Bigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Bigfoot Barleywine-Style AleBigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale
88%
Liked This Beer
4.14 w/ 7,514 ratings
Bigfoot Barleywine-Style AleBigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by kbub6f on 02-06-1998

Liked:
4.14/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 7,514 |  Reviews: 3,063

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I picked up this beer on my mission to review all 100 of the Beers of Fame. I've had a few of these in the past. I even aged a few bottles in the past.

I poured this beer into a pint glass to sip as my last beer of the evening. This beer has a nice mix of brown and red with a decent head. It left nice lacing on the glass.

The smell gives off a decent amount of fruitiness, sweetness, venous, and some hops. There is a lot going on in this beer.

The flavor is equally deep. I really like when the beer tastes as good as it smells... or vice-versa; I hate when a beer smells good but the flavor is bad. This is a very well balanced barleywine. I love the barley flavor in most beers, this one is no different.

This is a very good barleywine. No surprises here. It is one of the reasons why I list it as my favorite style. I recommend getting this beer when it is still on the shelf.

3.97/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Nice bronze color, very clear with a half finger eggshell head

S: Lots of caramel maltiness and pine cones. Also, a small amount of fruitiness

T: Follows the smell quite well, very pine cone-ish. Very, very hoppy barleywine. Alcohol not very present, despite it coming in at around 10%. Finish is a lot sweeter, caramel

M: Good, medium carbonation, slightly thick

Overall, this is a really good barleywine and probably the only one of this caliber that is available in a sixer. I always make sure to pick up at least one six pack every year when it comes out.

This is one of my all-time favorite go-to beers. I should have reviewed it long ago given the number of bottles I've had.
----
2011 v
A: Maroon with 1.5 finger head and an off white/tannish head.

S: Caramel malts and some dark fruits. Also a little toffee and some mild piney hop comes through in the background.

T: Caramel malt sweetness with a big pronounced hop tang in the middle. Very strong bitterness at the end that contines to linger. The 2011 seems more bitter and drier than I remember the the 2010 being. Anyway, either version is still the most bitter barleywine I've had.

M: Moderate to heavy carbonation. Don't really notice the alcohol until after drinking a fair amount of the bottle.

O: This is an grest beer and also unique for it's style. I'm pretty sure it was always designed to be a marriage between a DIPA and an American barleywine. As others have noted, I think this beer often gets overlooked for how good it is. When a beer of this quality is readily available and well-priced, it commands a lot of respect.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Bigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 88% out of 100 with 7,514 ratings