Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Ratings: 10,227 |  Reviews: 3,468
3.91/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into tulip glass from 12oz bottle.

A-Poured a great deep amber color with a think foamy one inch head. Lacing is really nice with 3/4 of my glass covered.

S-Not the greatest smell in the world. Was really hoping for more here. I do get a faint smell of spice, hard candy,

T- Very smooth and balanced beer. I get a slight taste of spice, but thought by what my friends had said I would get more. I do get a bread after taste more similar to a pale ale. Taste the hops, but really not there. I get more of the malt taste.

M- The mouthful is nice. Very clean. Not too thin, good medium body beer.

O- I guess I was expecting a bit more. I think I will have to update my review after a few more of these. My friends raved so much about this beer, but I guess it is just above average for me. It is very well balanced and easy to drink. I can't really relate to Christmas time with this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 edition purchased from copper vine in Granville.

A - dark amber / copper brown. Huge and creamy off white head that sticks the entire way down.

S - Citrus, piney, malts, faint spices, malty, caramel.

T- This brew is an amazing journey of the taste buds. Big juicey hops, citrus flavor, balanced with a nice sweet and malt flavor and finishes with a semi dry hoppy finish.

O - I had no expectations for this beer as I just bought it as a one off to fill a mixed sixer and all I have to say is WOW. I love when I'm surprised by a beer and this brew blew me away. I'm going to purchase a case amid make this a staple for the holiday season. A must have.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.11/5  rDev -1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at fridge-cellar temperature.

L – Deep amber color with a big 4-finger tan frothy head. Excellent retention and tremendous lacing. Clear with a good amount of bubbles. Sierra Nevada never gets this part wrong.

S – Some caramel malt and lots of hops with grapefruit, pineapple, and mango aromas.

T – Starts off sweet with toasty and caramel malt but rapidly shifts to strong hop bitterness with grapefruit and tropical fruit notes at first and then spicy and piney flavors more towards the finish. For an ordinary IPA (not a DIPA), this is packed with hops, but it becomes more balanced as it warms.

F – Medium-bodied with good carbonation, a sticky and chewy mouthfeel, and a very bitter, spicy, and dry finish. Grapefruit and pine hop bitterness and spice linger very nicely. There’s maybe a little bit of warmth from the alcohol, but that may just be the hop spice.

O – This is a great IPA. You get the same blast of hops that you would get from a DIPA without the ABV. I was expecting this one to be a bit more balanced due to the darker color, but the sweet malts come out more as the beer warms. I’m glad that Sierra Nevada puts out an IPA in the winter time; it’s a nice switch from the much darker and heavier beers that tend to go hand-in-hand with the colder months. This is a very tasty and drinkable brew that has enough hop bite to warm you up.

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%

2012 release. Poured from the bottle into a Delirium Tremens snifter.

A: Pours an orange-honey color with a two finger-width head that lingers; fairly sticky lacing

S: Smell is slightly citrus-y, with a helping of earthy/grassy hops, though the nose is very faint and honestly quite boring.

T: Taste is very mellow with a slight citrus-y character and notes of grassy hops. Finishes slightly bitter with a little maltiness and a nice peppery/spice flavor that lingers on the back of the tongue.

M: Not too thick, and not too thin. The mouthfeel on this beer is great, with the right amount of carbonation and a slight creaminess on the tongue.

O: This is a solid brew, though it doesn't really live up to all the hype that it gets on the site. Its hop profile is pretty bland for an IPA, and the only real saving grace is the nice bitter/peppery finish that lingers in the mouth afterwards. I'll get a few sixers during the holidays, but it's nothing I'd really go out of my way for.

4.94/5  rDev +19%

It is truly a celebration when this beer comes out each year. Very unique in that I've never had an IPA that seems perfectly suited for winter; citrus hops and floral notes, but strong (slightly dark) malt balances it perfectly. Throw in the usual spectacular Sierra Nevada feel and quality, and you've got a one-of-a-kind standout, and a crazy value at the price.

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.19/5  rDev +1%

The first time I had celebration was in a growler. I liked the balance MUCH better that way than from the bottle, but I have this bottle now, so here it goes:

The label claims that this beer is a "fresh hop" IPA with a hint of pine. From the initial smell, the citrus hops are noticeable. In the bottled version, the pine makes all the difference in the taste - think about the character of oak barrel beers. As for the growler, the color and taste is clearer and the sweet malts are much more pronounced. Toward the bottom of the bottle, the hoppy taste is less noticable and the other flavors tend to stick out a bit more.

For an IPA, the mouthfeel is average, but that's not a bad thing. It is true to the style.

The taste is complex enough to try this time of year. I'd recommend getting it on tap somewhere; but if you like IPAs, the bottle is just fine. In this price range, Sierra Nevada is hard to beat.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.