Bigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Bigfoot Barleywine-Style AleBigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale
4.14/5
Bigfoot Barleywine-Style AleBigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by kbub6f on 02-06-1998

Ratings: 7,518 |  Reviews: 3,066
2.25/5  rDev -45.7%

2.25/5  rDev -45.7%

4.18/5  rDev +1%

This beer (from my recollection), reminds me of Lagunita's Wilco Tango Foxtrot...

It is heavy on the hops, the strong malts, and the alcohol... What an intense mouthfeel and taste.

A - 1 and a half finger off-white, slightly orange-tan head leaving great lacing! Peering through the glass at the light, it is showing an orange-reddish-brown color. Mildly hazy, but can see my fingers' shadow through the glass.
S - Bittersweet sryuppy roasted malts and caramel. Not a big hop aroma (until the taste)
T - Heavy piney hops upfront and sweet malts afterwards, which is odd as typically, I notice caramel malts first, then the hop bite at the end. The taste just completely reminds me of something I've had before, but I can't put my finger on it. It really makes me want to try this back-to-back to Lagunita's Wilco Tango Foxtrot as I could almost swear they are almost twins.
M - Again, this is a complex beer. Bitterness in the beginning and a heavy syruppy malt at the end. It's definitely not watery by any stretch of the imagination.
O - I was going to give this beer a 4, but as it mellows out with warmth, I've really come to appreciate all that it has to offer. If it weren't for the bittering piney hops, this beer would be WAY too sweet for my tastes... I can't say enough how bitter, sweet, syruppy, malty, alcohol"y" this beer is. It also reminds me slightly of Dogfish Head's Burton Baton because of the strong "alcoholic syruppy caramel oakiness". It's surprisingly well balanced, but in a "everything is strong" sense. Hard to explain, but it's just that everything is so... pronounced. Your mouth screams "Sweet! Bitter! Malty! Caramel! Alcohol!"

3.85/5  rDev -7%

While Bigfoot is my first barley wine, I've had my share of dark heavy beers to know what to expect. Overall, Bigfoot would make for a good winter warmer beer with its 9.6% ABV and dark fruity wine smell (and plum taste?)
My first impression from the smell was of wine and fruits - not hops or malts. The mouthfeel comes with a notable bite, it does not mask the alcohol much. It's not a very bitter or "hoppy" beer, but the tastes that do exist are fully present. I could sense a slight wood barrel taste (which is great), but cannot pinpoint the exact wood. Paired very well with a plain chicken and noodle dinner. If you're looking for an interesting beer with some wine characteristics, give this Sierra Nevada a try.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.74/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Bigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.14 out of 5 with 7,518 ratings