Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale
4.03/5
Exceptional
Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Ratings: 11,371 |  Reviews: 3,038

4.09/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Sierra Nevada sets the bar for me. While I use Sam Adams Boston Lager as my benchmark, SNPA is probably the one I SHOULD be using.

Poured from a 24 oz bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Fluffy, khaki head on top of a copper body. The lacing is absolutely spectacular. Way back in 1987 or '88 I read the William Least Heat Moon essay on craft beer, "A Glass of Handmade," wherein he pointed out how good beer leaves lines on the glass. He was talking about Seirra Navada products. Nice.

The hops in the brew are evergreen-y. Balsam more than pine. Citrus in there, too.

Taste. One of my favorite beers. Hard hop hit up front, mellowing into a malty middle, with a yeasty finish. Floral undertone. A total taste experince.

Feels light and crisp up front, and rounds out near the end without ever becoming heavy.

Drinkability. Well, lets say I've had several evenings lost when I've gone into a bar to get "just one beer," only to find they have SNPA on tap or on special. I can drink this all weekend long.

Bottom line: If you're on this site, you already know how good this brew is. If it's not "the best" APA available, then it's sure damn near the top. Occasionally, I'll want someting different, APA-wise, like the excellent Great Lakes Burning River. But this beer Kicks Ass. And as a bonus, it's available everywhere!

Bob says go get some.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

3.56/5  rDev -11.7%

A- pours a golden brown with a good two-finger head that doesn't hang around too long. good lacing all the way down

S- not a whole lot going on here. little hoppy on the nose with a faint smell of malt and citrus. very faint aromas all around

T- hoppy and bitter at first that dissipates quickly with not much aftertaste at all.

M- best part of beer. light and crisp with a good balance of carbonation. sits on the palate well

D- good beer. unfair to compare with an ipa if you are expecting more hops. actually got better as the beer warmed a bit.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from 12 fl oz bottle into pint glass. Bottled on day 361 of 2010 (December 28?) I would prefer to review a fresher bottle, but this is what I have in front of me.

Appearance: A classic look. Thick soapy head that hangs around for awhile on top of a light golden body.

Smell: Not overpowering in the least, albeit slightly metallic.

Taste: Ahh, as good a pale ale as you will ever taste. Slight piney hop profile with a full body. I think I actually prefer the taste straight out of the bottle - habit maybe?

Mouthfeel: Full mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. Smooth operator.

Overall: Probably one of the most sessionable craft beers I have yet to come across. I could drink this all day. Again, a classic.

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.96/5  rDev +23.1%

A-Deep orange/amber body. Bright burnt orange when held to light. Off-white head with brown yeast swirled in is two-finger thick. Cascading lace. Near perfect, head could be thicker and/or last longer. Throw some glossy edging in there as well and the brew's appearance would be impeccable.

S-Pine, pine, pine! Caramel malt. Sweet. Musty. A natural funk that is acceptable in drink & food. Funky brown sugar. Citrusy. Orange upfront then lemons and limes follow.

T-Pine. Caramel malt. Bread. Citrus. Lemons and limes steal the show this time with orange supporting. Fresh hops. Some of the freshest you'll have in a beer. These hops bleed pine into the brew.

M-Medium body. The body tips towards a fluid feel rather than a chewy swish. Medium carbonation. The hops are of a medium spiced-pepper feel. The finish is a perfect bitter pine sensation.

O-Most likely the best pale ale around. Has been for decades. A pale ale explosion should occur in craft brewing so we can have super-multitudes to choose from like IPAs. But if not, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale will continue to do just fine.

3.99/5  rDev -1%

A few suspended particles away from crystal clear. Brilliant orange honey color, active bubbles, and decent foam retention along the top. Smells like a walk through a cool pine forest. Tastes piney and citrusy with a malty, biscuity finish. A biting mouth feel from all those bubbles. A quality, well-made APA that does it right.

3.82/5  rDev -5.2%

Paid $1.29 for a single bottle.

This is the classic pale ale. The quaffer/session beer for the rest of us. Good price, good brew, I'd keep this around if you're looking to get a bit tipsy for less than $7.00.

Other than that, it's really nothing special. Nice hops, but not fantastic. Not something to go for if you're looking for the unique brew. It's good, but nothing spectacular.

4.11/5  rDev +2%

Can't believe I've waited so long to review the infamous SNPA.

First pour of a 24 oz. bottle is crystal clear very light copper color with a white 2cm head and fabulous lacing.

Smell kind of falls flat on the nose.. I'm hardly detecting anything. It's only with a monstrous inhale that I detect a hint of grassy hops. Bummer.

Taste is where this beer really shines. Smooth bittering hops pave the way for a grassy hop flavor all balanced out by a nice malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is nice and fairly light like a proper pale ale should be. Little viscous and leaves behind a trace of hops.

I'm afraid I may have done irreversible damage to my taste buds by a constant thrashing of west coast IPAs, so I must admit this won't be a regular in my rotation. It lacks what I personally look for in a beer which is a lot of flavor, every time I take a drink. The first few sips were good, and then it started to get a little bland on me. BUT WITH ALL THAT SAID, this is a terrific APA. Hard pressed to find a better representation of the style.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.03 out of 5 with 11,371 ratings