Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Reviews: 2,949 | Ratings: 10,953
4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Pour from a 12oz bottle into a pint mug.

A- Pours a deep golden copper color with a thin off white head that leaves pretty good lacing.

S- Has hoppy citrusy smell. For some reason I want to say that there is a smell of carrots, but maybe thats just me.

T- Maybe a grapefruit sort of citrus taste with nice hop bitterness, and a little bit of malt sandwhiched in the middle.

M- Feels crisp and clean and finishes smooth.

D- A very drinkable beer, I could drink this beer all night.

3.97/5  rDev -2%

This golden-amber ale pours with a lacy white head and smells of grain, flowers, and citrus. The beer is smooth bordering on creamy with sweet bready malt flavor that finishes with citric hop backbone being revealed. Light body, easy to drink, pleasantly dry on the finish.

A - Pours an orange amber with good head and lacing.

S - Citrus, pine. Great balance of hops and malt flavors.

T - Love the smell of this beer. Citrus and pine. Floral notes are also present.

M - Perfect carbonation with a medium mouth feel. Good crisp feel.

O - This is my favorite beer. Great anytime of the year.

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Nice, clear medium gold with warmth. Thin white head that dissapates with time. Small amount of yeast at the bottom of the bottle does not seem to affect clarity.

S: Floral, fairly light American hop aroma. Could not detect much, if any, malt on the nose.

T: The hops are definately out in front, but not over-agressive. Nice citrus flavor and good bitterness. Has decent malt background, but it is definately overshadowed by the hops. Still, does not have the bitterness of an American IPA.

M: Mouthfeel is enhanced by healthy carbonation, but is not overwhelming.

D: The beer's greatest quality is its drinkability. It maintains enough of a malt base to be well balanced while showcasing classic American hops. A great example of an American Pale Ale, it's an easy beer to drink and appreciate every day.

4.63/5  rDev +14.3%

The hype is real this is the real deal. Its all that you heard from and more. This is the top notch example of the style.

Poured it in a pint glass and it cast a golden orange brew with a full beige crown. Full body, nice carbonation. Hops, citrus fruits, pine and caramel. On the palate is fairly the same as on the aroma. Crisp refreshing starts up a little dryish but then the hops and malts are loose and they linger on until the aftertaste in which the malts subside and they get replaced by a hoopy fruity aftertatse. Nice drinkability and superb balance.

A - Copper in color with a soapy white head. Leaves thin film throughout with mild lacing

S - Pale malts, light hop aroma

T - Sweet pale malts for sure up front and in body balanced with with a clean light hoppy finish. Clean. Some earthiness

M - Crisp, medium light body, smooth

D - Very easy to drink and could drink a lot of it. I enjoy this brew very much. It's always a good stand-by. I like that they put it in a bomber for a cheaper price...more incentive to buy (even tho i'm really paying more for less)

2.51/5  rDev -38%

I saw on Beer advocate that this was an A- so I was pretty excited, after tasting it I really couldn't see why. I also judge beers quite a bit on the balance of alcohol. I want it to be there but not so obvious, this beer did not mask its alcohol very mask it alcohol very well making it less enjoyable for me personally, especially considering it was only 5.6%. I think there is plenty of better stuff out there, but its not a bad beer.

4.57/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Don't drink it "ice" cold. That's not the way to enjoy it. It should be really cold, but not as cold as you can possibly get it. To bring out the light citrus taste and basic (as apposed to acidic) taste, you need to drink it at the right temperature. It has a very light feel to what many would believe to be a heavy beer. I don't understand the poor reviews. I know this company. They do it the right way. No after brew additives. Pure and clean ingredients and procedures from people who take serious pride in the method as well as the product.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

I love 'nevada. Currently one of my house beers, this stuff goes great with just about anything and is one of my house brews...

A- Who cares, its in the bottle. Label is attractive, no freshness date but I like that SN has kept the "micro-brew" look despite being the second-best selling craft beer, behind Sams. From draft it's a darker amber, but thats for another review.

S- Cascade hops and citrusey, that about all I can make out. My sense of smell is kind of shot.

T- Mmmm. I'll admit, when I first tried this stuff I was put off by its citrusey and almost piney taste. Now I'm hooked, although I would say that its definitely best between the time you take it out of the fridge and 20 mins thereafter. Sorry I don't have a thermo.

M/D- Yummy? Mouthfeel is pretty light, and I consider it highly drinkable stuff. Put it this way, I gave it a 4. I rate PBR as a 5 on M and 4.5 on D. Guinness is a 4.0 on M and 5 on D. Take it for what its worth.

Is it beer thirty yet?

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours dark golden, almost amber, into a pint glass. Thick ivory head stays and clings well.

Smell: Sweet malt and fragrant hops, an inviting nose.

Taste: Zesty hops reveal herbal and even fruity notes, very complex.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that finishes dry on the palate.

Drinkability: A solid ale, could have this again.

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

a: golden with sticky two-finger head, slight lacing

s: citrus, slightly flowery hops with a hint of sweet malt

t: the citrus balances the sweet malt, just a bit of hop bitterness on the way out

m: light body, medium carbonation

d: a great session beer, some flavor but not enough to deter from downing a sixer in one night

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Just a great overall beer. For 3 bucks for a 24 OZ it is such a solid session beer to enjoy after a long day. Great flavor, balance, just does what you would think an APA would. Something that I enjoy over and over, and definitely a beer that could introduce craft beer to someone else.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

This is one of my favorite beers. I have to pick it up every so often. I'm finally getting around to reviewing it.

A- Clover honey color with a 3/4 inch creamy white head that falls to just a creamy glaze on the surface.

S- Very hoppy with grapefruit and honey.

T- Sweet caramel malts up front beautifully transitioning in to a quite bitter brew with lots of hops and grapefruit taking the forefront.

M- Medium-light mouthfeel, that finishes dry.

D- I love this beer and is one of my most popular session beers. 4 in a sitting is perfect.

This was one of my first beers and still one of my favorites. GREAT pale ale.

4.44/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got my start on APA's and this one is a classic. Had lots of bottles but dare I say I like it even better on tap.

A- Copper orange/red color. Nice head and less retention than the bottle and lacing is very nice. Pretty.

S- Something else comes out on tap. A little earthier maybe? Great balance of hops and orange as well.

T- Likewise. Hops up front and malt balanced with orange and earthy floral notes.

M- Medium body, smooth and dry. Crisper on tap?

D- Super drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a coppery orange color, slightly hazy. Nice head dissipates fairly quickly, leaves nice lacing.

S: Hint of citrus and piney notes.

T: A piney hops taste is immediate on the tongue followed with a citrus bitterness. Not too brash, but a pleasing taste. Finishes with a light floral spiciness.

M: Lots of carbonation - crisp and refreshing but with enough body for a smooth swallow.

O: A classic. Great session beer. It's fairly well-balanced but with enough hoppy bitterness to make it complex and interesting. A very enjoyable drinking experience.

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

P - 25 Oz Bottle, day code stamped on front label.

A - Almost crystal clear golden honey color, huge off white frothy head with very sticky lacing.

S - Faint smell of malts & citrus to florals.

T - Theres nothing pale tasting about this ale! Instant rush of malty sweetness followed by a bitter finish.

M - smooth & creamy body with good balanced carbonation.

D - would create some mighty fine beer goggles..

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass straight from the fridge. Nice and cold.

A: Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Dark golden, just slightly hazy. Just a hint of haze gives it the appearance of depth without looking dirty. Medium head which fades down to a slim foam coating on top and lingers and lingers throughout the entire glass, leaving beautiful lace along the sides.

S: Floral, pine, citrus, slightly sweet. Beer, beer, beer. Scent really jumps out and tickles the nose with anticipation and enhances the smell throughout the glass.

T: Follows the smell, but without the big bitter bite you might expect from the aroma. And that's just to my liking. Pine is probably the dominant flavor here, but there's plenty of citrus and floral flavor as well, and some notable malty sweetness especially as the beer warms up. Dances on the tongue. Delicious.

M: Light and drinkable, but enough malt backing not to feel watery at all. I've had a sore throat the past few days and this has done a nice job coating it with its foamy malt goodness. Moderate carbonation.

Overall, this is what a beer should be. I could easily see myself drinking two of these a day for the next month and not getting a bit tired of it. Moderation is difficult with beer this good! Midwest Supplies sells a clone homebrew kit for this and I'm very tempted to buy it and see how that goes.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

3.89/5  rDev -4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Nice head with almost no lacing. First thing I noticed was the light copper color. She looks beautiful as the slight carbonation bubbles to the top. As with some of the lighter pale ales it's a little difficult to pick up a smell at first. Eventually you can pick up the citrusy yeast smell though its rather light. It's got great drinkability and at 7.99 is a great value.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Another very drinkable beer from this company, perfect for kicking back and watching a movie or whatever. A great flavor profile and just good all around.

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

I guess I'm more of a porter and brown ale guy, so this can be taken with a grain of salt.

It looks like a pale ale should, there's some yeast on the bottom of the bottle and the head stays for a bit.

The smell is hoppy, somewhat floral and citrusy.

Taste, that's where I just don't get along with this one all that well. I'd rather have a bit more malt presence, it's just too hoppy and bitter for me.

Drinkability, if I had to choose between this and a macro, I'd take this. But, if there was a SN Porter to be had, I'd be all over it.

edit on 10-3-04

I've raised my review score, since I've either started loving the hop, my tastes have changed or the fact that this is one of the few decent beers you can get around here on a night out and I've become more accoustomed to it.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

so yeah i eally enjoy seeing the little "floaters" hanging out in the bottom of this fine bottle conditioned ale. now i am not all that great about identifying the flavors i taste, so i will be simple here. it has this nice color about it when poured. looks like a penny to me. not a shiny penny but one thats been in your pocket a few times. and it has a nice white head that leaves a decent lacing. smells piney, citrusy and sweet, and it tastes just like it smells. not alot of carbonation that i can see, or taste, but what a fine beer. this beer is the one i would reccomend all people try who want to better there beer taste. simply put not too complex, but not simple at the same time. i love SNPA

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

This is one of those beers that you really have to fight yourself on as far as when to stop. I could easily kill a sixer of this without much thought. Pours a nice light brownish/red color with just a small bit of foam. The smell is very nice indeed, one of the best smelling beers I've ever had I think. It's got a very nice blend of hops and citrus, with the hops maybe taking a slight edge. Taste is also good, a bit citrusy at first and then very hoppy with a pretty smooth feel to it.

4.09/5  rDev +1%

A.very clear light white head with steady retention on the head

S. smell is light hop aroma not as strong as most pales that I am used to

T.the taste is nice light with small after taste of hops it is good for a light pale drinker

M. there is no bad taste in my mouth just pale ale

D.Very nice beer with any type of food or company good for a new beer drinker for ales

24 oz. bottle purchased 10/05/2010 in Easthampton, MA.

Appearance- N/A: Drank straight from the bottle over lunch (Complete faux pas, I know. My apologies to my brethren.)

Smell- Decent amount of potent hops, slight flowery notes, tinge of biscuity malts.

Taste- Sharply hopped. Hops predominate the flavor, good warmth for the fairly average ABV level. Good malt undertones. This is the brew that put Chico, California on the map. Flagship of Sierra Nevada, and always a good choice for a well-concocted pale ale.

Mouthfeel- Crisp. Hops linger around after the initial swallow. Very nice for the style.

Drinkability- Very good. I wouldn't drink more than a couple pints (24 oz. is perfect), but doesn't that often define a well crafted beverage? Very good pale ale.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.