Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPATropical Torpedo Tropical IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Added by kell50 on 10-05-2016

3.9

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev 0%

4.14/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours the color of straw. Huge foamy head, settling down to one finger. Nice lacing.

Smells great! Of seductive, sour citrus, grapefruit.

A delicious, creamy sea breeze battle, fought between chaotic herbal candy and malty fruits.

Our drowning taste buds grow stronger!

Makes me wish I had a Hawaiian shirt!

4.14/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My unplanned SN horizontal reaches its conclusion with this beer as its ultimate. I had a few SNs in The Bottle Backlog at Chez Woody, but when I scored an Around the World 12-pack, I dove right in! If this beer has even a modicum of the intrigue of those beers, I will be in 7th heaven!

From the bottle: "Inspired by island life, we created an IPA completely disconnected from the mainland. We used our one-of-a-kind Hop Torpedo to deliver an intense rush of hop flavor and the lush aromas of mango, papaya, and passionfruit with every sip. Enjoy our tropical twist on the American IPA."

I am a self-avowed, self-described hophead & when SN first came out with Torpedo, I was elated. Then, they deigned to put Torpedo in a CAN & I was ecstatic. Now, they have allowed Torpedo to go Tropical and I am slavering in anticipation. I raise a toast to both Roy Lichtenstein & his painting, "Torpedo! Los!" & to Torpedoman First Class (TM1) Ben Priester, one of the best motorcyclists that I have ever known.

A Pop! of the cap, a gentle pour into an awaiting glass, a vigorous in-glass swirl & I was off to the tropics! A stirring rendition of the soundtrack to "South Pacific" & I had three fingers of dense, foamy, tawny head that showed remarkable retention in the heat & humidity of the day. Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like an FF&V (fresh fruits & vegetables) onload in the P.I. & Australia! Mangoes, papayas, pineapples and guavas. I had a girlfriend who, with Mama-san's help, made a Carmen Miranda-like costume out of fresh fruit for one of our hammock-oriented get-togethers. What a sticky mess, but good for us since no cases of scurvy or other unwanted sailor's diseases were reported! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like taking a roll of Tropical Fruit Life Savers when I was a kid & popping one of each in my mouth & letting them dissolve. Well, not exactly, since grapefruit was not one of their flavors, but it definitely was here. Phew. Yeah, this will steer my hophead self in the right direction & get me where I am going! I am probably going straight to H-E-double toothpicks, but I'd like to get on a world cruise. I'd like to transit the Panama Canal, head down to Australia, come up on their western side & hit some places in the western Pacific & the I.O. That's what I'd like to do, but I will have to be satiated with drinking beer in my kitchen for the time being. C'est un vie du chien! Yo, dog, I dig the semi-dry finish on this beer, with the tropical fruit flavors offsetting the intense bitterness of the regular hops in this brew. Send me another one, willya?

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a really good beer. Such a strong smell, in a good way. Lots of citrus taste up front. Bitterness and sweetness is perfectly balanced, and the feel is super smooth. It would be easy to drink a lot of these.

3.19/5  rDev -18.2%

Bottled on 2/27/17, poured to yeti on 6/17/17.
Aggressive pour equals huge billowy head.
Typical Sierra Nevada yeasty, bitter hoppy aroma, mildly tropical with a touch of dank.
Medium to light mouthfeel.
Pretty mild mannered all around. Not really tropical IMO. Not bad but not special. Saw another review compare this to Creature Comforts Tropicalia and I was really hoping for it but couldn't find it.

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color. A dense two finger white head forms with excellent retention and spiderweb looking lace left all the way down the glass.
S: Ripe passion fruit in the nose. Pineapple, with a bit of resin/honey like sweetness. Melon aromas and light lingering bitterness. Really enjoyable, and have always enjoyed how much ripe fruit I get from the nose with no actual fruit additives.
T: Again, ripe passion fruit, pineapple, and melon flavors. A touch resin like, with honey and a little caramel malt. Finishes with just enough bitterness lingering.
M/O: A medium to full body. Good, crisp carbonation that is smooth. It could a tad dryer for my liking, but maybe that comes for the fruity like flavors.. Really enjoyable to drink. Something I have kept coming back to since this was released.

I am surprised that I have not reviewed this already, for as much as I have liked and had this recently. A really enjoyable IPA, and with no actual fruit additions I am impressed with how much the passion fruit character comes through. Still with balance and a nice finish. Well done, and something I will keep on coming back to.

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

3.99/5  rDev +2.3%

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "PKGD date" 2-1-17"

APPEARANCE; pours a clear golden honey color with one-finger white head, excellent retention, slowly dissipated until a half finger head remained throughout, significant lacing, highly carbonated.

SMELL: faint to the nose, bread and pineapple citrus.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet pineapple citrus and bread then a mild pine note, this is a subdued IPA, the 6.7% ABV is well disguised.

PALATE: medium body and highly carbonated.

OVERALL: this is a really tasty IPA and the more subtle hop profile does not burn out your palate so you can have more than one, there are probably tastier beers to be had in this style but this one is decent.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz bottle. 4/11/17 bottle date. Appearance: Light golden, clear, and a thick off white head and decent lacing. Aroma: Fruit forward with pineapple and mango with a light grassy pine that pops up as well. A touch of caramel maltiness as well. Taste: Moderate bready and caramel malt sweetness, with a juicy citrus note that turns to a sharp grassy, herbal bitterness that builds and finishes very strong. Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate to high carbonation Finish: Dry and aggressively bitter. Only a light touch of citrus remains against the grassy bitterness. Overall: Very crisp, clean IPA with a nice touch of mango and pineapple aromas. Aggressively bitter with strong grass and herbal notes, but well balanced against the maltiness.

4.04/5  rDev +3.6%

4.29/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.