Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Reviews: 3,413 | Ratings: 10,016
4.4/5  rDev +6%

12 oz bottle, 6 packs of this stuff have invaded town, 2005 version

I first had this beer this time last year, the 2004 version. I have longed for it since the day bigfoot came out last winter, marking the end of the celebration.

appearance: pours a pale amber/golden color with a bubbly head and nice lacing. very clear in appearance. and i really do like that label!

smell: smell is quite nice...some fruity citrus hops and some deep caramel malts dominate...hints of nutmeg and other spices, faint molasses

taste: quite glorious...juicy citrus hops throw this into the American IPA category but the sweet caramel malts are the heart of this thing...the balance plays out wonderfully and the flavors of spices are quite a nice compliment as well

mouthfeel: amazingly smooth and creamy, slight hop bittersweet in the aftertaste

drinkability: pretty filling but very easy drinking

I definately prefer this beer at cellar temperature. Sierra Nevada Celebration is still one of my favorite seasonals...I will be drinking plenty of this in the coming months

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I just started drinking craft beers a little over a year ago. I tried this one last year just before the new year and thought it was good but not as amazing as many others were saying. I think I even drank it straight from the bottle the last time I tried it. Now I know better. What a difference a year makes for your palate!
You yank off the cap and your nose detects the mouth watering scents of sharp citrus and pine before you can even put down the bottle opener. Yeah, this is the stuff!
The pour gives way to a burnt orange topped with more than a finger's worth of creamy head. Luscious and tantalizing!
You can see the lacing forming as you take the first drink, your mouth full of piney and citrusy goodness. The carbonation is perfect and the mouthfeel full and creamy. I can't see how an IPA could be crafted any better. Thank god my palate has matured because this is truly divine.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Saw the 2005 Celebration Ale out yesterday at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee. I wasn't sure if I wanted to have it in mid-October so far from the holidays, but what the hell? It's not available year round. The 2004 Celebration Ale was spectacular.

Appearance -- Poured a clear, light orange with an impressive two finger, creamy head. Most of the score is for the head; I personally find an unfiltered IPA to be more visibly appealing. Wet lacing.

Smell -- Nice resinous hop nose. Slight grapefruit. Very faint scent of hay.

Taste -- Bitter hops, but not overwhelming. Kind of tangy. Citrus finish.

Mouthfeel -- Medium feel. Creamy. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability -- Very nice. This is a great holiday ale. You could just as easily enjoy it on a hot summer afternoon. I'm sure I'll be drinking quite a few of these in the next couple of months. Cheers!

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%

This beer in my opinion is a "spiced" winter ale that retains the hoppiness of an IPA or pale ale. It's very lacey if you pour it into a glass, and the spices make it very rich-tasting, yummy. It's filling however, so you won't be able to drink too many after eating a holiday dinner. I tried a similar style locally, last year, at Sly Fox, but I can't remember what it was called.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

This was the 2004 edition. The beer is a slightly hazy amber color with a decent light-tan head. The aroma is nice, although a bit underpowered, with a nice blend of malt, a touch of a grainy complexity that's a little like caramel but not quite, and a spicey hoppy / ester character that is kind of a blend of cinnamon, cherry, and oak aroma (I have no idea where that comes from but it reminds me of that - I'm not suggesting the beer is aged in oak, though!!) The flavor is nice, with maltiness bordering on sweet without being the least big cloying - I don't know how they pull it off but SN always does. There is a bit of hop note as well. PRobably my biggest hit on the beer is that its been topped by other offerings in terms of "bigness", but this remains one of the more drinkable beers in its class and is consistent year-after-year without being boring and predictable.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Amazing that a brewery as big as SN can produce a beer like this. Also amazing that a beer with only 6.8% alcohol can age so well. I did a mini vertical last night of an 03 and an 04 to see what happens to this little guy over the course of a year.

2004:
Nice amber hue. Hops are very up front, lots of aroma. Flavor is dominated by Cascade, but the malt is there. Intensely bitter.

2003:
Holy crap. Is this even the same beer? This one is much more magnificent than its younger brother. Hops have mellowed and taken a step back, and there's some sort of amazing flavor here that i didn't detect in the 04. Very spicy and complex. This is indeed a world class brew. Makes me think that this beer may be one to not even bother with until the next year's batch is released.

I may be drinking 04s in 2006, 05s in 2007 and so on.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

2004 Edition

As I surveyed my refrigerator in search of a libation to celebrate my recent move to New York I was first tempted to imbibe a Dreadnaught or Hercules, but upon further inspection I came across a brew so aptly titled it proved impossible to ignore. Obviously I speak of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

The beer pours a hazy dark amber hue with tiny particles seen floating around. The rich, fluffy off-white head slowly dissipates leaving decent lacing. The piney hop aroma is joined by subtle bready malt notes.

The initial sip yields obvious piney hop flavors that are soon joined by malty sweetness. The hops once again assert themselves, but are soon met by malt to finish off the experience. This is one superbly balanced brew. In both taste and aroma, the alcohol becomes more apparent as the beer warms.

The mouthfeel is slightly heavier than the typical IPA and quite enjoyable.

I feel it is important to note this beer is coming up on a year in age. In that time I believe the hops have become somewhat subdued and the carbination has settled down a tad.

Overall Sierra Nevada has produced a fine brew that many do and should envy. I look forward to the 2005 release.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Served at just below room temperature in a pint glass. Strange that I had a hankering for this beer on a 94 degree summer evening...

A - Very gently hazed, sunset orange and copper color with aggressive carbonation and an airy, fluffy off-white head. Tons of rising bubble action inside the glass. Excellent, resiny head retention that refuses to let go of the glass.

S - Piny floral hoppiness with grapefruit citrus undertones. Well tamed fruitcake spices. Candy maltiness. Quite excellent.

T - Slightly vinous on the tip of the tongue, changing to a pronounced west-coast hoppiness and malty sweetness in the middle. Citrus flavors and alcohol reveal themselves and the beer moves towards the surprisingly sweet finish. Then comes the big hop bite and the bitter aftertaste that makes you reach for another sip to calm the back of the throat and douse the warm alcohol embers.

M - Slippery as it enters the mouth. Slight foaming turns it into a round, liquid sled that pushes right off down your throat without a hitch.

D - Delicious and well crafted. This one is a staple for any hop lover who wants a spicy kick without being hobbled by the bitterness.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a beautiful amber with big frothy white head. Head slowly subsides.

Smells hoppy, which is not such a coincidence, with a bit of citrus and floral aroma thrown in.

Huge taste... lots of hops and a looong dry aftertaste.

Very creamy in the mouth, almost buttery. Coats your tongue completely.

Definitely a beer I drink frequently... no obvious mistakes or wants out of this beer. While I don't find it spectacular, I must say that this is a very very solid brew.... yet another great brew from SN.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Deep orange glowing pour with settling carbonation and tiny miniscule suspended particles floating around, topped off with a pillowy tan foamy head, leaving impressive lace.

Juicy orange citrous scents and some cedar wood notes.

First swigs: Grapefruit slices citrous and dry aftertaste. Nose meets the flavor with woody hints. Malt presence offers a good balance. Acidic yet not overly so.

Generous carbonation with a medium body and feel that lends to an easy Drinkability.

Last swigs: Just a bit less hoppy that the standard SNPA.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

I got a bottle of 2004, as a gift. Thanks LGM.
I saved it till pre-vacation for Sierra Nevada would be along the way. Thisone poured a nice looking amber/copper with a slight haze. The head was almost two-fingers and laced well.
The aroma was pleasing of hop, pine and spice. The taste was complex, but very well done.With a smooth caramel malt and a stronger hop texture, the beer is mixed by a nice alcohol blend that warms the body. The taste also brings pine, spice and fruit.
The mouthfeel is smooth, alcohol warmth with a finish that dries, like grain/husk. Drinkability, oh ya, easy to let its alcohol sneak up.

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Wow! SNPA on steroids.

This flawless IPA has a bewildering array of hop flavors and aromas. It pours a reddish copper with a nice dollop of dense foam. The aroma is fruity with floral and resiny notes, very hoppy. The tate is a {celebration} of hops with a firm juicy malt backdrop.

An initial burst of pithy bitterness gives way to beautiful notes of passionfruit, guava, citrus and mango notes. This fruityness is probably from the yeast and the hops. The finish is very piney and lasts forever. Malt is evident even in the finish, making this a perfectly balanced beer. The mouthfeel is luscious and creamy, with the perfect level of carbonation (minimal). I could drink this beer in place of water.

Sierra Nevada makes such kickass beers, the hype is totally justified. This is probably my favorite IPA.

Worthy of my 250th review.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer is a 2004 I have had cellared since Oct of 2004. I also love this beer fresh. SN nudged me to the hoppier side years ago so I will always have a special place in my heart for their beers.

The beer poured a deep clear copper color with a wonderful rocky off white head that left plenty of lacing as I polished this off. This is a great looking IPA. The nose no longer has the traditional IPA smell. The malt really comes out to the forefront with a subdued hop smell. Also still has that same smell all SN beers seem to have, I guess it is from their yeast strain.

The beer still tastes great but different than fresh. This is much more mellow a beer with a great malt to hop balance. The hops are very present on the front and backend with the malt all in the middle. Very nice lingering bitter on the back of the tongue with a good medium mouth feel.

Luckily I have cellared more to compare later. This is a great drinking beer in its current state so I will have to get busy with the ones I have left!

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

SN Celebration Ale is what finally turned me into a full-fledged hop head and I'm surprised that I've been drinking it for six months and forgot to review it. I've had many, many IPA's since my first Celebration Ale and every bottle I drink (from my quickly dwindling cache) continues to surprise me with just how good a beer can be.

The pour is quite impressive - a medium brown brew with a dirty white head gives some hint that there may be complex roasted caramels in the flavor. The head is thick and sticky and hangs around for a good long time.

The smell is equally inviting - plenty of grassy hops in this brew with an extra dose of grapefruit in case you weren't paying attention. You can also smell a bit of the caramelized sugars which is very reminiscent of golden-brown toast.

The taste - ahhh, the taste.... All the hops that the nose promised with a wonderful malt back to keep things very smooth and well balanced. To start with the malt: certainly caramel flavors, they've roasted that barley good and long to get plenty of burnt sugars. Subtle notes of molasses, bread and grain round out the malt base. Add a bit of fruit notes that you'd find in an amber ale - very subtle hints of peach and apricot compliment the sweet parts of the brew. Then there are the hops, big and bold but not overpowering. Taste-wise the primary note is grapefruit though there is quite a bit of grassy flavor in there as well - you can certainly taste the 'green' in this beer! Minor floral hop notes but only as an afterthought - they're far from the primary flavor.

Mouthfeel is pretty damn good as well - nicely carbonated for lots of fuzz on the tongue. The carbonation also leaves a very nice finish - no heavy aftertastes or oily residue on the palate. This is a medium to light bodied brew; it's more refreshing than weighty.

Drinkability is a solid 5 - there's no debate there. I'm hoarding the last few bottles I've got and slowly doling them out so they'll last me until the next release. Age seems to be quite kind to Celebration Ale - it's getting a bit smoother as time goes on and the hops are a bit less harsh (that or my palate has become more accustomed to a big hop flavor) It feels a bit odd drinking a brew with a snowy winter scene during the summer months but the taste is superb year-round.

[edit 03-15-2006: I want to be clear that I'm reviewing the 2004 SNCA. The 2005, while good, is at best a 4. Less caramel malt presence, more toasted 'burnt' flavor. The hops are more raw and unrefined, age has so far not improved the brew. Here's hoping 2006 is a better year!]

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased from Stong Bros. Liquor, Fayetteville TN. 2004 vintage.

This beer poured a nice dark amber color with good clarity but also a high opacity -- no cloudiness, but I couldn't really see through it. Topping this beer was a nice thick bubble-filled head that quickly halved in size, then stuck around for the rest of the beer. I also like the Holiday Theme on the outside of the bottle -- possibly my favorite of the Sierra Nevadas I've seen.

Smell was decent, with a strong hop presence (normal for an IPA) mixed with a sweet red fruit aroma. A bit overbalanced towards the hops for my taste, but overall a nice aroma that makes me think "IPA" pretty clearly.

Taste is down a notch from that, as the beer's hoppiness really dominates the flavor, to the point at which it's actually overpowering the fruit completely. Especially as the aftertaste hits me, I find this beer so bitter that it's almost difficult to drink. Perhaps this is to-style for an IPA to some degree, but I would prefer that it be a bit more balanced.

Mouthfeel is decent, with a nice foamy body that coats the tongue, but the carbonation and hoppiness actually burn the mouth a tongue a bit, and make it more difficult to get down. Decent, not unpleasant, but not exactly my taste.

Overall drinkability is decent -- I could pound two or three of these if I had them available, but for the $2.25 that I paid for this single, I can do a lot better. The Bridgeport IPA is still my favorite of the style, although I'll keep an eye out for the 2005 so I can try that when it comes out.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

We had this at New Year's, so our season was appropriate for celebration. And after a few of these, the celebration was well-lubricated.

It pours dark amber, a nice shade for the dark winter months. The smell, well, very hoppy and citrus-y. Prepares you well for what's about to happen to your body.

The taste is an onslought of hops, and it fills your entire mouth and nose with the flavor. The hops aren't quite as flavorful as other great IPAs, but you do get the nice flowery scent and wonderfully bitter flavor that will warm you quite nicely.

Tough for a session beer because it's such a heavy and powerful taste. But, luckily, a session with SN Celebration isn't a long one, with its relatively large ABV

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Riding on the heels of recent hop harvests, Sierra Nevada Brewing Company takes advantage with a hop-dominant, yet malty-rich beer that is both hearty enough and zesty enough for a compliment to many winter dishes.

The pour delivers a bright classic amber color with a modest haze. A dance of carbonation fuels a consistent and foamy head that retains as well as beers can and lacing with rings and intermitten patterns throughout. Foam of eggshell color takes on a moussy texture. Could this be the poster child for how IPA's should look? Aside from the richer amber color, I'd say so.

Pungent with citrus and grass, the nose delivers a lush and delicate blend of ruby red grapefruit, pine resin, and floral/flowery notes burried a bit under the malts but come in late in conjunction with sweetly alcohol scent. Spicy and bready, the beer takes on a graham cracker-like aroma that compliment the hops well.

Bread crust flavors of French baguette work with caramel and graham cracker dry/bready yet spicy flavor sets the tone for the malt base, of which provides the springboard for an exquisite display of hop dominance. Sweetness steps aside to allow for sharp, spicy, and vibrant citrus flavor and bitterness delivered by the Cascade hop in such a maner as only Sierra Nevada can deliver. Just shy of sharing the juicy and lush tropical flavors of Centennial, Citra, and Amarillo, this beer's hop profile is nearly ideal. Slightly grassy and vegital because of the leafy residue of whole hop cones, the beer carries a pungent bitterness that compliments the malts as much as it detracts from the crisp hoppiness.

Medium to start, the modestly creamy textures transition to a consistent fade toward a malty/dry mouthfeel just before the finish. Obviously the beer concludes with a long and resiny bitterness with a hoppy dryness that accompanies a minty warming/cooling feel deep into the aftertaste.

A remarkable beer in that it's complex with the malty/hoppy interplay- interesting that such balance and variance in taste can be found in such simple recipe profile. Yet, the beer can be tasted with such ease that it's dangerous at 6.8%. An absolute delight of a beer and a welcome to my drinking rotation each winter.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer poured to a very dark amber. I found this beer to have a very pleasant holiday aroma. This is one hell of a hoppy, fruity beer. Those two main tastes, along with some others, really combine into something very complex. I really couldn't finish too many of these as it is a very heavy, filling beer. Still, a nice treat for the holidays, enjoyed in moderation.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz bottle from somewhere local. 2004 vintage.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1 1/4" light tan head. Beer was clear, dark amber, and laced nicely. Aroma is fruity hops. Taste is also fruity hoppiness, with a reasonable malt backbone, and closes with crisp hop leaves on the tongue. Mouthfeel and drinkability are very good as well. One of the standards for the American IPA style, I believe.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Medium bodied, nice copper/amber color with a creamy off-white head.

Aroma is grapefruit and piney hops.

Taste starts with a touch of malt followed immediately by a burst of tart grapefruit flavor with a pine undertone. A very well hopped ale with a lingering grapefruit aftertaste.

Smooth and easy to drink with just a bit of alcohol warmth. Very nice anytime.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

2004. Pours out a reddish copper, though not nearly as red as it appears on their website. Cream colored head stays intact and laces the glass. Upon first cracking open the bottle, I'm greeted by a spicy hop smell with hints of cinnamon. The beers smell and taste have a distinct grapefruit, resiny pine, and holiday spice character. Malts sit back a bit, but they offer a nice caramel toastyness to the mix. This beer that I'm drinking is probably at least six months old and has had some shift in the flavors. The hops are still there, but have faded as much as 25%. The mouthfeel is about right, perhaps a tad thin. I love this beer fresh and its cult following is well deserved.

I will review next years batch as fresh as possible.

EDIT - Reviewed below, 11/5/2010, new batch

I said that I would review this beer again fresh when given the opportunity, and since I got it before it even hit the sales floor, I would say it's a fresh batch! Beer pours out a copper color with a good inch or so head, smells like pine and some pungent grapefruit, some sweetness from the malt/alcohol in nose. The taste is similar to to smell, but the alcohol sweetness turns into a warming caramel aftertaste that actually balances well with all the hops. Some have said the maltiness in some SN beers can be biscuity, there is a trace of that there too, and a pungent and resinous hops aftetaste from the dry hopping. It would be unfair to judge this beer after it aged because you would lose that extra layer of hops. Anyway, the balance and mouthfeel of the beer is very good for such a hoppy brew. It is quite drinkable in all its glory.

Sooo, few things have changed in five years for this beer, notably its regular year round cousin Torpedo. How does it compare? I don't have one to A/B test right in front of me but I do have to admit this beer isn't quite as lustrous now that I have been enjoying Torpedo fresh lately. I would actually say Torpedo has a bolder hop aroma and an even denser hop flavor. Celebration is more classic California IPA, whereas Torpedo reminds me more of some other IPA from the East Coast, with their tropical tasting hops. Both have a solid maltiness to back it all up and give *some* balance. I would say Celebration is more caramel, Torpedo is more biscuity.

Now, which one do I prefer nowadays? Well, even though I have now reviewed this fresh I can't say I will change any of my rating as they were pretty spot-on. Overall I am lucky that we live in the beer age that we do, and I can get fresh Torpedo anytime at my local grocery store, and still look forward to Celebration in the Winter ;-)

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

2001:

I bought a case of 2001, when I thought I was buying 2004. Doh! This is still an interesting exercise, and I can't say I regret the purchase.

Pours turbid with a thick, off-white, creamy head, that is not very persistent. Some lacing. Color is light amber to dark orange. Clarity is poor. Overall the apperance is, ahem, "chewy."

Aroma is gentle and sweet, like wildflower honey. Some hops is definitely present in the nose, but very mellow. No alcohol in aroma.

Flavor is full and balanced. Highlights of hop bouquet (normally the featured characteristic of this beer) have faded, but this is still very drinkable and very good. No alcohol flavor or warming. Hop flavor still bests malt sweetness by a smidge.

This beer has aged well, but is presumably quite a bit past its prime. My first bottle was in very good condition, with no oxidation or skunking. This reminds me of a very good ESB with American hop character and no mineral harshness.

Carbonation is moderate and mouthfeel is full, but not heavy. Good, moderate hop bitterness that lasts into finish. Very mild astringency becomes apparent in aftertaste.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep amber/gold, with mild carbonation and lots of suspendies. Not overly nosey, mild hoppiness, but oooh boy is it good. Crisp, sharp hops with a really smooth, almost creamy malt body holding it together. Good hop bight, wich accentuates the crispness. An all day drinker, one of the best I have had in a long time. The hops do not have as much of a presence as other IPAs, but the beer is not wanting because of it.

poured a medium copper color with white puffy head that left a slight lacing. the smeel is of hops with a fruity, citrus aftertone.taste is enjoyable with a mixture of hop bitterness and dryness. Good drinkability, I wish I had bought more than one in my mixed six pack

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up a sixer of 2004 from a liquor store trying to get it sold...not a bad buy at 5$!!

Presentation was a 12oz brown shorty bottle with a nice winter scene on the label. Dated 2004.

ABV = 6.8%

Appearance was a medium amber color with a nice bubbly off-white head that left slight lace around the top of the old pint glass.

Aroma was hoppy and full bodied with a few fruity estery type tones.

Mouthfeel was average, with a crisp, medium carbonation reaction on the tongue.

Flavor was a punch in the cascades!, the finish had a little bit of a burnt caramel flavor that melds nicely with the hops.

Overall this was a damn good seasonal IPA that I'll look for next Christmas-time. It was refreshing, crisp and beautifully balanced.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.