Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Ratings: 10,228 |  Reviews: 3,468
3.86/5  rDev -7%

2012 bottle poured into snifter at around 40degrees

Look: pretty nice orange hue, not alot of head which was suprising, standard ipa look

Smell: alot of citrus and sweetness with some nice pine, one of the better fresh hop beers I have smelled. maybe a little carmel in there as well

Taste: pine and bitterness up front with the citrus to follow, pretty sweet tasting ipa, reminds me of torpedo but a little less piney/hoppy, pretty balanaced

Mouthfeel: a little thin but nice carbonation, standard ipa feel

Overall: I think I like this a little more then torpedo, wish it was a year round beer.

3.21/5  rDev -22.7%

On tap at Keystone in Whitehall, PA

A: Nice amber color with a thick head which helped to develop the lacing throughout the beer.

S: My nose was filled with malt, not hops which was a bit surprising after reading reviews that labeled this beer a hopheads delight.

M: The feel of this beer was rather full, led by that more malty than hoppy character which I really didn't expect.

T: The taste was similar to the smell, earthy malt and earthy hops. Not what I thought it would be, but not fully disappointing.

O: Don't think I'll be going back to this one and possibly not back to any Sierra Nevada IPAs again. In my opinion, each has been overrated for my taste. I consider myself to be quite the hophead and I have been let down by this beer as well as the Torpedo in the past. From the reviews I thought I'd love this beer. From my personal taste, it wasn't what I'd hoped. Their pale ale is fine, but I've come to question if their reputation is taking precedence over people's taste buds.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.11/5  rDev -1%

***2012 Vintage***

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, bottled Oct. 11, 2012 (lot 2285218:17).

Appearance: Half the glass is filled with a light beige foam that isn't cumbersome. Top is pockmarked, lacing all around (sometimes chunks of it). Body is a light orange. Simply gorgeous.

Smell: Hint of pineapple, sweet hops, pine, orange, very good aroma.

Taste: Pine cones, sweetish grapefruit, high on citrus fruit, good back and forth with the malt & hops.

Mouthfeel: Body is focused, uncluttered, simple yet strong, bitter yet not abrasively so.

Overall: Elegant in its simplicity. A must!

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Didn't blow me away like it did others. Pours a nice copper brown with one of the thickest heads I've seen personally, and fairly impressive lacing. At first it was seriously bitter with a lot of flavors swirling around in the background. The most prominent to me was a pine flavor with a hint of grapefruit and a metallic aftertaste. I let it sit for a few minutes and tried it again, which resulted in more grapefruit and less bitter pine taste, so I'm thinking I may have tried it too cold. Overall a good beer.

3.84/5  rDev -7.5%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Thank God Sierra still doesn't feel the need to make Celebration a crowd pleaser. Instead the 2012 is a hophead's delight, with significant bitterness and a chewy mouthfeel that will be rough on some palates. Make no mistake even though Sierra has gone global, Celebration is a true-to-form, classic west coast ipa. More robust and flavorful than this fall's Northern Hemisphere beer. Excellent!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.