Bigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Bigfoot Barleywine-Style AleBigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale
88%
Liked This Beer
4.14 w/ 7,513 ratings
Bigfoot Barleywine-Style AleBigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by kbub6f on 02-06-1998

Liked:
4.14/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 7,513 |  Reviews: 3,063
4.77/5  rDev +15.2%

Have had this beer many times and have had many different vintages, both aged and fresh. This rating is from a fresh-ish bottle.

Pours a deep dark amber that only shows through the light with a creamy light tan head that has a great retention. The aroma holds a great deal of caramel malt, some citrus and some dark fruit. The flavor holds a great balance between a grapefruit/grass hop flavor and caramel malt, there’s also elements of plum, brandy, and alcohol. Full bodied and supermalty over the tounge with a bitter finish gives this brew a great bittersweet experience over all. Truly the quintessential American style barleywine.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Reviewing 12-oz bottle of Big Foot 2011 Vintage, fresh (from notes), enjoyed from tulip glass.

A: Copper, almost brown body.

N: Alcohol and butterscotch with a bit of pine.

T/M: Alcohol is immediately present. Buttery body melds with piny, resinous hop character.

This year's batch seems less yeasty or malt forward than I remember previous versions being...this could be due to its freshness and the fact that a 9.6% ABV just seems so average to my palette now. It is very hoppy fresh, and it is really quite excellent. This is one of my favorite Sierra Nevada beers, seasonal or otherwise.

3.77/5  rDev -8.9%

2011 vintage Poured into a snifter.

A It pours a orangish brown color, with a 1 finger head with pretty good retention, and a nice bit of lacing.

S The nose has some nice citrus, grapefruit, and pine like notes from the hops, and some sweet honey like notes to balance it out.

T Very strong and complex flavor. There is a very potent herbal note present, along with some bitterness from the hops, and a hint of some citrus. This one seems to be dominated by hops with the malts seeming like an after thought.

M This one is surprising in the fact that it is not syrupy like a lot of barley wines I've had. But it is still thick, and to top it off it has some decent carbonation.

Overall I really like this one. I don't think it is as good as some other barley wines out there, but it is definitely a good one. I plan on cellering a few to see how this one turns out.

2002 vintage

Picked up a 2002 and it is different.

A the carbonation has largely vanished and it is kind of flat looking.

S lots of sweet malt, a bit of sweet fruit.No hops at all

T more sweet caramel malt, a bit of leather, some sweet fruits and a bit of sherry. Again no hops

M very thick and syrupy.

Overall this is quite interesting and enjoyable. I'm glad I have 2 more.

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Note to self: anything named after Sasquatch will instantly catch my eye. This Sierra Nevada creation is proof of that. I was just introduced to SN with their Torpedo Extra IPA, and, I must say, I was quite impressed. Plus, I’m not too familiar with the barleywine style, so this is new territory for me in many respects.

A: Dark, nearly opaque pumpkin juice orange with a large tan head. It gives the impression of a bold brew, due to the fact that it’s so damn thick. Good lacing all around, although the foam does give way after a rather short period of time.

S: A big burst of hops at first, wheaty goodness following soon after. Spicy booze and honey malts abound. A big nose for Bigfoot.

T: Wow, tons of flavor upfront. Honey/toffee malts are damn sweet, taking an upfront stance at the beginning of the palate. The herbal/phenolic notes come next, but they are easily overtaken by something in the blend that I wasn’t expecting – some sort of tangy tone that sticks with you. It’s a welcome distinction. The hops are sharp and crisp, and provide a strong presence in the aftertaste.

M: The sweetness is a lot to balance, so it should be a sipper for sure. Sometimes, though, the carbonation proves a bit excessive, practically forcing it to go down too quick for its style. Turned me off at times.

O: This beer has a lot of flavor, but at first I didn’t know if I was a fan of the balance. It seemed too heavy on the sweetness for my taste. A few drinks in, though, the flavors expanded a bit and opened up a more enjoyable experience. It’s a beer that grew on me by the end of the bottle; strange but true. Now I’d be perfectly content with a six-pack of these monsters! Funny how it works sometimes…

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

We pour a brew of glowing red-orange, like the rays of a deep setting sun. It holds a thick, one finger tall head of tan bubbles. It recedes at a medium pace and leaves a single film of big bubbles across the glass, with thick lacing clinging around the sides. Carbonation looks mild, and much sediment is found throughout the glass. The aroma smells sweetly of grain and, of course, dried barley. Sweetness is enhanced by hints of strawberries and honey. A big booze presence is noted, with grassy hops making up the remainder of the nose. As we sip, the first things noted are big waves of warming alcohols and soapy hops. These bitter, biting flavors are cut at the peak of the sip with sweetness of fruit, with apricot and orange being the frontrunners. Malts also cruise in, taking out a bit more of the bittering front flavors. The finish reverts back to the beginning, with bittering citrus rind, big slick hops, and a good deal of booze. All the while a coating of balancing malt flavor is palpable along the entire length of the tongue. The aftertaste breathes bitterly. Here we speak mainly of barley and malt, grassy yet sweetened hops, and fusel alcohols. The body is on the thicker side and the carbonation is light. With each sip comes a nice slurp, made affordable by the syrupy quality of the beer. The mouth is coated nicely, but is ultimately left dried by the bittering hop aftertaste. The abv is within range, and this beer is inherently a sipper.

Overall, the most impressive thing about this brew was the deep, gorgeous coloring. It had the darkness of the style, but a beautiful glowing red to give that extra glam. The aroma was also nice, with a slight fruitiness and spice, amongst the hoppiness and grain. This brew really opened up the more it sat and warmed to the proper temperature, much more so than other beers of this style. What it eventually became was a nice treat with a warming aroma and taste that keeps you wanting more.

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: 2011 Year. A big 2+ finger, off-white, creamy head. As the head settles it gets super thick looking like a fluffy pancake, it looks awesome. Color is a dark chestnut amber. Carbonation is surprising to see and it isn't as thick looking as many barleywines I've had. Great, stippled creamy lacing.

S: To my surprise, the first thing I notice is the piney hops. Also, some citrusy,grassy, piney, grapefruit hops. Fruit notes of tropical fruits, apricot and orange. Some sweet honey, mint and cocoa nibs backed by a sweet maltness.

T: The hop bitterness is high. It's super grassy and has a piney quality to it. The next quality noticed is the sweetness from the malts then the alcohol esters. Cocoa nibs and raw sugar notes also give it sweetness. Candy-like malts, biscuity, caramel notes and mint.

Overall: Medium to full-bodied and leaning on the full-bodied side. Hops are tingly and the aftertaste of the hops last a long time. A very good drinkable barleywine.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a 2011 to a 12 ounce bottle to a stemless red wine glass. Color is reddish (pomegranate)-brown with an off-white head. Smells of peaches and citrus and piney hops and toffee malt.

Tastes starts immediately warm, with caramel, toffee and molasses, followed by a deep, sharp hop bite, like a sore throat coming on, but dripping with hop oils.

Mouthfeel is sticky and hot, but not syrupy like many other big beers. Overall, I like this beer because it feels complex; it changes with each taste as the temperature changes. I plan to cellar the rest of the six pack.

Disclaimer: This is my first barleywine, and I like it a lot. That means two things. I may not be describing it in proper terms, and I'll be buying many more to compare, so I may have to revisit this.

3.36/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a the 2011 bottle into a large glass. Very carbonated. Ton of head, 4 fingers thick, big white head. Very sticky lacy. Just tons of it! Only dating on the bottle I can find is 0 348 11 00. Pours a lovely deep ruby hue. Aged a couple of months in my beer fridge w/ a temp of 49F.

The nose is quite hoppy, intense, piney resinous, some citrus-floral notes too. An easy swirl of the drink produces a very large amount of head. Alcoholic mouthfeel comes right in on the first sip. Not as much hop presence as I'd had the first time I drank this. The malt has had time to come through w/ the aging. Has quite a bit of warmth. After this aging, the sweet malt has more of a chance to come through. Still a little sting & warmth from the alcohol. Has a pretty long & dry finish but the hops really overpower in this bottle like it did the first time I had this. Still got a lotta hop though don't misunderstand me.

Overall, a pretty good beer. It's hard to say how much this beer fits w/ style due to the HUGE variability of characteristics from this style. I think I'll wait, if I can, for the the next drink a year from now. Have 3 more to age & am looking forward to see how it develops over time. Prosit!

The mouthfeel is quite rich & very full. Chewy.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottled on the 71st day of 2011, so only a little over a month old

A: Pours a reddish mahogany color with a fingers worth of head that dies down fairly quickly

S: Malty with a nice dose of piney, earthy hops. Can't help but to compare it to a sweeter, maltier, slightly less hoppy version of Celebration

T: An almost wild mix of bittersweet malts and nice, bitter hops that attack from start to finish, even beyond. Some slight peppery alcohol that is balanced nicely by the malts and hops

M: A nice, big beer with a perfect amount of carbonation

D/O: I know the calorie count on this one is huge, but it definitely can't stop me from drinking a few of these. Can't wait to put 1-2 away to see how they age, but the other ones won't last very long

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

A - The beer fills the glass and forms a half a finger of off-white foam on top of the very clear, light brown body. The head settles out quite quickly and leaves just a film of lace on the glass in its wake.

S - The classic American barleywine aroma of spicy hops and earthy caramel malt. Notes of pepper, mustard, and pine.

T - Spicy hops and thick toffee malt up front with some distinct pine notes. More pine hops in the middle with sweet, sugary elements of brown sugar and caramel. Things finish up with more mustardy, spicy hop flavors and strong, somewhat harsh hop bitterness to balance the rich malt profile.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

D - This is a tough beer to review, it is such an achetypical classic of its particular style that it is hard to give it an objective examination. Still, like a Beatles album, there is a reason it has become a classic that is a standard bearer for all that followed. The spicy hop character is brimming with pine and more subtle, darker character that is both influenced by and harmonizes with the deep, sugary malt. This is a timeless and complex beer that is all the more notable in that it doesn't require extensive aging to become drinkable the way that some other classic American barleywines do.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

A: pours a rich mahogany color with a 2 finger off white/egg shell head.. leaves some nice alcohol legs.. light spectrums make way for ruby red lighting..

S: big whiff of pine! Deep in the nose malt sweetness does lie.. along with lingering alcoholic fumes..

T: malts upfront (caramel/toffee sweetness).. then as the beer moves to the back of my mouth I get hit with a TON of pine.. the bitterness is high on this one.. reminds me of fresh Celebration.. finish warm with some alcohol fumes pulling through..

Mf: thick, syrupy, & sticky.. just right.

O: finally got to try this beast.. very well hopped fresh.. can't wait to see what a year or 2 does to this.

4.18/5  rDev +1%

2011 , 12 ounce our into He'Brew tumbler paired with pretzels and dijon mustard and aged cheddar, a few hours after dinner...

A: Oh sh#t! The head on this is GIGANTIC. I gave it a pretty tame pour and the head is shooting out the top of the glass. Rich thick frothy head, Nice ruby translucent colored ale. Heck, this looks wonderful.

S: Sweet cherries, grapefruit and strawberries, slightly medicinal, hoppy fruits, a touch of sour. Sweet fruit finish.

T: Syrupy hop attack, intense for sure. This is an excellent tasting barleywine. A very nice balance between the astringent hops and the syrupy thick barleywine body. Surprisingly, not much heat from the 9.6 APV.

M: Wonderful syrupy mouthfeel. Sharp hop tingle and some rather aggressive almost muted champagne like carbonation.

O: Overall, this tastes like the quintessential American Barleywine. It manages to be hoppy , syrupy desert-like, drinkable, and balanced all in one. Much better than most Barleywine's I've tried. Would love to try this on tap or cellared for a year +. This is not an everyday beer, but a treat for the right moment. I will certainly be tempted to pick up a few more bottles of this next time I see this.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass.

Look - a lovely, almost ruby red color, murky, with about a finger's worth of deep khaiki-colored foam that dissipates slowly.

Smell - hop presence is evident, perhaps some Cascade hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel - hop presence is even more prevalent in the taste. Bitterness is there at the very beginning and lasts throughout the taste and into the aftertaste, but not too strong in the aftertaste. It's an almost pulsing feeling as the bitterness hits and then fades away. There's a slight hint of a muskiness just before the bitterness hits. Texture is very well-balanced.

Overall - way too bitter for my own choice, but seems to be very true to the style, which is something I can very much appreciate. Good brew and great if you love bitters.

4.24/5  rDev +2.4%

The first time I ever tried a Sierra Nevada, let alone Bigfoot, I was not impressed(I think i was because at that time i was pounding PBR, Mickey's and High Life.) But as the seasons changed, I slowly became the beer geeks that I am today. Bigfoot's color is a deep, cloudy red with a pale orange 2 inch head. It has a creamy mouthfeel at the beginning then i got a toasty feeling towards and at the end. Though the taste is a liitle strong for me, I point out that a) I'm drinking it at room temp out of my favorite laser etched pint glass, and b) I can only assume that because of my general lack of drinking any Sierra Nevada styles it make me a noob to this good beer. I plan on buying another bottle and cellaring it.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

There are a lot of good Barleywine style beers, but Bigfoot still sets the standard. From the unique color to the wonderful smells to the very Sierra Nevada interpretation of Barleywine flavor this beer does it all! It's strong, bold and yet remains a delicate treat to be savored again and again. The best thing about the beer is the recipe has slight modifications every year yet remains consistently interesting and awesome. This is for the true craft beer fan!

4.43/5  rDev +7%

Purchased from: Williams IGA (Vienna, Ohio)
Origin: 12 oz Bottle
Bottled on: 2011
Tasted on: 04-24-11
Glassware: Ephermere Tulip Glass
Serving Temperature: 55 F

Notes: Picked this up at a local grocery store fresh off the truck. This is the first Barley Wine I am going to review.

Appearance: Pours a ridiculously fluffy white-tan head (About 2 fingers high). This might have been my fault due to a slightly vigorous pour. The retention on this is ridiculous! Its like a giant white cloud that sticks around and leaves a beautiful sticky lacing down the sides of the glass. The body is a "slightly" cloudy orange/red/copper sunset color. A great start.

Smell: Its like a kick in the face! Plenty of hops right of the bat followed by malts and bright alcohol notes. As this warms slightly, I pick up faint hints of chocolate, caramel & dark fruits. These are still dominated by the ridiculous amount of hops & alcohol. This has me pretty intimidated.

Taste: WOW! This pretty well matches the nose. Big, Hoppy, Malty Goodness. Starts off, with a slight sweetness of the malts which is quickly side swiped by the hops and finally falls down the back of my tongue and throat leaving a trail of alcohol heat. The finish is dry like a liquor, but leaves a little of sugary malts behind to clean up this tornado of flavors. This is a pretty unique beer. I found it to be quite interesting and pleasurable.

Mouthfeel: Thick and slightly syrupy, but overall very well balanced. The carbination seems pretty high, but then again this is a really young beer.

Drinkability: Its a sipper for sure. But is a great choice for an after meal beverage.

Concluding thoughts: Great beer. I feel I can not really give it an accurate review until I has time to mature. The flavors are bold and in your face, but after a year or two of proper cellaring, I'm sure the flavors will come together in a more balanced way.

Hop Level (1-5): 4
Malt Level (1-5): 4

4.47/5  rDev +8%

2009 vintage. 12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep, clear, bright mahogany with less than a finger of very light tan head. Simple and straightforward, and really beckons me to drink.

Citrus hoppiness on the nose. Sweet biscuity malt backbone, stronger, it seems, even with a month's worth of age. There's a nice vinous alcohol character toward the end of the glass.

Taste is hops up front, almost in-your-face with the first few bottles. Citrus first, then earthy, and bitter throughout. Lots of malt to bring things into balance, but young Bigfoot definitely walks on the hoppy side. Medium-bodied, leaning toward heavy, with a good mouth coating effect. Minor carbonation, but enough to cleanse the palate.

Overall a fantastic beer. Now I see what all the fuss is about.

===

Update. 2006 vintage, reviewed 1/21/2011.

Pours clear golden copper, turning murky as I empty the contents of the bottle. Limp, soft tan head with little staying power.

Nose is incredibly dense and rich; toffee and caramel, toasted bread, candied citrus, candied pecans. A nice berry fruitiness adds complexity. Not terribly hoppy, but the hops aren't absent either.

The palate is quite different than I remember. Initial wave of rich malty goodness, but that soon washes past as a spicy, earthy, juniper-cedar evergreen note steps in, lingering a while. Actually tastes like my mental image of the Pacific northwest. A bit rainy and damp, perhaps, earthy, mossy, generally green. Malt is full and deep and rich and more than holds up the evergreen (aged hop?) notes.

Full bodied and firm, but approachable. I think I might keep all my Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) back 5 years from now on.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

2010 vintage.

Pours a murky dark iced tea color with a small 1 inch khaki head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Nice rings of lace lin the glass on the drink down. Smells of biscuits, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, and citrus zest. Taste is very similar but in the reverse order of the smells: citrus zest hops, brown sugar/caramel/toffee, with the biscuit like malt coming through at the end. Medium hop bitterness on the palate after each sip. Thick and chewy in the mouth with each sip. Slight alcohol burn in the throat. Overall, this is a good barleywine that packs a hop punch. One of the hoppiest of the style that I have tried.

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally tried this, 2011 version. Allowed to come to room temp for 15 mins then poured into tulip.

Solid off-white head, pretty dense and thick with great lacing. Taste is certainly hoppy and dry tannin but the first and last thing I notice is the malt.

Alcohol comes in late, with a slight warming in the stomach, some aging will likely smooth but am pleasantly surprised, didn't think I would enjoy as much as I do.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

P- Al's of hampden

A- chestnut amber color with a frothy peak head. not clear but not hazy.

S- alcohol and toffee malts. simple yet splendid

T- sweet toffee malts and pine hops.

M-full bodied and lasting aftertaste that isnt bad for this beer.

D- heavy on the abv so its sipper. Dont be bonging these.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

omg!!!....2010 bigfoot barley wine ale i received from myself....thank you self...

the appearance is absolutely fabulous...fluffy white head...not much sticking to the glass....

the smell is malted barley...almost tea like

taste is full bodied...full taste....and does not disappoint...you can feel the alcohol running through your blood stream in this one baby!!!

the feel is dry....right on with the style

overall this is probably one of the best barley wines ive ever had...and i mean that!

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

One of the all-timers, I'm psyched to give this an official look, especially since I'm a latecomer to the barleywine party. This one has been sitting around a while, the 2010 vintage bottled in mid-December 2009.

Poured into an snifter-ish mug, this looks phenomenal. On the table the beer appears a rusty chestnut, but when held up to the late-afternoon sun it takes on the color of blood orange flesh. The frothy foam rides high and brings to mind the top of a root beer float.

Citrusy and woody hops hit the nose first, almost like a juicy fresh harvest ale. Caramel and spicy alcohol are clearly detectable as well. Taste is much sweeter than the nose and it starts out syrupy before the bitterness dries out the finish. I must admit, the bitterness and alcohol burning is a little more than I'd like. Mouthfeel is good and certainly holds up to the rest of the flavors, but I may hang on to one of these for a few years to let the harsh finish mellow out.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a The Bruery tulip

Appearance: Beautiful dark copper with ruby red highlights, a bit hazy. Large fluffy light-tan head leaves some legs.

Smell: Rich caramel malty yet piney a bit citrucy hop aroma with a hint of oak. A slight alcohol warmth.

Taste: Strong hop citrucy piney bitterness up front. Rich caramely toasty malty flavors, sweet brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: Medium full body. high carbonation.

Notes: Delicious West Coast Super hoppy Barleywine. High ABV but the hop bitterness wipe off the alcohol warmth. Dangerously delicious.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Vintage 2011... but I've had all the others since 2006.

I vividly remember going over to a friend's house about 6-7 years ago and not know much about craft beer. I knew SN Pale Ale tasted better than the average bear, but that's about it. I sample this one and my palate was jammed with taste, but I was totally blow away at that point. Apocalyptic!

Poured into a small tulip.

A: Dark amber, with a dangerously cloudy proposition. The beige head stuck to the glass and then some...

S: Hop, hop, hop... caramel, barley, citrus, butterscotch, flowers, yeast, and a nice malt backbone (surprising that there was still room for that).

T: A sipper for sure... It seems that I noticed the back-bite first, so I'll start with that. Bitter, bitter, hoppy... There was a nice caramel-like presence to the brew in general, but make no mistake: This was a dense brew! Roasted pineapple? (weird, I know).

M: Thick... you'll need a knife to cut it. The bitterness lingered, but it was just flat out candy for craft beer geeks!

O: Still on of my favorite Barleywines, and I see why so many people have embraced it. *This was totally my bridge beer into craft beer.*

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Still on tap @ Taco Mac served into tulip. Pours an awesome dark ruby red, with a small 1/2" head that stick some sweet lace onto the sides. Smells of caramel malts, a hint of brown sugar, and a tad bit of roasted malt. Hops shine in the American Barleywine raging through with pine and grass type hops. Taste is ridiculous crazy, so many malt notes bundled up in one beer compiled with the immense amount of hopping should be illegal, just to make it more fun to partake! This beer is a wicked treat. I remember when I was getting into English Barleys, and picked up one of these monsters, I was flabbergasted! I had no idea what was going on in my mouth other than an explosion of flavors! Overall, this is one heavy monstrous brew, and should be handled with care. Yes we all know it tastes so delectably good that you'll want to have a few, but trust me my friends, do yourself a favor and try not to get too hammered on this potent poison. You'll thank me tomorrow! Cheers!

Bigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 88% out of 100 with 7,513 ratings