Bigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Bigfoot Barleywine-Style AleBigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by kbub6f on 02-06-1998

Ratings: 7,501 |  Reviews: 3,058

I first had this brew 3 years ago before legal in AL. Drove to Ga @ bought a six. Kept the last bottle around 6 months or longer just because. Found it today in AL & bought all they had - 2 cases. This defines beer. I am an IPA guy & a hophead but like this even more. It defines what is good about beer. My favorite beer in the worl is Sweetwater IPA but I hve been flirting. This brew can make me unfaithful - to IPA!!!

Prior to drinking, I aged this beauty for 4 months in my pantry. Served in a brandy snifter at about 50-55 degrees.

Appearance: Absolute gorgeous amber cognac like color. Two fingers of head that dissipates into some thin lacing.

Smell: Very spicy, jalapeno pepper like, Plums, English toffee, western hops, touch of vanilla, cognac, Scotch like alcohol.

Taste: Big hops, plums/apricots, more milky toffee, touch of pepper, touch of cream. I even get a cognac like note. While it smelled like an imperial IPA, I felt that the hops and alcohol were well hidden and it was extremely drinkable. Maybe it was because of the aging. Medium-full bodied and creamy mouth feel

Honestly, this is the BEST beer that I have ever tasted! It has all the characteristics that I could ever want in a beer. High hop, high alcohol, big fruit flavor and smooth creamy mouth feel. This is definitely not the last barley wine I will drink. I will buy 5 bottles and age them. Too bad this beer is hard to find.

2004 vintage 12oz bottle served in a 16 ounce shaker style glass.

Ths beer poured a deep dark amber color with 1.5 inches of thick tan head which gradually reduced to about a quarter inch which left lacing for the entire depth of the glass.

There is not much that is mild about this beer. It announces its presence strongly, right from the get-go with a smell that exudes hops with small malty undertone. The higher alcohol content is also evident right from the beginning as well.

The first few sips let you know right away that this is a beer to sipped, not gulped. The hops come through very strongly, as does a complex blend of citrus and carmelized malts

The mouthfeel is heavy without being too over powering. While the finish is strongly hoppy, it doesn't stick around too long afterwards.

For such a strongly flavored beer with this much alcohol, it is suprisingly easy to drink and can easily catch up with those who do not treat it with respect. Drinking an entire growler at one sitting is a mistake.

At $35/case, its not cheap, but it is one of the absolute best beers around.

Highly recommended

They did it again ... Sierra Nevada banged out a great 25th anniversary BIGFOOT. The 2008 batch if fine.

I enjoy big beers. But this beer is HANDS DOWN THE BEST BARLYWINE out there. Hoppy palate, and a balanced malty tase that somehow masks the high alcohol content. I think I was especially anxious to get my case this year and was not dissapointed.

20 odd years of drinking the Bigfoot and this is the first time I've had it on-tap...where have I been?!?

Served in a pint glass, a dark copper with marginal carbonation and an ivory cream head of 1/2 inch...looks like my favorite.

On the nose is some sweet, rich malt with some heavy citrus notes that are quickly overcome by some mature piney hops...smells like my favorite. Tastebuts are watering already!

Oh yeah, sickly sweet rich malt fill the oral cavity, full and fruity. The citrus middle takes over briefly, only to be guided by a powerful, yet balanced, hop finish of bliss. More is mandantory...tastes better than my favorite, slightly aged yet still fresh!

Full body, full of flavor and full of alcohol...to me, it just doesn't get any better...year after year. As a major consumer of this Barleywine, I can't recommend it enough, may you get stomped by a Bigfoot, CHEERS!

Bigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.