Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Ratings: 11,482 |  Reviews: 3,054
3.6/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Light copper color with a thin white head and lots of streaming bubbles.

Aroma: Good hops and malt on the nose, nicely balanced.

Taste: Again, nice balance of malt and hops throughout the palate. Hops take over in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing. Somewhat tannic on the finish.

Drinkability: One of my favorite "go-to" beers. A classic American Pale Ale.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

This is the standard by which all American Pale Ales are judged. Some may be better, but this is the best seller, the one that has penetrated markets and contends for the title of King of Beers. The slight chill haze is easily excusable since SNPA is bottle conditioned. The aroma provided by generous amounts of Cascade hops is a quite evident spicy-flowery-citrusy, that pleases throughout the lace coated glass. A hint of sweet malt covered by some underlying bitterness provides excellent balance. Each swallow finishes with a crisp hoppiness that begs for more.This is a great session beer, not that I'm inclined for excess, you understand, that works for picnics, parties, and for those of you who understand, crab feasts.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a golden orange, with a decent sized white head that somewhat lasts, and laces quite well on the descent. Aroma is all about the cascades - floral, piney, citric...maybe a tiny hint of bready malt in the back. Flavor starts with a small bit of malt, and then come the beautiful flavors of the cascade hops, rolling all over the tongue. Medium bodied, extremely easy to drink - one of the best of the style.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

This is my everyday beer. The one I serve to indiscriminating family and friends. I try to keep some Bud on hand, too, because not everyone even likes Sierra. I like the bottled Sierra and choose it over any other mass-produced American beer. I consider Sierra a mass-produced beer at this point since they have grown so large.

The tap version of this is superior to the bottle, which led me to comment. It has a nice amber appearance in the glass with little aroma to speak of (Of course, I was drinking it in a place that was using a lot of fried onions.) I loved the taste. It has a very earthy taste to it. Lots of grain appeal. It gets better as you let it warm. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean, and you can drink a few of these without even realizing it. Genuinely, drinkable American mass-produced beer. It is not Sierra's best but it's hard here in the East to find any of their other beers on tap.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Finally had this beer on tap the other night at a great pool hall in the neighborhood and wow! This was much smoother on tap and the beer had a much more pronounced malt character than it does in the bottle. The floral hoppyness was still there, but in a much more balanced way. I had about 5 of these on tap and they went down so good I could have had 5 more!

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Golden copper in color rocky head. Aromas of sweet malts and spicy hops. Taste is fresh and piney, but perfect balanced between a mellow sweet malt backbone and cascading sapy hops. One of the most drinkable beers in existence and a fantastic gateway to good beer.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Very much like Newcastle Brown Ale but with a more heavily bodied experience, SNPA - like many pale ales - is only to be considered pale in comparison to stout. SN is nearly as dark as Newcastle, and has many of the same flavor characteristics as the famous Brown Ale. SN definately qualifies as a full-bodied ale with an almost nut-like finish. The texture is pleasantly palpable, and the first drop on the tongue has gentle a warming characteristic.

- Backdated tasting: I first reviewed this beer on 19JUN03, this post is based on notes from that review. -

4.52/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a nice light bronze color with a thick head. The aroma is extremely satisfying, huge floral and citrus tones excite the nose. The taste is big - hoppy, sweet, fruity, and smooth. The hops and citrus last long into the aftertaste. This is a perfect example of the ultimate drinkable beer. Continues to be a staple in the refridgerator for me. All american pale ales should try to emulate this.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

A bronzy color to this one. It left little or no head. the smell was somewhat sweet at first but became super hoppy.
This was an interesting beer. I found it to be rather meaty, if that is a word to describe beer. But I was sort of overwelmed. This is not normally like me. I can drink the hoppy brews with the best of them. I did like pale ale. It is something I will drink again, but I can't make this a daily drink. I'm a wierdo and a hippy.

4.06/5  rDev +0.7%

I will be honest, I can't tell the difference between this and Goose's "Honkers Ale". Smell (to me) is faint, I don't smell much. Color is clear light copper, no head to speak of. Taste has a touch of citrus, slight malt and a dry finish. Has a bit of a kick to it. Overall, a very good beer, one that I am really enjoying. I will buy again!

Appearance: Chubby little brown glass bottle, twist off cap, green and yellow label. Body is light bronze with white head, good retention and lace.

Smell: Bread, grass and a little sweet and very faint licorice

Taste: Big bread and grass flavors, some sweetness comes through but is quickly overtaken by the strong hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, goes down easy.

Drinkability: Easy to enjoy, a simple good beer. It doesn't impose itself and it isn't bland or boring, a perfect middle.

4.27/5  rDev +6%

This was one of the first beers I tasted that switched me into the realm of quality beers. ( I was a big Yuengling fan, I still think it's great for the price). It pours into a true golden color with a head that settles fast. It smells of hops but not overwhelming. It tastes oh so good. Bitter at first but it leaves me wanting more. Very high drinkability. My favorite brew, I can always fall back on this when I can't decide what to buy. Quality through and through.

4.54/5  rDev +12.7%

This beer is one of the reasons I got into expanding my horizons as far as new brews are concerned. What a treat. Full rich fruit hop aroma, lucious hop heavy fruit taste with a honey accent. Slightly sweet aftertaste lingered in your mouth like the aftermath of a sweet kiss, seductively calling you to indulge again. The blending here is pure art. This beauty will always have a place in my fridge

4.27/5  rDev +6%

Finally decided to reviewing this after many samples. Seems better in a bottle than on tap. Appearance is golden, with a small head and no lacing to speak of. Smells detected are the hops. Taste is excellent, nice smooth malt start with a big hop bite and a citrus finish. Very smooth yet full mouth feel. This is one of my old standbys. Had this coming of the golf course today-it was heaven!

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Medium gold color, medium head. Mild malts and hops. A hoppy, slightly malty pale ale. Full flavor. Good balance of hops to malts. Mouthfeel is smooth. Finish is crisp and clean. Aftertaste is bitter. The classic Pale ale. This is an excellent beer to drink ICE COLD on a hot summer day.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

One of my all time favorite beers, and probably the beer that sent me in search of other better beers. Deep deep yellow in colore, white pillowy head, and an aroma that is simply the perfect balance of hops and malt. The taste, just like the smell hops, malt, perfection. while not as complex as some other beers, SN pale ale is quite possibly the best session brew out there.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

quite simply a great american brew. when i lived in boston this was always my fall-back beer as you could seemingly get it everywhere. now that i'm back home in nj, it's a little harder to come by but appears to be more and more available at bars as time goes by. pours an awesome amber colour with a moderate head that is not very long lasting but leaves you with a nice lacing. smells of hops and wheat and adds hints of fruit and earthiness, all of which can be found in the flavour. quite along going on here for a standard pale ale. carbonation is just right. this is a perfect session beer and is quite often just that for me. a classic.

4.23/5  rDev +5%

On tap this beer looks much better. Its head sticks much longer and it looks much creamier.

The smell is a little more pronounced. The hops stick out a little more yet the malt is still there with a little spice to make it nice.

The taste seems more hoppier than its bottled friend. The hops are more pronounced and fresh.

The mouthfeel is pretty rich and creamy. The apperance of the head was nice and creamy and it reflects the mouthfeel.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

This was a very nice beer! It had a light orange color to it with golden highlights and a nice sized white colored head. Smell is mainly of citric hops. Taste first shows me the bready malt that provides the base of the beer. The hops come next and they dominate but are never too much. There seem to be different hops there including floral hops, bitter hops, but the main taste I get is citrus hops with orange seeming to dominate. A very good beer that I will buy more often.

On a scale of 1-5, this beer is a 10.

Just a wonderful beer, perfect color, perfect level of hops. I would drink this like water if it were socially acceptable...

It is available just about everwhere now, even at Rite Aid, which makes it even better. The perfect beer available just about everywhere.

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%

Considering how popular and how good this beer is it is surprizing that it's taken me so long to do a review.
I really like the mix of sweet floral and citrus hops with firm and steady malt base.
Tannnish/yellow fizzy but stable head that has good stamina and changes to a creamy look and presents lacing. Amber and clear.
Flavorful hop bitterness of citrus quality start to finish. Just enough malt base to support and lend smoothness to flavor. Fullness from carbonation, but leaves some softness too Ale smoothness that moves to fluffiness as warms.
A classic American beer.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

#6 in the all american spree.

I guess I was much so eager to try it that it was a bit disappointing.

Pours a clear, translucent orange with a medium head that fades and leaves some lacing and a thin coat atop the liquid.

The smell is very fruity and sharp with a good presence of hops in it. Very malty as well.

The taste, puh, very malty with lots of orange presence complimented with a back-of-the-throat bitterness, very strong. Perhaps a bit too sweet. Not very carbonated either.

An OK beer, made too much of it before trying it, but it's worth having more than once.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Now Quaffing: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

I am having a hard time stopping to type and start this review because I can't put this beer down. SN Pale Ale pours a nice deep hazy copper-gold with a nice thick, clumpy head. The aromas are clean and pure, a nice floral and hoppy (Cascade?) nose. The taste is what makes this beer stand out for me--an absolute redefinition of quaffable. The taste reflects the nose with a nice dose of hops, sweet malty middle, and some more hops in the slightly bitter finish. I wish I was more adept and describing my perception of this beer, but alas I will let it speak for itself. This is definitely my new 'session beer' and has a permanent home in my fridge (until I drink it and have to buy more of course). Much respect to the folks at Sierra Nevada!

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

I've been drinking this brew for years and it has maintained it's consistency over time. On draft or from a bottle it has a medium hue with a rich head and a good hoppy aroma. It is obviously very hoppy, so much so that it may scare aware some. To my taste it hits the spot any time of year.

Despite the hoppiness the finish is not overpowering but it does go better with stronger food. Once in a while this style will leave a bit of a soapy aftertaste and SNPA is not immune.

2.45/5  rDev -39.2%

Tastes like an overhopped macro. If your only complaint about Bud is the lack of hops, try this beer. If you like a full bodied beer with a strong malty backbone skip it. Very floral aroma, strong hop flavor, but not much else to it. American Pale Ales like this seem to much like a 1 trick pony. Try to back up that hop with some malt.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.03 out of 5 with 11,482 ratings