Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Ratings: 11,485 |  Reviews: 3,054
3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

welcome to ontario SNPA! 355ml bottle into nonic pint glass. bottled march 25, 2015. consumed on may 14, 2015

a: clear light amber with a finger of off-white head

s: biscuity malt up front followed by piney, floral, and grapefruity hop characteristics. hints of hoppy spices and oranges. extremely pleasant

t: a piney floral presence at first, but quickly leads into big biscuity malt flavours with subdued grapefruit, lemon, and orange notes, as well as touches of spice coming from the hops. moderate bitterness at the end

m: medium-minus body, with moderate carbonation. excellent

o: a modest but delicious, solid, and enjoyable ale

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My 1st review on BA. I recently ditched the world of macros and entered the world of crafts and micros. SNPA was one of the 1st beers I tried, and my 1st APA. The 1st 6 pack I drank was an enlightening experience.

The first taste I took I was almost floored by how much hoppiness and general flavor this beer had. A tad overwhelming at first (to a macro-head, which is what I was). By the 3rd one, I began to LOVE this beer. When the 6 was gone, I drove back to the store at mach 3 to pick up a 12 pack (and was glad and surprised SN makes a 12 pack of this. Thumbs up for that.) This beer opened my eyes to a whole new world.

Nice hoppy, piney taste, with a citrusy kick. The 1st taste is a nice kick in the taste buds, but it quickly fades into a nice dry finish that makes me want to take another sip right away. I liken the taste to "drinking a pinecone". I think I started my internship of "hophead in training" with this one. I never knew I liked hoppy beer, but apparantly, I do. As I try more APAs, I will instinctly use this one to judge others against.

Great taste, HIGH drinkability, decent ABV, widespread availability and reasonable sticker price make this one a winner on all fronts.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

A- Color is a very deep and dark gold. Fluffy white head leaves lots of lacing behind.

S- A very subtle and enjoyable citrus/pine aroma.

T- The hoppiness is kept in check at a good level.

M- Creamy feel make it easy drinking.

D- Overall this is a very good Pale Ale. Made for drinking more than one.

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Deciphered the bottle code to reveal this 6pack was bottled on August 9th...but eh well, such is the best you can find in a little hole-in-the-wall alcohol/fried things place in the middle of nowhere.
Poured into tulip; clear golden orange with a nice fluffy white head that leaves rocky, sticky lacing as it descends lazily.
Smells mostly of metallic malt, with a lingering hint of spicy hops. Not really any citrus to be found, sadly, in a bottle this old.
Taste isn't bad, although it's very obvious the hop flavors have faded greatly. Begins with a spike of herbal and spicy bitterness and some grassy flavors with the ghost of citrus that once was, then moves into very light, clean malt. Finishes wet, clean and a little bitter.
Mouthfeel is light and effervescent, very pleasing.
Overall, I picked this up because I had always skipped it over for something else, and I figured I should try SN's flagship, but I regret doing so with such an old 6-pack. I am loathe to associate myself with those who whip themselves into a righteous rage over the thought of a store that lets IPAs sit on shelves longer than a week, but it's nothing so ridiculous to acknowledge that 4 months is too old for this beer.

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a pale gold that was strongly orange-hued. Also had a huge frothy head, very little carbonation, and a lil' bit o' lace. Smelled of fresh hops and clean malt, but mostly hops oil. Also had some clean and easy scents of grapefruit, all faint and moderate though. Did I mention the hops. Taste is a pleasant refreshing bitter with a soft golden malt underneath. The yeast imparted an earthiness and combines with bitterness; the flipside is that the yeast creates not the best finish. With a smooth watery mouthfeel a touch viscuous from all those hops, this beer has great drinkability. In all a simple quality pale, in fact, the classic.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Sierra Nevada Pale ale was a nice orange-amber color with good clarity. It had a white head with good retention and left some lacing behind. The aroma was cirtus hops and some light malt. The taste was more hops than malt with a little bitterness and hoppy dry finish. It was medium-light in body with good carbonation. Drinkabilty was very good. It's a good tasting, easy to find APA that I keep coming back to.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

3.31/5  rDev -17.9%

A: [4.00] Looks like a Pale Ale should. Nice muted golden color. Forms 1 finger of white head. The head is tiny and tight on the sides but more fluffy and bubbly on top. The bottle lists the ABV (5.6%) and the packaged date 11/12/14.

S: [3.00] Mild malt smells. Nothing very prominent in the nose.

T: [3.25] The flavor is very neutral. A very mild bitter up front then a slight malt finish.

M: [3.50] Carbonation and mouth feel are right for the style.

O: [3.50] This is a beer you could transition someone from BMC to craft with. It has a mild taste but is slightly more complex with a little more bitter bite than a standard AAL. Most of the Sierra Nevada stuff I try I really love. This I only like. I just feel the beer is too neutral - no risks. No malty backbone. Barely above BMC.

4.76/5  rDev +18.1%

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

LOOKS: Poured aggressively into a Nonic Pint glass. Nice 2 finger, off white, foamy head. Lots of small bubbles streaming up the glass. Color is a clear amber-orange. Leaves a fair lacing down the glass.
AROMA: Floral sweetness and honey right off the bat. Pine and citrus/mild grapefruit rind. Lots of floral/jasmine here.
TASTE: Sweet and bitterness are nicely balanced here. Mild citrus and pine notes, this beer came in a winter variety pack and the beer is exactly three months past the bottling date. Probably would be a bit more flavorful if newer, same with aroma. But that is what is available.
MOUTHFEEL: Medium light body, not overly dry, not overly the middle. Perfect carbonation to this beer, prickly on tongue.
OVERALL: I think a super fresh bottle would pop a bit more, but this is still a great tasting brew. An easy drinking, pleasant brew that would appeal to a wide audience.

24oz twist off bottle poured into pint glass, no freshness date.

A: Pours a nice amber with a one inch off white head that fades into a cap rather quickly.

S: Big bready aroma upfront with hints of flora hops hinding in the back of the inital bread and biscut aroma.

T/MF: Lots of big biscut flavor upfront coupled with nice bubbly carbonation and a decent hop bite. Not quite as juicy as other APAs I've had (Alpha King for example) but this is a nice change of pace. Still I feel that the bread and biscut flavor dominates too heavily for my tastes, not quite as smooth and leaves a bit of a dry aftertaste.

D: I held this beer up against Alpha King because I wanted to know the differences, and boy are they evident. That being said this is still a very solid beer and one that I will always come back to.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.03 out of 5 with 11,485 ratings