Off bottle? Who knows.

2.08/5  rDev -46.8%

2.12/5  rDev -45.8%

2.36/5  rDev -39.6%

Too sweet for my taste. Poured a clearish-orange color with a small head. Strong pumpkin and squash flavors coming through in the taste and smell. Also very malty with cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice coming through. The mouthfeel is average - smooth with slight carbonation.

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

2.69/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz bottle

Served in pint glasses with a cinnamon sugar rim

appearance - poured great and looked great! A nice creamy head on it

smell- nothing strong or distinctive about it, but also nothing bad

taste- I was disapointed. After reading all the great reviews about it, I thought there would be more of a taste to it. Seemed very average to actually blah!

mouth-feel- overall it was very easy drinking beer and on the smoother side, which is what I like, but nothing outstanding about it.

overall- not a bad beer , but nothing to really write home about as well. There are so many great pumpkin beers out there now that I don't think I would go back to this one.

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

2.77/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz purchased from Final Gravity, yeah you guys are getting some love. Thanks for being one of the first stores to carry it here in Kahl-ee-Fon-Ya.

A - Pours slightly hazy gold to copper with about 2 fingers of head. Moderately dissipates to about 1/2 finger. Kind of hard for the style to maintain head retention, should not be overly hoppy. Carbonation is moderate to low. Well done.

S - Aromas of lightly toasted bread, light spice - maybe clove, and slight aroma of squash or pumpkin. There is a moderate aroma of floral bittering hops. Quite possibly cascade from the slight pininess.

T - There is a little bit of caramel, some light breadiness, little pumpkin, the spices blend together and are indistinguishable, and there is some light to moderate bittering hops. A little disappointed that the pumpkin flavor and spices were outshined by the ale flavor and hops of the beer.

M- Malt slightly dominates, slightly warming, moderate body, light to moderate carbonated, no off-flavors.

O - Typically when I think of pumpkin beers, I hope to see a balance of the pumpkin and spices with the base beer (ale). The ale was overpowering and I did not get a lot of the pumpkin flavor. I would suggest to others to try other pumpkin ales such as Fat Jack T.R.E.A.T, and others unless you are seeking a pumpkin ale that is base beer heavy and pumpkin/spice light. If that was what Cambridge was going for, then they did a great job.

Was looking forward to this after reading all the reviews. What a let down. Looked "lighter" than I anticpated, not a very good hue of orange. Carbonation was ok. Very little pumpkin taste, a little spice. Overall, I found it to be on the verge of a weak ale, almost watered down. I just saw my growler review from last year and am wondering, "what happened?"

Great Pumpkin Ale from Cambridge Brewing Company