Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPATropical Torpedo Tropical IPA
Very Good
Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPATropical Torpedo Tropical IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Style: American IPA

Added by kell50 on 10-05-2016

Reviews by HalfFull:
3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Single bottle poured into a large wine glass. This Tropical pours fairly clear with just a light chill haze. Offering a finger of porous foam which lingers well and leaves spotty lacing.

Dank hop aromas dominate the smell profile, with some fruit notes muddled in to the mix. Taste brinngs forth some unexpected, from the aroma anyway, tropical fruit notes. Still this remains a beefy vs fruit juice version of an IPA and that is good with me. Offers a moderate and balanced bitterness on the finish.

Warming does lighten the load in a sense here, making this a less bitter and more fruity but still danky version of the regular Torpedo. And unlike the soft bellied Sidecar Pale I do find fondness with this offering from the Chico meisters.

4.48/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours the color of straw. Huge foamy head, settling down to one finger. Nice lacing.

Smells great! Of seductive, sour citrus, grapefruit.

A delicious, creamy sea breeze battle, fought between chaotic herbal candy and malty fruits.

Our drowning taste buds grow stronger!

Makes me wish I had a Hawaiian shirt!

4.01/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Straight pour from a pry-off 12oz bottle to an oversized wineglass (JK stemware, of couuuuuuurse). This was bottled on December 20, 2016, according to a bottling date printed in white ink at the top of the back label (“PKGD 12/20/16 1840”), which would make this beer three weeks old today.

Appearance (4.5): Three full fingers of custard-colored foam rise off of the pour, slowly bubbling away on top of a clear, honey-amber body with bright orange highlights. This is nearly perfect, when you conjure up an image of “West Coast” IPAs. The head dies slowly, leaving a rocky cap of whipped foam that turns into a chunky collar that looks like the edge of a pancake all around the edge of the glass. Plenty of foamy lacing coating the far side of the glass.

Smell (4.0): Super-bright, peak ripeness pineapple flesh and red grapefruit with slightly underripe mango, dried chunks of papaya, and apricot. Lighter, bracing, pithy citrus and dry, bready malt evoking pain de campagne or some other rustic country bread and fresh-cracked grains contribute some depth to the nose. It’s very much on point for an American IPA, but it’s not taking any risks in the way of bombastic, unfiltered dry-hopping that might crank the aroma up into the sky.

Taste (3.75): Holy crap, this definitely harkens back to the classic West Coast style: this beer is exuberantly bitter, with bracing, somewhat astringent citrus zest mixed with piney, resinous tones on the palate. That said, some funky, musky undertones with herbal and actually quite spicy character color the mid-palate, riding on the coattails astringent citrus zest. This is an assertive IPA. It seems that the “lush,” tropical fruit-oriented character mentioned on the label is restricted to the nose. The malt body, meanwhile, is easy to overlook at first due to the level of bitterness here, but it’s definitely there. It’s nice and toasty, with dry, multigrain bread and very light toffee—it’s toasted. It’s quite nice, really, and shows once again that Sierra Nevada isn’t going to make a beer that forsakes detail and quality in any one department. That said, the hop flavor is somewhat unexpected (but still very good), and surprisingly bitter. It’s much earthier and spicier than I anticipated.

Mouthfeel (4.75): The body feels just on the full- side of medium-weight, slick and creamy, but still grainy and dry. Meanwhile, the carbonation is fine, foamy, and perfectly distributed, coating all surfaces before fizzling away with a spicy, dry foaming action. The hops do quite a bit, in concert with the fine carbonation, to dry out the already dry body quite a bit. Full enough to satisfy, dry and spicy enough to ask for the next sip immediately.

Overall (4.0): Kudos to Sierra Nevada for making a beer that, as usual, flaunts their mastery of fundamentals. I’m sure that they hit whatever target they had their eyes on—I’m just not crazy about the target. Don’t get me wrong, this beer is very, very good. I just wish it were more tropical and punchy rather than spicy and resinous. There’s definitely a time and place for the latter in my fridge, but with dry, grainy body really helps to hit the nail on the head in the spicy, earthy department. But, like I said, Sierra Nevada’s technical mastery shines here, as usual, and in this case it really pulls this beer together. Glad I tried it, but given the depth of quality (D)IPAs in the market right now, I will probably pick up something else next time.

4.14/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My unplanned SN horizontal reaches its conclusion with this beer as its ultimate. I had a few SNs in The Bottle Backlog at Chez Woody, but when I scored an Around the World 12-pack, I dove right in! If this beer has even a modicum of the intrigue of those beers, I will be in 7th heaven!

From the bottle: "Inspired by island life, we created an IPA completely disconnected from the mainland. We used our one-of-a-kind Hop Torpedo to deliver an intense rush of hop flavor and the lush aromas of mango, papaya, and passionfruit with every sip. Enjoy our tropical twist on the American IPA."

I am a self-avowed, self-described hophead & when SN first came out with Torpedo, I was elated. Then, they deigned to put Torpedo in a CAN & I was ecstatic. Now, they have allowed Torpedo to go Tropical and I am slavering in anticipation. I raise a toast to both Roy Lichtenstein & his painting, "Torpedo! Los!" & to Torpedoman First Class (TM1) Ben Priester, one of the best motorcyclists that I have ever known.

A Pop! of the cap, a gentle pour into an awaiting glass, a vigorous in-glass swirl & I was off to the tropics! A stirring rendition of the soundtrack to "South Pacific" & I had three fingers of dense, foamy, tawny head that showed remarkable retention in the heat & humidity of the day. Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like an FF&V (fresh fruits & vegetables) onload in the P.I. & Australia! Mangoes, papayas, pineapples and guavas. I had a girlfriend who, with Mama-san's help, made a Carmen Miranda-like costume out of fresh fruit for one of our hammock-oriented get-togethers. What a sticky mess, but good for us since no cases of scurvy or other unwanted sailor's diseases were reported! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like taking a roll of Tropical Fruit Life Savers when I was a kid & popping one of each in my mouth & letting them dissolve. Well, not exactly, since grapefruit was not one of their flavors, but it definitely was here. Phew. Yeah, this will steer my hophead self in the right direction & get me where I am going! I am probably going straight to H-E-double toothpicks, but I'd like to get on a world cruise. I'd like to transit the Panama Canal, head down to Australia, come up on their western side & hit some places in the western Pacific & the I.O. That's what I'd like to do, but I will have to be satiated with drinking beer in my kitchen for the time being. C'est un vie du chien! Yo, dog, I dig the semi-dry finish on this beer, with the tropical fruit flavors offsetting the intense bitterness of the regular hops in this brew. Send me another one, willya?

Someone must have been listening to me since I recently scored a CAN for The CANQuest (tm)! Today is Sunday, 28 January 2018.

From the CAN: "Family owned, operated & argued over".

I Crack!ed the CAN open, but after several inverted Glugs yesterday, I decided to revert back to a nice gentle Glug for this one. It worked out as unbidden, it formed a finger of dense, foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was a solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was just like the "Commercial Description" mentioned: "lush aromas of mango, papaya, and passionfruit". The only problem, as I have realized since my initial bottle review, is that it does NOT fit the specs for the style! I am leaving my original bottle scores in place, but there really needs to be a separate Tropical IPA category for these types of beers. Onward! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but certainly big for an AIPA. It was very tropical fruity & I stand by my original reminiscence of Tropical Fruit Life Savers. Man, I miss them & Clove, both of which existed when I was a kid. I rarely eat CANdy, but I could see getting rolls of each if they returned. Oh well. Sigh. I really like the tropical fruitiness that these hops impart, but at the same time, I miss the bitterness, which is what I really like about the style. Finish was sweet & fruity, which was nice, but where are my IBUs?!?

Bottle vs. CAN: I was ebullient about the bottle, but my stance has clearly changed in six months. On the other hand, the CANned packaging makes it VERY attractive. I know that I would prefer to get it in the CAN.

3.89/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottling date of 12/29/16

Appearance - Pours relatively clear and golden in color with a white, finger width head. Decent retention, resulting in a somewhat barren surface and a thin ring around the edge of the glass. Good lacing, mostly made up of a thin sheet that warps around the glass and breaks down into lines and spotting as it gets closer to the surface.

Smell - Moderate aroma, hitting lightly on notes of citrus, papaya, passionfruit, spice, pine and a hint of breadiness.

Taste - Follows the nose. Hops hit first, with notes of orange, passionfruit, papaya, pine and spice. Solid toasty, biscuity malt base. Finish comes quickly, with lingering citrus pith overshadowing the bready sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Slick texture makes this an easy drinker, with a crisp, semi-dry finish.

Overall - Drinks about as expected. Has that base Sierra flavor that sits beneath the modest tropical notes. It's a good beer, but with the number of amazing tropical flavored IPA's being offered on today's market, this one does nothing to stand out.

3.14/5  rDev -18.9%

12oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 2.09. Bottled 12/14/16. Served in a Wicked Weed snifter.

Pours a clear, bright golden hue with just over a finger of white head. A thin, consistent layer lingers and a narrow band leaves abundant lacing. Almost textbook, this is a mighty fine looking brew.

Smells a lot like that familiar Chico yeast accompanied by some vague citrus, stone fruit and grass.

Tastes of citrus peel, pine, yeast, grass and hints of tropical fruit. To my palate, that Chico house yeast dominates this IPA much like so many of Sierra Nevada's other beers.

Medium feel with plenty of carbonation. Tropical fruits finally start peeking through in the finish but that familiar Sierra Nevada IPA flavor remains predominant.

No real surprise but I found Tropical Torpedo to be incredibly similar to Sierra Nevada's other hoppy beers. I know that I'm in the minority but the Chico yeast is just too prominent for my tastes. I did appreciate the tropical tang towards the back end of this but ultimately there are other fruity IPAs that I prefer.

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours an orange yellow color with about a finger of white head. Smells of citrus. Tastes of citrus, mostly grapefruit, and a lighter malt body. Body is medium light. Easy drinking IPA, slightly sweet, slightly bitter, very palatable. Not too far off from the original beer.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a really good beer. Such a strong smell, in a good way. Lots of citrus taste up front. Bitterness and sweetness is perfectly balanced, and the feel is super smooth. It would be easy to drink a lot of these.

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not usually a fan of IPAs, but there's a certain fruity taste that comes through thats just enough to get me to enjoy the hop flavor. Nice balance there, would definitely buy again and probably will soon.
L - Nice orange color, good bit of lacing
S - Tropical fruits and hops, as you should expect
T - See above
F - Bit of carbonation, medium body

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

Sierra Nevada means I have high expectations. Purchased in a mix and match 6 pack at Ingle's in Loganville.

Pours a crystal clear, lightly tinted amber with a nearly pure white head that has very good retention that eventually reduces to a thin skin and decent side glass lace.
AROMA: Hops are most notable, with the citrus mango most prominent. Also get some pine nuts and some bread malts.
TASTE: Well balanced as the hops are moderate with the bread malts.
Creamy, malty on the tongue.
Drying tart citrus at the finish.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Look. in a word, forgettable. Like every other pineapple, tropical beer I've ever had. Dont know why keep trying them, because they all fucking stink. And I love pineapple, just not in my beer. thankfully I only paid $1 for this, get a single not a six. Save your hard earned money.

What do you want to know? Appearance? Horrible, I'd give it an zero if I could. Smell? YES. the only good part. Taste? Meh, pineapple, melon, etc, someone said grapefruit are you kidding me? have you ever eaten an grapefruit? if only this was that bitter. Mouthfeel? Non existent. Overall? why bother?

Yes I review beer for what it is, not what it pretends to be, This fucking beer stinks, yes I've said that alot this year (2016) it seems. Because it's true ...

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light gold with normal carbonation. Aroma is very prominent and smells almost candy like, lots of unique fruit stuff going on there. Taste is much of the same with a little malt to back things up. Very balanced as far as IPA's go, not too bitter and not just hop juice. The hop flavor is actually a bit restrained compared to others but sometime subtlety is a good thing even in a hop driven beer.

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle dated 12/29/16.

Pours light gold with a faint haze and typically nice retention and lacing for a Sierra Nevada. Aromatics are surprisingly NOT tropical or juicy. Grapefruit pith with some skunky, catty overtones. Medium bodied and crisp. Grassy, zesty, peppery hops on the palate with a firm bitterness and zero malt, The classic gypsum-like mineral character found in most SN hoppy offerings is very prominent and lends a British nod. Finishes with a lingering, drying bitterness.

This is a decent beer but certainly not tropical or juicy. It's like they put the wrong beer in the bottle.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2-26-17 (12oz, Long Beach) Heard great things about this beer but after getting through half a beer I could detect an aftertaste that wasn't entirely pleasant to my tastes. Initially, the nose was tough to discern, as it was faintly danky and kinda phenolic (not necessarily in a bad way). The body and carbonation where there, but I just couldn't give this one a thumbs up. Maybe an off batch? 2.75

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

If someone has an official rating rubric to pass along, I will gladly take a look. Until then, my ratings will inevitably be influenced by price and availability. This is a just a great IPA. I think that people are hoping for a NE IPA here which is maybe a fault of SN for it's labeling during the popularity of this IPA sub-category. I think if you take away any presupposition of the word "tropical" you are left with a fantastic IPA. It is bright and fruity, with hints of mango and pineapple, yet it also has that classic west coast pine and dry finish. Very enjoyable stuff!

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.87/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev +4.9%

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

2.8/5  rDev -27.6%

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Gold color, small white head. Just a little bit of lace.
Tropical fruit aroma.
Mango and pineapple taste. Piney hops.
A little too sweet for me. The hops were overwhelmed by the sweetness.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours clear golden orange with a huge frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass some.

The aroma is cracker malt with sweet fruit and peppery, resiny, slightly metallic, hops.

The flavor is sweet bready malt with tropical fruit and peppery, resiny hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a nice fruity resiny IPA.

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Tropical Torpedo Tropical IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.