Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Reviews: 2,957 | Ratings: 10,988
3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale tastes like hop water to me. There isn't enough malt character for balance. It also has a weak flavour that tastes almost like... chlorine.

A: Clear yellow/orange colour and a 8 mm head that lasts reasonably well. 4

S: Floral, grassy hops. Pretty strong. 4

T: Grassy hops with a noticeably chlorine-like flavour. Not a strong malty base. Fairly bitter. 3.5

M: Foamy. 4.5

O: 3.5

The ulitmate "beer".
A nice balance of hops and malt, this pale ale fits my standard for a basicly perfect everyday beer.

Appearance is light copper with a thick white head.

Smell is hops and watery freshness, with a slight biscuity breadyness.

Taste is slightly bitter hops, with a nice biscuity bready malty body.

Mouthfeel is nothing heavy, very crisp, and very easy going.

Overall, If you enjoy american hops, and a want a solid beer to have with a meal, out in the sun, or hanging out with friends Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the ticket. I'll also say this is a fairly nice session beer, if only a little strong.
Cheers.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Fragrant, but not bitter. Not much to look at in the glass (not much head, what is there recedes, a hazy orange gold with big bubbles), and it's not setting the world on fire, but it's easy to overlook how good and how reliable this is. Perfumy but also a decent crisp malt base, light cracker, grass, hay.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Amber gold with half centimeter of frothy head, leaves nice lace. Well carbonated with particulates.

S - Subtle smell, with hint of cedar wood.

T - Slightly bitter, stimulates the tip and front sides of the tongue. Leaves slight after taste of woody flavor.

M - Nicely smooth.

O - Enjoyable pale to heavy beer. Seems a little strong for a pale ale.

Summary: Reasonably priced with smooth and stimulating flavor and texture.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

The hazy light coppery color with the one finger head looks very inviting i must say. After a couple of sips it leaves a thin lace.

The smell is very hopy with some kind of flower sweetness added to it. I also get some kind of crispiness, almost like an wisebeer.

The taste is still very hopy with that crispiness I mentioned earlier. There is also that sweetness I can't seem to put my finger on.

The mouthfeel is quite dry but yet refreshing. The carboration is not as aggressive as I expected, but that's not a bad thing.

Drinkability - I want an other one!

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours dark golden, almost amber, into a pint glass. Thick ivory head stays and clings well.

Smell: Sweet malt and fragrant hops, an inviting nose.

Taste: Zesty hops reveal herbal and even fruity notes, very complex.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that finishes dry on the palate.

Drinkability: A solid ale, could have this again.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

A classic and pioneer in craft beer! Usually poured out of 12oz bottle into pint glass or on tap. Pours a nice deep golden color with a little bit of cloudiness. Aroma has the cascade hops up front bringing out that nice floral undertone. There also seems to be a little orange present in this also. The flavor is what I would consider to be probably the true American Pale Ale. The malts are present up front along with their counterpart, hops. Nice and refreshing. Following behind these two ingredients would have to be that orange I smelled earlier. There is also a little pepper and floral in the back end. Leaves a bitter and refreshing taste in the end. Good classic beer again.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

You won't go wrong but its not that special. beats lots of craft beers but you don't feel like you found a gem. Easy go to beer cause you see it everywhere.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance: dark golden, beautiful white lacing.

Smell: citrus, floral, and fruity. light malt.

Taste: fairly bitter, sweet earthy malt.

Mouthfeel: medium-bodied without being too light.

Overall: This is the beer that started it for me. I don't even know when I had my first SNPA. It must have been in the late 80's. SNPA has become more bitter than I care for these days. I tend toward the pale ales that are highly hopped in flavor and aroma.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Nice golden color with a lasting cream colored head and nice lacing.

S: Floral hops and a little bit of caramel. The hops always seem to smell fresh.

T: Citrus hops and a lot of biscuity malt. A little lemon and grapefruit in there. This is a good pale ale, just not my favorite.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I do not know why it took me so long to try this! I totally am enjoying all their beers! I am a fan for sure now. It was light and smooth yet had some flavor. REFRESHING!

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pale, golden yellow; clear; medium, frothy head, off white, long lasting

Aroma: Malty; slightly hoppy; slight grapefruit, grass and caramel

Taste: Malty, juicy and slightly bitter on start; finishes semi-sweet and hoppy with lingering nutty bitterness

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

A: between a deep gold colour and an orange, semi traslucent, lots of carb, very persistent, long lasting off-white head,

S: some orange peel, citrics, pine, grass, american hops

T: medium body, balanced flavour, good bitternes on the aftertaste, long lasting end

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is truly one of the beers that helped kick start the micro revolution in America. This was also one of the first "good" beers I ever had back in junior year of high school. I remember enjoying it, but being shocked at what I perceived to be just "dryness." Obviously, with a much maturing of the palette, I can now fully appreciate this beer.

SN Pale Ale pours an amber-like gold color with a nice foamy white head that retains well, but thins out in about 2 minutes and leaves minimal lace. The smell is truly hoppy, with citric and pine notes being the dominating aromas. Quite clean. The mouthfeel is smooth and lightly carbonated. Very quenching. There is a light maltiness in the flavor that gives an illusion of sweetness, but the hop presence nullifies it and takes over from there. The piney and citric notes return, with a healthy dose of woodiness as well. This beer is slightly drying on the way down. Very crisp, sharp and quenching. The Cascade hop flavors linger for quite some time after the beer is done with, and there is some warmth to finish out this beer.

This beer certainly did not seem as bitter or dry as when I first tried it back when I was 17, but it did have a good, slightly strong hoppiness to it that really makes this beer one of a kind. Adding the yeast sediment contributes some cloudiness to the beer, but I didn't recognize any immediate changes in the flavor. This would be good with some bbq ribs. A good beer if you're trying to slowly convert someone into a hophead, and it is so very easy to quaff a few of these down.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Keep in mind that I am more of a stout/porter/dark brew fan than I am of ales and lagers.

Still thought this was great. The appearance was beautiful - poured a deep golden amber but did not have a very thick head, thin and white with no lacing at all. Would have rated Appearance at least 4 if it had more persistent head/more lacing. We'll see if the next bottle is any different. Smelled kind of. piney in a way. Smells hoppy. Spice-y. Smells good. The taste is one of my favorites for a pale ale. Absolutely perfect blend of hops and malt. Got a hoppy flavor which transitions into a bready spiced barley kind of flavor. Finishes a bit dry. Light-medium bodied, closer to the light side. Slightly above average carbonation. Overall I'd say a 3.75. High drinkability, might purchase again if I'm ever in an ale mood.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

I should preface this review by saying that I'm not a big fan of pale ales or hoppy beers in general.

The appearance was good, a medium gold. Poured with very little head, but a lacing remained through the whole thing.

Smelled of hops and malts, possibly a bit sweeter and more fruity than most APAs I've had before.

The taste was surprisingly good for me. This one is less hoppy than some pale ales I've had in the past so it was easier for me to warm up to. Somewhat crisp and very very clean and fresh tasting. The aftertaste was of hops and otherwise clean.

The mouthfeel was average. Appropriately smooth. Compliments the beer just fine but nothing special.

Overall, as far as APAs go, this is one I could sit down with more so than the others I've had. Not too bitter but represents the style well.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a one fingered head on top of a dark orange/light red beer. Below average head retention and no lacing.

S- Smell is of faint oranges

T- Follows the smell with floral hops added, Light on the palate but very flavorful.

M- Good carbonation, feels nice in my mouth.

D/O- Drinkability on this is awesome...right up there with the best flavor&drinkability ratio there is. A gateway drug is there ever was one.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Clear light copper body. Nice bubbly off-white head.
S: Orange marmalade.
T: Not a whole lot of malt but it's nice and crisp. Getting a general impression of citrus and some orange marmalade. Bitter and an incy bit lager-like. Fairly dry. Towards the end it gets a bit funky, an off flavour that always reminds me of cottage cheese. Something to to with the yeast I think.
M: Not overly fizzy.
O: Nothing to write home about.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured into a pint glass, orange and clear with an attractive thin head. The thin head lingered and there was some lacing. Smells OK, but honestly not much on the nose. A light feeling beer with a little to offer everyone. Light hop presence, a little bready malt, a touch of fruit and a subdued bitterness. I get a spicy, peppery finish more than bitter. An overall well crafted, balanced ale with not much in the way of wow factor. Solid, but nothing special, so I can't approach the 4.0 it is currently getting. To me a 4 is a beer I will seek out again, and this I probably won't.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Pale amber color, with a tight crisp white head.

Floral scents, with lemon mix with hop aromas.

Medium body. Excellent malt character along with raw grain flavors. A dry hop infested finish follows. Some people would say this an IPA. I just call it good.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

I'm not a huge fan of pale ales, but this one really works for me. I went with this for the first of my 5 gallon shell series, and I was happy I did. Sierra Nevada has a wide appeal to people. I won't order this at every bar I go to, but I'll drink it again.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured into chalice. Pours a clear caramel color with almost no head and no lacing. Smell is of citrus hops. Taste is a quick burst of citrus hops followed by biscuitlike malts. Mouthfeel is fairly light but dry. Definitely a sessionable beer as it's very drinkable. Surprisingly hoppy for an APA. More like an IPA in my opinion. A quality beer nonetheless.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Pretty standard for a PA. Orange, a little lacey.

S: It smells like weed. Just straight hops, but faint. It's sweet, too. Intoxicating.

T: Again, pretty standard for a PA. It's well done. A little dry, slight citrus, and decent sweetening hops. A nice sugary crystalization is there.

M: This is where this beer really does it. It's thin, but crisp. Extremely bubbly. Tingles on your toungue. Goes down fast and kicks the back of your throat like a coca-cola. Awesome.

OVERALL: I've had this beer on tap quite a few times and never understood why everyone said it was so good, but this is my first bottle. Maybe I always had bad tap lines, because this beer is amazing. It's a safe beer done perfectly. Love it.

NOTE: Live review.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Simply a classic. This brew is one most of your non-BA friends will even know about and have probably tried. To many, it's the quientisential "micro"brew.

The appearance is copper heaven. There's a light/small white head that doesn't seem to last all that long. The smell is slightly metallic but more "beery" and floral. I can taste the hops before they hit my palate.

The taste is smooth, vibrant, and refreshing. There's just enough hop bite to make you go "Ahhh!". Drinkability is a bit of an issue as my mouth becomes increasingly dry and by tastebuds ever spent after each bottle.

This is a must try, no matter what your tastes are! (This is as much because of the taste as it is because of the noteriety).

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Clear and copper pour with a fluffy white head. Hops are certainly apparent, but pretty tame. Scent mostly dominated by citrus, specifically orange peel. You also get some sweet caramel malt aromas. It's pretty refreshing. A nice session beer for sure. The citrus hops are most noticeable just as in the scent. Caramel, bready malts come in toward the back. Finish is crisp and clean.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.