Hop Hunter | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Hop HunterHop Hunter
Liked This Beer
4.06 w/ 3,250 ratings
Hop HunterHop Hunter

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA will feature hop oil from distilled hops. The idea, which Sierra Nevada hasn't fully revealed, will extract pure hop oil from mature cones, to create an IPA that smells unlike any other IPA you've had. Aroma is key. Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA should finish at 6.2% ABV, 60 IBUs.

Added by BeerVikingSailor on 12-01-2014

Liked:
4.06/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,250 |  Reviews: 594
1.09/5  rDev -73.2%

So disappointed in this beer I truly wonder if it really is an IPA, and to imagine that Lagunitas' Tony Magee wanted to sue over this!!??!!??

Flavor: Non-existent
Look: In the bottle or a glass matters not, it lacks.
Smell: Skynard would be greatly disappointed.
Feel: You mean the bottle or the label?
Overall: Not worthy!

I have a 12 pack, minus 3 beers...so that's 9 beers out to someone else!

The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...one of the best there is among all beers. The Hop Hunter...what next?

1.57/5  rDev -61.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

bitter beer, not my Idea of a good beer. Surprises me how many like bitter beer.

1.74/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Bland, typical Sierra Nevada. I really don't understand the good reviews.

1.8/5  rDev -55.7%

Bitter. If you love this and don't think it's too bitter, then you have overdone your palette with over hopped beer.

As I went through a few of these I got used to the beer - but still bitter. Will NOT purchase this beer again, will drink it again if offered and nothing else left at the party.

Save your money and avoid.

1.87/5  rDev -53.9%

Half step more bitter than SNPA. Decent IPA but nothing to make trip to the pub for. At 60 IBU what did I expect?

2.02/5  rDev -50.2%

Hop heads will live this, I did not.

2.18/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Nothing distinctive, run of the mill

2.32/5  rDev -42.9%

"Bitter" was my first impression. I drink Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA regularly, and Hop Hunter had none of the complexity or body or aroma I'd come to expect. It was a powerful blast of bitter hops up front with little body behind it. I did not crave another.

2.42/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Wow, I guess I've just gone to far the snob route. This beer was below average. No aroma, no juiciness, no citrus, no dank. Basically on par with a home brew.

2.47/5  rDev -39.2%

Average at best. Not terribly hoppy.

2.49/5  rDev -38.7%

If you like hops you will love this...

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Love the idea of the hop oil but didnt love the execution on this one. Very bitter up front, I would have preferred if it was more balanced

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Didn't have a chance to pour it into a glass because I was outside on a nice day drinking a beer. I didn't love the beer. But I didn't hate the beer. It was so intense on the hops that it didn't offer much else in the flavor department. I will go on record to say that just because a beer is hard to make, doesn't make it good. I applaud that they are trying to push the envelope on what an IPA can be and how it can be made, but I think this one should go back to the drawing board.
I will stick to Sierra Nevada's Celebration and Torpedo for their IPA options.

2.54/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Smells awesome taste is ya basic IPA drinks well though

2.64/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I love IPA's but I hate these Hop Hunters. Love pale ale and Torpedos, but these are awful. Maybe it's the whole hop oil thing, but I will not be buying these again.

2.64/5  rDev -35%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Tinny flavor with little after taste or aroma. Least favorite Sierra offering

2.66/5  rDev -34.5%

Water feel and no grass flavor

2.69/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Not a fan of the style, but this especially tastes piney, and not in a good way. Just not smooth or balanced whatsoever.

2.71/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Other than the smell this beer is not good and one of the biggest let downs in a long time.

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I guess this ultimately betrays user reviews as relativistic absurdities. "Pine tree in a bottle, that will get you drunk" is where I am at on this.

So far, of course, because it comes in a six pack.

2.79/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I'm a mega fan of Sierra Nevada's releases, but this one just didn't do it for me. When I read about SN's use of hop oils, I was cloyingly hoping for a hop wallop similar to Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid. But this beer looks thin, pours thin, and tastes thin. Refreshing enough, but this release falls short of SN's other epic releases...

2.81/5  rDev -30.8%

I'm not sure what this is supposed to be, but it seems contrived and 'fake'.

2.84/5  rDev -30%

Not bad, but just avg to me within the field of great ipas out there.

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I purchased this beer today based on the reviews here. Basically this beer taste strongly like the white pith of both grapefruit and oranges with grapefruit being the dominant flavor. It hits the tongue with a harsh entry and finishes off being extremely bitter. There is nothing mellow about this beer, not at all. Please do not even consider paring it with food because being so bitter it will not compliment any dish. It boast 6.2% ABV yet there was not a mellow buzz that usually accompany a beer in the same ABV percentile. I cannot say it was balanced because the strong grapefruit essence overpowered whatever flavor made up the mix. It was on sale for $8.99 today. I feel sad that I wasted my hard earned cash on a bottle filled with the bitter taste of grapefruit pith. I will not purchase this again and I wish it was a return policy for unfinished product.

Hop Hunter from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 86.9% out of 100 with 3,250 ratings