Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale
4.15/5
Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Ratings: 10,238 |  Reviews: 3,468
4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

Tis the season can mean a lot of different things to different people, but to me, I think not of candy canes, shopping malls, annoying as shit carols, or eggnog; I now think of Sierra Nevada Celebration.
I poured this one into a Samuel Adams pint glass. The body has a dark rich copper color to it that's topped off with a massive beige pillow of fluffy goodness that sinks some but not much.
The aroma seems dominated by grapefruit, and pine, but lurking not to far behind comes the fruity, caramel sweetness.
The hop bitterness cuts through your tongue and shatters the jaw, then mercifully lays flat a thin layer of sweetness.
The mouthfeel is thin to medium.
Overall this is my favorite seasonal. Another great one from the mighty Sierra Nevada.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz bottle, 2012 vintage. It was poured into my Duvel tulip.

Sierra Nevada Celebration pours a dark amber, with a good bit of clarity to it. Just over two fingers of dirty white foam finish off the look, hanging around for a few minutes before leaving chunks of lacing stuck to the glass. The aroma is predominantly grapefruit in character, but a bit of more piney hops manages to sneak into the nose as well. There's a healthy dollop of caramel and candied sugar right up front, before a bitterness intercedes. My first impression is that it's relatively mild, but it does increase in intensity as it moves towards the back of my palate. The hoppy finish is closer to straight floral grapefruit, but there's still a little bit of pine appreciable. The body definitely isn't on the dry end of the spectrum for an IPA. For a beer that's (hopefully) only going to be consumed in the winter months, I don't mind that as much. The carbonation could stand to "pop" just a little bit more though. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Sierra Nevada Celebration, but I don't quite see what makes some of my beer geek brethren go crazy about it either.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Served in nonic pint.

A - Dark amber color with massive 5 inch head that cascades over the rim of the glass. Excellent lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Piney hops with hints of citrus.

T - Assertive hops, pine, lemon, a bit of sweetness towards the middle, with pleasantly bitter finish

M - Medium bodied with light buttery creaminess. Very crisp and refreshing

O - A well-crafted hoppy pale ale. One of the finest examples of the style that I've tasted.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious. One that's worth waiting for year after year. 2012 though is very good. Pours ok. Even on a careful pour there's quite a bit of head, which I don't favor but overlook for this one. Smells dam good toffee, caramel, oak amongst others. Taste, Dam good. That's why I drink it. Does have a grapefruit ending, slightly bitter. Overall I look forward to this one. Slightly heavy a sixer tops.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

A: amber, cloudy body, had head about 2 fingers wide great retention.

S: hops! love it! pine, sweet

T: Well balanced taste hops up front then a little spice and then malty caramel... then the dry hops very good!

M: good body, clean but very full

O: Sierra Nevada, one of my favorite breweries. Has a can't miss beer her. Bought a case for an xmas party and everyone enjoyed it and for $34 bills you can't go wrong. Great beer
poured into a pint glass

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. botttle into a dimpled beer mug.

A-Poured a cloudy, medium amber color, with an orange hue. The off-white head was creamy, 1.5 inches, and thick! The head dissipated into a fluffy white surface that gave this beer an incredible mouthful! A nice sticky lace was left on the glass. This beer was one the best IPA's I have seen!

S-Grapefruity with citrus undertones. I could really smell the American whole cone hops. Very balanced smell. There were also traces of sweet malt as well.

T-Just like the smell, grapefruit, pine, citrus, whole cone hops, and a nice balance of sweet malt. The aftertaste left a bitter hop taste that created a dry feel. This was balanced by the sweet malt on the initial taste of the brew. There were also traces of that spicy X-mas taste you can find in mulled wine. Great winter brew. It was so nicely balanced that the higher ABV was not noticeable.

M-This was a full-bodied brew with a crisp and dry finish that also felt a little light. Balanced and nice.

Overall, I recommend this brew to those that love IPA's with a spicy holiday twist. Sierra Nevada never disappoints. Try this with spicy Thai food. You'll be highly satisfied. This may sound strange, but try it while eating a grapefruit or an orange. You'll be surprised. Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. My first time having this one, I love Sierra Nevada and I have high hopes.

A: Pours with a big off white head which turns into a 1/4 of nice bubbles. Golden amber body, great carbonation Lacing on the glass. This is a sexy brew so far.

S: Hop forward smell. Citrus and earthy, floral and pine aroma. A bit of sweet bread and tiny bit of booze.

T: On the bitterness scale this is not off the hook, it's quite balanced and that's why I love it. Good malt backbone. Your getting the sweet pale and cara malts and then the rich citrus and hop bite. Not tasting alcohol.

M: Medium body, well carbonated and very smooth. Not sticky. Bitterness is present, it hits, covers up the booze and stays on the palate. I drank this one pretty fast, wish I had more to get saucy on.

O: This beer is great. Drinkable and full of flavor at a good price. I'm a hophead but I lean towards the more balanced IPAs and DIPAs and this is one of those. Think I'll get a six pack.

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Deep amber/red color with a 3-finger white head.

S - Aroma is citrus with a little pine. Has almost a grassy hop aroma.

T - Taste is sweet, bready malt and a piney hop flavor.

M - Mouthfeel is average.

O - Overall, I would say this one of my least favorite IPA’s. A little to much bitterness for the amount of hop flavor and aroma. It also has a lingering piney bitterness that I feel could be better supported by more flavor and aroma hops or more of a malt backbone.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.15 out of 5 with 10,238 ratings