Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale
4.15/5
Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Ratings: 10,238 |  Reviews: 3,468

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from bottle dated Sept 29, 2011 (date code), Beer temp 46 degrees F

Poured a 1/2" head with good lacing on pint glass.

Appearance: bronze amber, slightly hazy

Aroma: citrus and herbal hops, some piney grapefruit to my nose

Taste: excellent bitter bite of hops, with an excessive edge on hops vs. malt... typical. The grapefruit I smelled, made it to my tongue, as well. Man, this is a fantastic beer.

If I could make it stay fresh until summer, I would certainly enjoy it then, too. I may cellar a bottle to see what it tastes like in July.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Fairly fresh 10/4/11 bottle poured into a tulip. Auburn with a slight haze under a white puffy head. Strong aroma led by citrus and pine along with some hop resin and caramel malts. I can tell this isn't a "bright" IPA as I get more pine than floral. Fresh hops give a strong punch of bitterness to the taste buds, but sweetness does come around from the caramel malts. No problem with abv although the hops are enough to burn me out- I couldn't drink this all night.

This isn't a traditional winter beer, but it makes a lot of sense to sell a harvest ale in November. It's always been one of my favorites, and there is a warm & fuzzy feeling when I see these bottles in the stores or in my fridge.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a shaker pint.

A: Clear copper body topped by nearly an inch of extremely dense, creamy off-white head. Terrific retention and nigh-solid lace. Beautiful.

S: Simple and pure: piney hops on top of caramel malt. Solid.

T: Spicy, piney hops jump out at first, balanced nicely by a solid dose of caramel malt. Long, bitter finish that preserves a faint hint of maltiness. Big and balanced, without being too sweet. Terrific IPA.

M: Medium body, high carbonation – too high, as it starts out painfully prickly before settling into a smoother frothiness.

O: Great, reliable beer. I look forward to it every year, and expect to drink a ton of it as the winter sets in. It’s just plain tasty. I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to get around to reviewing it.

Cheers!

Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy, amber in color, pours 2 inches of off-white head that fades slowly. Moderate lacing.

Smell: Citrus, hoppy, pine resin, malt, caramel.

Taste: Pine resin, citrus, hoppy, caramel malt, biscuit, grapefruit. Hop forward, malty towards the middle, and a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full bodied, creamy, moderate carbonation.

Overall: A tasty fresh hop IPA. Not what I think of when I think of holiday beers, but nonetheless, a good, drinkable beer.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.15 out of 5 with 10,238 ratings