Celebration Fresh Hop IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Celebration Fresh Hop IPACelebration Fresh Hop IPA
4.15/5
Exceptional
Celebration Fresh Hop IPACelebration Fresh Hop IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Ratings: 10,383 |  Reviews: 3,514
3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Poured too strong the first time and ended up with a 3 inch head. Grabbed a second bottle and maybe poured a little light, didn't end up with much head, but what was there was nice and sticky with little bubbles coming up to support.

Nice coppery color and strong scent of pine, typical of Sierra Nevada. Not my favorite hop variety, but what is there is very strong in the nose.

Solid flavor that matches the hop aroma, especially on the back end. Much more muted and balanced than I expected, based on the aroma. A hint of secondary bitterness late in the back that I don't care for. Mouth feel is about right for an IPA.

Overall a good beer. I prefer the Stone ales to the Sierra Nevada's given the hops used, but this is one of the better SN offerings I have had.

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

Tis the season can mean a lot of different things to different people, but to me, I think not of candy canes, shopping malls, annoying as shit carols, or eggnog; I now think of Sierra Nevada Celebration.
I poured this one into a Samuel Adams pint glass. The body has a dark rich copper color to it that's topped off with a massive beige pillow of fluffy goodness that sinks some but not much.
The aroma seems dominated by grapefruit, and pine, but lurking not to far behind comes the fruity, caramel sweetness.
The hop bitterness cuts through your tongue and shatters the jaw, then mercifully lays flat a thin layer of sweetness.
The mouthfeel is thin to medium.
Overall this is my favorite seasonal. Another great one from the mighty Sierra Nevada.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz bottle, 2012 vintage. It was poured into my Duvel tulip.

Sierra Nevada Celebration pours a dark amber, with a good bit of clarity to it. Just over two fingers of dirty white foam finish off the look, hanging around for a few minutes before leaving chunks of lacing stuck to the glass. The aroma is predominantly grapefruit in character, but a bit of more piney hops manages to sneak into the nose as well. There's a healthy dollop of caramel and candied sugar right up front, before a bitterness intercedes. My first impression is that it's relatively mild, but it does increase in intensity as it moves towards the back of my palate. The hoppy finish is closer to straight floral grapefruit, but there's still a little bit of pine appreciable. The body definitely isn't on the dry end of the spectrum for an IPA. For a beer that's (hopefully) only going to be consumed in the winter months, I don't mind that as much. The carbonation could stand to "pop" just a little bit more though. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Sierra Nevada Celebration, but I don't quite see what makes some of my beer geek brethren go crazy about it either.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Celebration Fresh Hop IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.15 out of 5 with 10,383 ratings