Banryu Ichi | Cambridge Brewing Company

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

Served in a 5oz glass that rests in a traditional wooden sake cup which they called a "masu." No head and very low carbonation on this.

The nose is very intriguing. First hit with a very familiar old fashioned cherry candy aroma that I can't quite place. Next I start to pick up a grain alchol type aroma paired with red berry and some sort of citrus zest.

Taste is a big dose of syrupy cherry candy in the front washed down with a boozy grain alchol finish. Very sweet but it works quite well in my opinion. The sake character lends a completely unfamiliar character to the beer, as I get flavors that I can only half identify as rice, lemon zest, and an almost umami like sensation.

I know very little about sake and traditionally have hated it but this take has opened my eyes. An incredibly original beer and new experience for me. While it doesn't fit my usual preferences I am really glad I got to try this one.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast