Bigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Bigfoot Barleywine-Style AleBigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale
88%
Liked This Beer
4.14 w/ 7,514 ratings
Bigfoot Barleywine-Style AleBigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by kbub6f on 02-06-1998

Liked:
4.14/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 7,514 |  Reviews: 3,063

It took a bite out of my taste buds the first time I sipped this exceptional barley wine. Felt like a long roast in my mouth.

A - A very solid looking finger and a half of orangish-tan cream rises above a deep crimson blood-red amber brew that lets only a little light through. An enormous amount of gorgeous dry lace sticks to the glass, and the lace shows some flecks of orange too. Ok, it came to me...the head and lace are the color of the inside of the orange rind! Swirling deposits a huge amount of perfectly arced lace around the glass, and builds the head up to a full finger and a half again. The head shows outstanding retention for such a high ABV beer.

S - I could smell the mandarin orange hops before I put my nose in the glass, and that aroma only intensifies with my schnoz fully inserted cheek-deep into the glass. Has a lot of DIPA aromas, but with a dirtier malt aspect. Big sweet juicy mandarin oranges....real, not canned. Some piny aspects show the SN DNA, but this is all about hoppy sweet-citrus fruit aromas. I also smell some round sour cream notes that remind me of Orval. The malts are all fresh sweet bread with peanut butter and light caramel notes too. As it warms I get some dark fruits too, and it also becomes much more complex and boozy with warmth. I could sniff this all day. This has single malt quality aromatics.

T - Oh! There's the complexity I was looking for! Dirty, earthy, gritty, tobacco, and scotch malt grabs my attention straight away, then dark fruit and caramel in the mid-palate. Lots of hoppy citrus overlays the darker fruits, but doesn't distract from them. It's almost like singing row-row-row-your-boat and then somebody else starts singing brother-john-brother-john before you've finished...it's that complex! I also taste hints of sourdough bread, pumpernickel, sunflower seeds, pine sap, junipery gin and tonic quinine notes, and loads and loads of sweet and bitter citrus and pine (leaning towards the citrus in the beginning and leaning toward pine in the finish). There is a distinct black licorice anise twinge right before the swallow that I didn't notice at first. This is one of the most well put together beers I've ever tasted. Outstanding!

M - Big, fat, plump, full, rich, silky, and boozy. This is one of the fullest mouthfeels I've ever experienced! I can feel sugar, alcohol, and hop oils covering my mouth. The dry bitter and acrid finish reminds me of one of my favorite non-beer drinks....the dry gin martini, but it also has a lot of scotch-like qualities (scotch is another passion of mine...but I really can't afford to drink it with any regularity). This is really, really pleasant, and is pretty much the definition of full-bodied.

D - Screw the 9.6% ABV! I could drink this all day (slowly, and with plenty of water). Outstandingly complex flavors shine like a star, but the nose doesn't really advertise the greatness. A bit more pungency in the nostrils would garner this a perfect 5.0 from this fella.

Just opened a 2006 bottle (this being 2014, that makes it a little more than 8 years old.) I took notes on the first bottle of this I opened in 2006, and thought it was a lesser year; it was very astringent and overly dry. Those 8 years really added some character. Dang, the caramel flavors are much more pronounced, and the astringent flavors are all completely gone. I am so glad I didn't plow through this case and have about 9 left. I have a 2004 that was still good, but probably not as good as the previous year's tasting, so I am guessing around 8 years in the cellar is the optimal aging time for this barleywine. Your mileage may vary.

2004 vintage. A perfect beer.

Deep amber-copper hued beer, with a nice, sustaining off-white head.

Raisins, sea air and soy in the smell. Sweet, yet not cloying. Very clean.

Slightly sweet rock candy up front. By mid-tongue the hops catch up. Raspy bitterness lingers on the back of the tongue. Much less green than the last time I had it. Light roast lingers with hops and shoots out the nose.

Rounded, almost creamy mouthfeel with ample bitterness, this is a very quaffable brew.

Bigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 88% out of 100 with 7,514 ratings