Otra Vez | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Otra VezOtra Vez
3.68/5
Good
Otra VezOtra Vez

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: Leipzig Gose

In California, where temperatures often top triple digits, perfecting the warm weather beer is a priority. We happened upon a sweet-tangy blend of native-grown prickly pear cactus and grapefruit combined with the zing of a traditional gose for a vicious but delicious twist on the stodgy summer sippers.

Otra Vez is a tangy twist on the nearly extinct gose style. It combines the zip of prickly pear cactus with a hint of grapefruit for a bright and refreshing finish.

Added by superspak on 08-22-2015

Ratings: 1,609 |  Reviews: 423
Reviews by justintcoons:
3.11/5  rDev -15.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Pale straw with 2 fingers of creamy white head. Slight haze with lively carbonation.

Nose
Lemon zest, grains, and slight SweeTart.

Taste
Lemon juice and watermelon Jolly Rancher. Doughy bread with a slight SweeTart Lacto character. Mineral water and some gym locker room funk.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied, mildly tart, crisp, and refreshing.

Overall
I wish this tasted more like I think a cactus should. I've decided a long time ago that Gose is a shitty beer style and it was almost extinct with good reason. With that being said, this one is bearable.

Stepping out of their comfort zone and into the world of sour fermentation, Sierra Nevada joins the wave that rides on with tartness, fruity and dry flavors, and doing so in their unique Californian way.

Lightly foggy and shielded with a straw gold austere, Otra Vez is a frothy pour with a short but sturdy white crown. The pungency of cactus flesh and sour fermentaiton rise to the nose at the same time that musty grapefruit does for a unique scent that's truly "something else". But its taste is crisply malty with notions of sourdough and confectioner's sweetness.

With the fruit, sour and sweetness embarking on the middle palate, a taste of "sweetheart" candy offers a tangy sweet sensation- all ahead of sour-ish fruit of lemon, lime, green apple and agave that hints toward margarita. Final flavors are mildly of mineral and saline with the cactus reading much like mexcal on the late palate, along with the bitterness of grapefruit peel and perfumy cilantro.

Medium-light for the gose style, the beer's final frame leaves lasting impressions of margaritas and white wine sangria en route to a crisp, clean and highly refreshing finish; and only an echo of sourdough and burlap lingering behind. Its a great taste that begs for more souring power, especially after its first pungent scent and earthy cactus taste.

4.26/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

5 ounce pour at The Torpedo Room.

Bright golden body and excellent clarity. Sudsy and lace aplenty. 5

Tart, wheaty, salty with touches of peach and citrus. Very nice. 4

Surprisingly sweet entrance with some citrusy agave flavor. Tart and wheaty mid-palate. Salty and peach-noted on the finish. Love this flavor profile. 4.25

Light, refreshing and perfectly tart. Mellow sweetness and salt round things out. 4.5

SN did their thing with this. Excellent.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Considering the style is seeing a pretty heavy and heart-felt resurgence across the US craft scene, it's a pretty sperious claim y Sierra Nevada that Otra Vez is a "a tangy twist on the nearly extinct gose style." That's not to say that Otra Vez isn't a tangy twist on that style, though; and while gose is far from extinct these days, this is both one of the tangier, and one of the tastier, twists I've tried.

Indeed, I usually favor the straight-up expressions of gose—say, Off Color's tremendous Troublesome—finding the frequent fruit editions to other iterations both unnecessary and excessive (not to mention, given German drinking conventions, more in line with the styles of Berliner Weisse). Otra Vez, true to name, represents a refreshing other: a judicious restraint on the extent of fruit, and a perspicacious judgment on what fruit to use—and that goes not just for gose, but for fruited beers in general.

First, it looks great: that wonderful, burnished flax hue is expressed nicely by this beer, peppered fairly vigorously with a nice, clear, thin-lined effervescence, and punctuated by a likewise thin-but-firm hoary head, which lingers long into the consumption. It smells very refreshing too, if not particularly pungent, wafting up a novel cactus juiciness, as well as a citric note that seems more Meyer lemon or Thai lime than grapefruit; there's also a hint of the saline—like the first whiff of the ocean as one has nearly surmounted a mountain-pass towards the sea—that both promises its gose heritage and accents nicely the bouquet's cooling wind. Meanwhile, the tang is certainly there from first sip: it tingles the tongue, touching fairly intense notes of sea-salt, along with familiar prickly-pear sugars and a lime-like tartness that lacks the expected bitter-accompaniment grapefruit normally supplies. No bitterness at all, in fact, attends the grapefruit additions, so the citrus notes only enhance the "zing," riding heavy atop the dry, super-pale malts, which leave the prickly-pear to provide the bulk of sweetness.

If there are any dings to add to the notes of zing, they'd be twofold. The first is that the salinity is pushed a bit too far in service of tang; the other elements, aside some salt-restraint, would've more than sufficed. Secondly, the mouthfeel is, to my tastes, just a tad too velvety-viscous for a self-proclaimed "triple-digits" beer, and not as crisp and dry as some of the really great US-crafted goses (say, the aforementioned Troublesome)—though that factor, nor the heavy-handed salting, is enough to weigh this somewhat-risky effort down to the point where I could call it unsuccessful. In fact, considering how fraught fruit-inclusive brewing can be, I'd say Otra Vez's success is pretty rousing.

4.01/5  rDev +9%

this is better than its getting credit for, even though it seems to be taking over the world right now. does that make sense? everyone is pouring it, its flying off shelves, and yet the beer geeks think its a gimmick still. i disagree pretty hard with the haters right now, pulling on one of these ice cold from the classic sierra stubby bottle. its a pretty beer, great nose, and interesting enough to hold my attention, thats for sure. very odd release from these guys, who tend to stick within their hoppy wheelhouse, this is a stretch for them, but its well dialed in. i think there is an awesome blend of the three key elements, which are lactic tartness, cactus, and grapefruit. there is just enough sour here, past tart to puckery but short of an acid bomb, i could drink a bunch of these and not have my tummy turn. the cactus bit is lush and pungent, summery and vegetal, green and wet, and the grapefruit is tangy and bright, alive and juicy, and just really well balanced all together here. carbonation is lively to say the least, this really pops off in the mouth. the end is just bitter enough but still lush and drippy from the prickly pear. i love the feel. some salt here too, i think its true enough to style there to get a passing grade, at least from me, and the additives make a huge positive impact without taking over the beer. i dont care if its trendy, its really good.

3.22/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Initially I thought the first taste was extremely tangy and thought this was going to be disgusting. However, as I kept drinking it, it started to grow on me and thought it was interestingly good. I particularly like the saltiness to it, as its a Gose style and was my first experience of this style. Overall I enjoyed it considering its a dying style. Now I want to try more.

4.06/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass.

Muted but unfiltered appearance, fairly clear though with a bit of a glow to it. Color manages a lemon yellow, slightly green a bit to give it just a shade darker and less bright. Head is very bleach white, foamy, but also manages a very tall three fingers on the pour. It settles with little lacing, and minor retention, and a small puck. Very nice looking brew.

Interesting aroma. Very green garden smelling, with a touch of salinity. Sourness does have a lemon touch, and there's a chewy wheat component as well. If I didn't know this was cactus I would be really hard to understand what this sort of chewy leafy green plant like sensation is. Very peculiar and neat though. However I get more lemon than grapefruit on the citrus angle.

Palate pretty much comes with no surprises, other than it's quite different. Slightly chewy malt depth in the mid palate. Much of the aroma matches the base palate, a chewy malt, lemon washing with mild sensing tartness. There's definitely that green garden thick vegetable like quality as well, but seems to go on with a much lighter body in the palate than the flavor seems to showcase. Mouthfeel seems real interesting almost like a thicker breadier pils, but also has a moderate but low feeling carbonation.

A very unique Gose as well, seems to reminds me more of a Berliner as the briney and salty character also takes a back seat to more lacto and lemon forward flavors.

1.38/5  rDev -62.5%

Look: shimmery yellowish, not too hazy. Visible carbonation throughout drink.
Smell: not unlike the scent of vomit.
Taste: the taste of vomit. Actual vomit. Not hyperbolic vomit.
Feel: Thinner than expected, but pretty average altogether.

I really hope this was a bad batch I got on draft. The taste was acidic and citrus-ey to an unbearable degree, and this overpowered any prickly pear cactus or grapefruit flavors from penetrating the palate. Worst beer I've ever had.

2.06/5  rDev -44%

I don't know how they call this beer. I'm sorry, I don't like to write negative reports, but this beer reminds me of the water we had to drink in the Iraqi desert. It's a shame because I really like Sierra Nevada beers. Their Pale Ale and Torpedo IPA are some of the best beers out there, IMHO. This "Otra Vez" is just bad beer.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

Sierra Nevada Otra Vez.

Stopped by the Monroe Liquor Plaza after seeing on their Facebook that they updated their singles section to be the biggest in the county. Found quite a few new beers I haven't had as well. Only had one Hose and it wasn't impressive, and apparently this is brewed with cactus? Lmao. Let's do it.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle hard poured into a pint glass. This brew pours a filtered lemonate like honey yellow with a massive frothy though dense white head. Stop and go with this one to prevent spillage. Head quickly dies down to a moderately thick ring amongst the edges.carbonation appears to be on about moderate. No lacing amongst a finished glass.

Smell - The scent isn't alltht large high t is moderately acidic with a bit of tarness. Not picking up any vegetable or even hoppy notes. It does smell like it should for the style so I can't knock it here.

Taste - I am REALLY digging this flavor profile for some reason. Starts off tart but not too tart, the grapefruit does become prevelant here as does a touch of what I believe to be the cactus. What really wins is the ultra unique sweetness I'm getting,it's almost sweet tart like in nature,and not those cheap ones either. While it is not a huge profile, cactus has quickly shot up to one of my favorite beer ingredients. Tastiest beer I've ever had at this percentage.

Feel - Tartness turns up just a bit more with a nice level of cabontion that fits perfectly. Upon swallow the mouth and throat are once again coated in that lovely sweetness that I'm assuming comes from the cactus. Like if I were stoned right now I would probably try eating the beer or letting it sit forever just to focus on how pleasurable this is to my sense of taste. Swallows clean and easy.

Overall - This was fantastic. I didn't expect much of anything out of this beer but WOW. Again favorite flavor profile I've ever come across is a lower ABV beer. You should DEFINITELY try this one out. Sierra Nevada needs to make this FOREVER. Think I've found a permanent, easy to find go to for the rest of my days..

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I am a big fan of the style and of Sierra Nevada so had pretty big expectations for this one. However, I was somewhat disappointed. Not bad but certainly not special.

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a pale gold from the bottle. Fair amount of carbonation, but the head dies quickly. Decent nose of grass, citrus and a bit of spice. The taste is fairly muted. The cactus comes off as muted pear and aloe. Hardly tart at all. Medium light mouth with less carbonation than I would have expected. I guess gose-style means they're trying to fool you into believing you'll get at least a bit of a salty pucker. Not with this, you don't.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I wanted more out of this, but still refreshing and full of flavor. I get a slight tartness, but expected bigger flavors. This is very sessionable, but honestly wanted more.

3.01/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bottle from Colonial Spirits
Fairly clear yellow color with a decent sized long lasting bubbly white head that persists. Light earthy funk with a hint of lemon on the nose. Light fruity perfume tartness in the flavor. Sweet fruity with a bit of grapefruit tartness on the flavor in my opinion obliterate any Gose in my glass. Maybe a bit of saltiness in there, but I'm not a fan of the way this comes together.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Very pale yellow body, very cloudy, white head, diminutive bubbles rise. Nose is pilsner-like malt (bread, mild spice, and topsoil), faint fruitness and tartness. The flavor is fantastic- the cactus/grapefruit combo ends up tasting like tangy juicy watermelon, with a sharp, quenching finish. Mild spices and wheat flavor. Off-dry. Light body, delicate carbonation bring it to life, and the tang makes this mouth watering.
Damn delicious beer. I didn't care for the nose, but the taste redeemed it and then some. It was more heavy handed with added flavors than than a traditional gose, but then again we weren't looking for a traditional gose experience, now were we?

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

This is my first Gose style ale so I have nothing to compare it to, and nothing to judge it on other than my own sensibilities. That being said, it's definitely.. different. Very weak nose. Alarmingly weak. There's really nothing but a faint malt aroma. The taste jumps out with a sour/salty tang followed by...not much else. Hop presence is nil. There is a very mild, but pleasant taste from what I'm assuming is the prickly pear cactus. I'm curious how this brew may play out in the summer months, but I don't think I'll be trying it again before then. Even if it proves to be a refreshing summer beverage, I think I may have a hard time thinking of it as a beer.

4.19/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

In the glass: Hazy and light in color. Plenty of carbonation, slight head retention then formed a thin foamy ring around the edge of the glass.
On the nose: tang, bits of coriander and melon/citrus
taste: sour, briny, sweet, tangy and sweetness (grapefruit citrus pulling through in the middle) with a lingering malt body.
Mouthfeel: tart, fizzy, crisp and refreshing and medium bodied (wheat character)
Overall: You just don't get brewers attempting this style a whole lot anymore. Maybe it will make a comeback like the saison has been of recent years. I think the balance of the sweetness and fruit flavor of the grapefruit, low hoppy bitterness and zing of the cactus with sour from the lactic acid. Hints of coriander and earthy spice as well. On a hot day, this could be a great beach beer. I'd take this over a corona anyday. Cheers!

3.09/5  rDev -16%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Very light hazy yellow with white cap that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Citrus, vegital (Napa cabbage?) with a hint of hops.

Taste: To me it tastes like Bud Light in which someone marinated salted grapefruit. Not a bad taste, pleasant almost, not very beer like though. Salt is evident on entry, middle and finish. Malt and hops are far in the background.

Texture: Light texture, not much more to say.

Oh my Gose. I know, this isn't the only one, just the first of the genre I've tried. After considerable thought (just a few minutes but for me that's considerable) I decided I'm glad I didn't buy a six pack.

4.83/5  rDev +31.3%

Poured into a snifter/tulip/wine hybrid glass from a 12oz bottle

A - Slightly hazy gold/straw in color, less than a finger white head and zero legs/lacing

S - A funky Belgian yeast, huge sugar, dry grains/malt, cactus, sweet aloe, and a dry/sour nose all around.

T - Sweet and sour up front, dry grains/malts, dry Belgian yeast, sweet cactus, sour and slightly bitter grapefruit (citrus) and refreshingly fruity all around.

M - Light body, medium acidity, medium carbonation, nice complexity, nice balance and basically a less sugary "sour patch kids" (drink) for adults.

D/O - This beer is a delight. Quenching, tasty and I could drink a six pack like "double gulp" of pop. The smell and taste notes are simple and yet complex -- all the while keeping me wanting and coming back for more.

Final thoughts - at 4.5% abv (lower than bud light) this is an all day beer with real flavor. The more expensive than bud light price of falvor (not that comparing the two isn't "apples and oranges").

3.62/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

PKGD 4/20/17

A: Hazy bright yellow. Finger of white head. Carbonation is moderate, with small bubbles rising to the surface.

S: Light malts, mildly funky.

T: Small malt bill up front with mild acidity leaning through the mid palate. Tastes like a sour beer with training wheels. Some nondescript fruit characteristic and a touch of barnyard funk. Finish is a mild citrus/coriander.

M: Light. Crushable. Enough carbonation to make it refreshing.

O: Not bad. I'm not acclimated enough with sours styles but this one isn't particularly sour. It is refreshing, fairly flavorful and different. Easy beach beer.

4.06/5  rDev +10.3%

3.82/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A nice sessionable take on a gose. Slightly salty. I get more cactus on the palate than grapefruit. But it has a light tartness that allows you to keep drinking. Nice take on the style.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Otra Vez from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.68 out of 5 with 1,609 ratings