Sierra Nevada India Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada India Pale AleSierra Nevada India Pale Ale
3.67/5
Good
Sierra Nevada India Pale AleSierra Nevada India Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-25-2001

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
4.65/5  rDev +26.7%

Gave this a vigorous pour which resulted in an 1 1/2 inch head that gradually subsided into an 1/2 inch about halfway-down, then 1/4 inch or less the rest of the way, and left nice lacing all the way down. Color is an appealing golden-orange copper. Aroma is hop citrusy, and slight malt sweetness- both of these seem almost perfectly balanced. Taste is similiar, pretty much delivering the taste promised by aroma: a mild grapefuit hop bite followed by a minimally sweet (which I prefer) malt, finishing slightly and pleasantly dry, but not parchingly so. Very smooth and full mouthfeel.This is entirely satisfying, and leaving me wanting more, and more was had, and has been had. SNIPA2006 is very drinkable, one for both us hopheads, and those who are, well, the OTHERS (it won't scare them away, and they will actually enjoy it). An excellent, if sublime substitute for Celebration, and in fact I found this after exhausting all possible sources of SN Celebration 2005. I have been enjoying this since finishing the last of 2005 Celebration that I could find, and while Celebration is infinitely way more better, as well as my personal favorite, this is an excellent IPA- a little less (but only a little less) aggressive as most "west coast IPA's", which makes it seem a more sublime IPA than it really is, and of course another excellent offering from SN.

4.65/5  rDev +26.7%

Pours a nice golden amber color with an off white head that slowly disappeared into a ring
Smell is very faint, light hops
Medium mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation
Very good citrus taste, mostly of grapefruit, that lasts for quite a while on the tongue.
This is a great beer, very easy to drink.
Definately one of my favorite PA's

4.66/5  rDev +27%

Deliciously hoppy with just enough malt balance. A rare and exceptional American IPA.

4.73/5  rDev +28.9%

This was really an awesome beer!

Poured a bottle in a pint glass. Thick, half inch head that left gorgeous lacing all the way down the glass. Golden amber color. It looks like the perfect light (as opposed to stout) beer.

Aroma was nice and hoppy, but not overpowering. It really smelled good! I was glad that it lacked the strong grapefruit and pine smells which I have really grown to dislike in so many other American beers.

The taste was perfect. Very bitter, balanced by the right amount of malt flavor.

A very clean, bitter finish that left the palate refreshed and wanting more without leaving behind a clingy, nasty, hoppy aftertaste, a la Celebration. Just the right thickness and carbonation.

Extremely drinkable brew. I've found a new favorite beer to have when I just want a "beer" to drink and don't want to mess with all the over-the-top and extreme beers that we seem so obsessed with creating. This is what I think of when I think of a glass of beer.

Hats off to Sierra Nevada for creating this awesome brew!!

4.82/5  rDev +31.3%

2006
Clear copper body. Plenty of carbonation feeding a light tan head with great lace and good retention.
Spicy hops and sweet malt greets the nose. Some honey and caramel. Faint floral notes and even weaker hints of licorice.
Incredible balance. Very sweet malts are held in perfect check by the strong and spicy hops. Aftertaste is pure bliss and last pleasantly on the tongue. balanced at first then giving way to stronger and more powerful hop characters.
Mouthfeel is great. Slightly dry finish and very refreshing. Good coating and slick sensation left after the swallow.
Great drinkability but watch the ABV. This is an IPA with enough kick to take on anyone.

-Oelergud

4.84/5  rDev +31.9%

The bottle identifies it as 2007 vintage. Beyond that, "7005A0844" is as cryptic as anything that I have ever seen. Oh well.

Poured with about a finger's worth of off-tan head with little retention. Nose was pine-y, citrus-y, and resin-y, absolutely an American IPA! Color was a slightly hazy deep-amber with a lot of effervescence. Mouthfeel was full and bubbly with an outrageous burst of hops on the tongue that almost made me cough. After a week of Ukrainian whatevers, this was such a welcome change. Oh man, I felt like a junkie who has been trying to kick with methadone for a week and finally gives up, taking a solid mainline hit into his favorite vein (not that I'd know anything about any of that, being such a straight arrow and all). The finish was hops, hops, and more hops. Tell you what - keep the malty stuff and just keep feeding me this kind of thing. Say, did anyone else hear a monkey chattering in the background the last few days? It's no matter. He seems to have shut up now. Where can I get some more of this? It was much needed.

4.92/5  rDev +34.1%

This is my first review for BA, so I should make my viewpoint known. I am pretty new to craft, micro brews and ales in general. I took an interest in ales only two years ago.

It seems to me that there are two ways of evaluating an IPA. An IPA can be tasted fresh and soon after the bottling date, or it can be evaluated after six months of cellaring. I believe that the true test of any IPA must be made after a minimum of six months of bottle aging: the true test of a beer that was originally formulated to be consumed after an unrefrigerated voyage of six months duration from the British Isles to the Indian subcontinent.

I enjoyed the February 2007 bottling of Sierra Nevada IPA fresh. I also enjoy another SN IPA as a fresh IPA: Celebration Ale.

For this review I have notes for Sierra Nevada India Pale Ale (with the dark green schooner label) bottled 70058 (February 27, 2007). This evaluation was enjoyed in September of 2007, when the IPA was six months old. It was cellared without refrigeration in my garage stored dark and covered in a cool northern corner on slab concrete.

SN India Pale Ale is poured into a glass stein. Aroma is hoppy, fruity and pungent without the slightest trace of skunking. A raisin scent is noticed immediately. The head is quick to form, modest in height, dense, sandy off-white in color and laces well. Carbonation is lively and long lasting. The color is dark amber with burnished gold highlights. This IPA poured with a medium clarity owing to suspended yeast that accumulated on the bottom ½ inch of the bottle during six months of aging. Plenty of yeast stayed put on the bottom of the bottle.

The taste displayed a sharp but not overly powerful hops bite that lingered as the predominant aftertaste. The malt and fruitiness of the Goldings hops combined harmoniously as only single hop ale can: toasty, mellow malt with depth and a rich caramelized sweetness. The dark raisin and toffee taste was a welcome surprise. Substantial, but medium feel in the mouth but refreshing. Not bad in the summer. Robust hops bitterness aside: this is the sweetest IPA I have yet to taste.

I’ll offer another review of this ale in March 2008, after the brew has bottle aged for a year.

Sierra Nevada India Pale Ale is a beautifully balanced bottled IPA. I’m asking the brewery to do another bottled run in February 2008. I hope they listen. Pack it in 12-pack boxes so we can lay it up for six months or more.

I’m looking forward to tasting SN Celebration Ale late this summer. I’ve laid up several 12-packs low in the boat so they will be ready to enjoy at anchor in the heat of August.

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
Sierra Nevada India Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.