Hop Hunter | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Hop HunterHop Hunter

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA will feature hop oil from distilled hops. The idea, which Sierra Nevada hasn't fully revealed, will extract pure hop oil from mature cones, to create an IPA that smells unlike any other IPA you've had. Aroma is key. Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA should finish at 6.2% ABV, 60 IBUs.

Added by BeerVikingSailor on 12-01-2014

Reviews: 580 | Ratings: 3,197
1.09/5  rDev -72.9%

So disappointed in this beer I truly wonder if it really is an IPA, and to imagine that Lagunitas' Tony Magee wanted to sue over this!!??!!??

Flavor: Non-existent
Look: In the bottle or a glass matters not, it lacks.
Smell: Skynard would be greatly disappointed.
Feel: You mean the bottle or the label?
Overall: Not worthy!

I have a 12 pack, minus 3 beers...so that's 9 beers out to someone else!

The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...one of the best there is among all beers. The Hop Hunter...what next?

1.8/5  rDev -55.2%

Bitter. If you love this and don't think it's too bitter, then you have overdone your palette with over hopped beer.

As I went through a few of these I got used to the beer - but still bitter. Will NOT purchase this beer again, will drink it again if offered and nothing else left at the party.

Save your money and avoid.

2.32/5  rDev -42.3%

"Bitter" was my first impression. I drink Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA regularly, and Hop Hunter had none of the complexity or body or aroma I'd come to expect. It was a powerful blast of bitter hops up front with little body behind it. I did not crave another.

2.42/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Wow, I guess I've just gone to far the snob route. This beer was below average. No aroma, no juiciness, no citrus, no dank. Basically on par with a home brew.

2.5/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Didn't have a chance to pour it into a glass because I was outside on a nice day drinking a beer. I didn't love the beer. But I didn't hate the beer. It was so intense on the hops that it didn't offer much else in the flavor department. I will go on record to say that just because a beer is hard to make, doesn't make it good. I applaud that they are trying to push the envelope on what an IPA can be and how it can be made, but I think this one should go back to the drawing board.
I will stick to Sierra Nevada's Celebration and Torpedo for their IPA options.

2.64/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I love IPA's but I hate these Hop Hunters. Love pale ale and Torpedos, but these are awful. Maybe it's the whole hop oil thing, but I will not be buying these again.

2.75/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I guess this ultimately betrays user reviews as relativistic absurdities. "Pine tree in a bottle, that will get you drunk" is where I am at on this.

So far, of course, because it comes in a six pack.

2.79/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I'm a mega fan of Sierra Nevada's releases, but this one just didn't do it for me. When I read about SN's use of hop oils, I was cloyingly hoping for a hop wallop similar to Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid. But this beer looks thin, pours thin, and tastes thin. Refreshing enough, but this release falls short of SN's other epic releases...

2.9/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I purchased this beer today based on the reviews here. Basically this beer taste strongly like the white pith of both grapefruit and oranges with grapefruit being the dominant flavor. It hits the tongue with a harsh entry and finishes off being extremely bitter. There is nothing mellow about this beer, not at all. Please do not even consider paring it with food because being so bitter it will not compliment any dish. It boast 6.2% ABV yet there was not a mellow buzz that usually accompany a beer in the same ABV percentile. I cannot say it was balanced because the strong grapefruit essence overpowered whatever flavor made up the mix. It was on sale for $8.99 today. I feel sad that I wasted my hard earned cash on a bottle filled with the bitter taste of grapefruit pith. I will not purchase this again and I wish it was a return policy for unfinished product.

2.94/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

ehhhh....not a keeper.
has the taste, look and feel of a mass-produced macro-brew. The hops seem to be just bitter for the sake of bitterness, but they miss on that, too at a relatively low IBU = 60.
pale yellow, reminiscent of a Miller Lite. head was mostly non existent. To me, very astringent mouth feel. Smell was noticeable but not aromatic.
My expectations for SN are appropriate for what they are, but I won't try this one again. My "everyday" beer is often SN Pale Ale.
this was poured from 12 oz bottle.

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%

Not sure what the hype is here. Very drinkable as it should be. Decent hop aroma but the look and taste dont really do me in when I want a great hoppy ipa.

2.99/5  rDev -25.6%

There's something artificial about it, like a good diet soda where you almost can't tell. But it's odd how the bitterness lingers and the aroma is flat. It's not bad at all, but there are many better beers for the money. SN's Pale Ale is better, for example. And Hop Hunter can't touch the excellent Celebration Ale.

3.01/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I've been on an IPA kick lately so maybe my taste buds have been singed, but I found this IPA to be rather unremarkable - can't say that the hop oil trick really did anything to make it stand out. Love the Sierra Nevada line of brews, but this is nothing more than a very drinkable, average IPA.

3.06/5  rDev -23.9%

Pretty basic and uninteresting, not very crisp and hoppy like I prefer my IPAs. Not undrinkable, but I'd probably even take a regular SN Pale Ale over this.

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3 | smell: 5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass.

A - 3 - Pours clear gold in color. Forms a 2 finger, bright white, decently dense but not too creamy head. Medium head potential, good head retention, whispy lacing.
S - 5 - Wow, EXTREMELY wet, juicy and dank hops, grapefruit flesh and rind and orange peels, HOWEVER...
T - 2.25 - The taste doesn't match in the slightest. Extremely weak watered down hops upfront, ends on a carbonation bite similar to that of your standard domestic beer.
F - 2.5 - Mouthfeel is too thin in my opinion.
O - 2.75 - What we have here is, in my opinion a waste of time, money, effort and resources in the form of a beer. The "hop oil" they add makes the smell absolutely absurdly amazing, but does absolutely NOTHING for the taste whatsoever. So we basically have an IPA with a 5 star aroma and NOTHING backing it up in taste, mouthfeel or aroma. I'm probably stepping on a lot of toes here, but with a name like HOP HUNTER, I expected something just a tad bit stronger than this. Cannot recommend this beer so many are hyping up unfortunately.

3.09/5  rDev -23.1%

Pour: 12oz bottle into tulip glass. Appearance: Gold, clear with a thin white head. Aroma: light hop notes. Flavor: light spice and hops. Aftertaste: spice and hops are consistent through the back end. Overall: I was expecting more. Good: 3 out of 5.

3.13/5  rDev -22.1%

Served from 12oz bottle

A — Pours a very very pale amber color, very light overall. There is a thin almost white colored head on top of it.

S — Smells of bitter piney hops, little bit of malt, but its really dominated by piney and bitter hop tones.

T — Quite one dimensional and hop forward, very bitter and dry.

M — Thin overall, extremely crisp, almost over carbonated.

O — OK overall, but it misses the mark, just a bitter piney and dry mess.

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Meh. The hop taste is mild and mostly aromatic. Not much mouth feel. Not complex.... really simplistic brew. It's pee yellow which is the neatest thing about this mediocre brew.

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pretty run-of-the-mill IPA. Extra hoppiness on the finish. Beyond that, I'm hard pressed to find anything extraordinary here. Not bad. Not memorable.

3.15/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer has the appearance of pineapple juice, very clear, nice carbonation. The nose smells very extract-ish to me. Similar to those hopshots that come with extract IPA brewing kits. Other than that its very piny, grassy and green. Taste follows the nose quite well, this beer tastes like extract. The hoppiness of this beer tastes artificial. This ones not particularly for me.

3.15/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Bright yellow, decent initial head.

Strong pine and slightly dank citrus note.

A long pine note, really not a lot going on here.

Mouthfeel somewhat flat.

Meh. This didn't really excite me.

3.17/5  rDev -21.1%

A-pours a clear yellow straw color with a fluffy white head with very nice retention
S-tons of green chlorophyl hop aroma, and some pine. Smells like a freshly opened bag of hop pellets before they are boiled
T-kind of a muddled green hop flavor, very similar to the aroma. Lacking in malt flavor. Some citrus as you continue drinking
M-medium bodied with average carbonation
O-not my favorite offering from sierra nevada. The beer seems a bit hollow with a lot of aroma that is a bit one dimensional, and lacks in flavor

3.17/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Surprisingly clear and crystal, but with a polite piss color, with a 1/2 finger of bubbly creamy head.

Aroma is all hop. Freshly opened hop pellets. Some oils. Just hop hop hop. Zero points for complexity, but plenty of them for smelling exactly like hops alone.

Flavor is like hop water basically, with some onion-y flavors, slight garlic, some piss.

Feel is oily and resinous, with some good carbonation backing it up.

Overall, too one-noted and not diverse enough to make for an interesting beer. This is all hop though, so if you want hop tea or hop water, this is what you're looking for.

3.18/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

This beer is a thin, uninspired, underwhelming hop tea, featuring a basic, bare hop bitterness without any malt backbone or balancing body. I will not drink it again.

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Meh not the best ipa but not the worst.
Simply not complex enough for me, you get some citrus flavors mainly.. orange peel some pine ... and that's it.
Doesn't even touch the torpedo from sierra nevada which has got me grabbing more of there beers cause I love that beer so much. Allso the maiden the shade is delicious also.

Yeah when you go raving on about other beers while you're supposed to be reviewing this beer it probably means this beer isn't that great..

Hop Hunter from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.