Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Liked This Beer
4.15 w/ 10,234 Ratings
Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Liked:
4.15/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 10,234 |  Reviews: 3,468
4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance - Poured into my vintage PBR goblet, deep amber with one finger of off white head. Head retention is decent lacing is excellent

Smell - WOW! The smell! Fresh piney hops, there is a trace of other hops smell, and a bit of malt in the backgound.

Taste - Piney hops up front and a subtle malt with a bready underpinning, this is one nice IPA. Let it warm up closer to room temp, the flavor improves.

Mouthfeel - Decnt mouthfeel not overly slick or thin, and a clean bitter finish. The correct carbonation for an IPA.

Overall - A solid IPA from SN, with a generous amount of alcohol and hops. It is what a good IPA should be, I'll pick this one up again.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Ah, what a delightful winter Christmas ale!

Pours a light brown, dark orange color with ample amount of frothy head. Smell is hoppy on the nose.

Taste is where this becomes a classic. Wonderful bountiful hops mixed with some spice, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Great "IPA" that has those winter ale contexts but without the overwhelming spice.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours with a creamy white head that gets pretty large with an aggressive pour.

Darker for an IPA, really nice appearance. Almost has a slight reddish hue. Smell is piney and has the slightest hint of some spices or something that makes me think of this normally great year round style as a winter beer. The taste is piney hops with a little citrus and some malt on the back. See a lot of reviews saying citrus hops dominate, but I certainly wouldn't say that compared to citrusy IPAs like Two Hearted. Pretty carbonated, but I don't dock anything for this. I think it needs that. Overall a great beer for me and I wish I would've gotten more than a six pack.

4.11/5  rDev -1%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass. Dark amber in color. One finger of pale head that lingers. Looks nice. Tasty.

Smells hoppy, fruity. But not overly strong.

Light carbonation, crisp. Goes down smooth and refreshing. Taste is citrusy and hoppy.

Overall a really nice, tight, crsip winter seasonal IPA from Sierra Nevada.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Draft

Appearance - Clear amber/light-copper colour with a large size fizzy/frothy off-white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for 7 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel and some hops. There also seems to be a bit of a cherry or almond flavour that I don't remember from the 2010 version.. It ends with a malty sweet fruity aftertaste with a nice dose of hop bitterness.

Overall - Fantastic amount of fresh hop bitterness.. I always look forward to when this beer comes out. It doesn't have a whole lot of citrus fruit flavour that is common in the IPAs that I enjoy, but it makes up for it in delicious malts and fresh hop flavour.

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep honey amber with a slightly off-white head. Nice lacing.
Sweet tropical fruit hop aroma. A little malt in the back, lots of citrus hop.
The flavor is very hoppy, pretty dry but with a very light sweetness in the back.
Nice medium body with dry, hoppy finish. It makes you thirsty for more.
Overall a very nice beer, I will be getting more for my holiday party this Saturday!

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle into a large wine glass.

A: Rusty orange. Minimal cream-colored head on my pour. Minimal lacing.

S: Certainly intense hops up front in the nose. There is a lot of complexity though. Some caramel smoked malts. I believe I get some fruity sweetness too--I'm not great at this but I'd say perhaps citrus and strawberry.

T: Bitter hops very well balanced with sweet malt. The end of the taste is just slightly acidic--maybe reflecting the fruit in the nose, but then immediately becomes a refeshing bitterness.

M: Very smooth. Minimal carbonation. Minimal alcohol.

O: A fantastic ale. Truly a pleasure. Refreshing and well-balanced. Although this is characterized as an IPA I have heard of people aging it. I think I'll hold on to a few bottles of this 2011 vintage to see how she stands up.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the beers that got me into craft beer. Finally taking the time to review.

A - Pours a clear copper color with one and a half fingers of tan head. Head has great retention. The entire glass is covered wit lacing by the time this is done. Doesn't get much better.

S - Big pine aroma with a nice amount of pineapple and a touch of caramel and toasted malts.

T - Nice punch of hops up front. Lots of pine and earthy hops. Just enough of a malt presence to add some depth, this caramel, bread and toasted malts all coming through. Despite the malt, this is a great hop-forward taste that has nice bitterness, but is not one dimensional in the slightest.

M - Medium mouthfeel with a nice dry bitter finish. Nice carbonation as well.

O - All these years later, it is still obvious why this is one of the beers that got me into craft beers. Just an excellent beer all-around.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Tried in a growler a few weeks back but it was kinda flat so I had to give this another try in bottles.

A-Nice light copper color with a thick 3 finger head that hung around the whole time. Ton of lacing that held onto the glass. Very visually appealing.

S- Large fruity hop smell up front. I see a lot of other reviewers describe it as piney? I'm still trying to distinguish piney smells in hops. Either way, you can tell this is gonna be a hoppy one.

T- The hops hit you up front as most IPAs do. I'm picking up lots of citrus flavor that attack the tongue. Very tasty caramel malts to balance it out.

M- I struggle with reviewing mouthfeel, but this one stands out. Because of the thick head that remained throughout, this had a great creamy mouthfeel on the way down.

O- Very tasty beer. Above average IPA for sure, I'm just trying to figure out where all the hype has come from. Personally I prefer Torpedo but maybe it's the limited availability that has everyone worked up.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 88.8% out of 100 with 10,234 ratings