Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale
4.03/5
Exceptional
Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

firstprev| 11476-11500 | 11501-11525 | 11526-11550  | next → last
Ratings: 11,546 |  Reviews: 3,065

The thick, almost rocky, ivory - white head is well retained. It sits atop a very clear darker golden bubbly brew. Although the (ubiquitous in APAs) citrusy Cascade nose dominates the aroma, it is actually quite soft and pleasant. Not at all grapefruity, the Cascade hop nose is very appealing and clean. I've noticed dry hopping with Cascades leaves that "grapefruity" flavor/ aroma; Sierra Nevada uses a lot of late addition hops for aroma in their PA and doesn't dry hop. This brew is clean and well balanced all around. The assertive and clean hop bitterness dominates, but a firm maltiness manages to provide an adequate foundation for the hops. Yes. This is is the defining example for the style, although it's much better on tap.

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

It's a beer. Typical smell, bitter hop flavor. Not bad for the style. Unfortunately, I'm just not a big fan of the style.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

This beer has established itself as a 'staple beer' of those in America who take their beers at least a little bit seriously. It's right up there with Anchor Steam, although they taste quite different. Definitely a bitter hoppy beer. When I started moving past Bud Light, this was the beer that tempted me away.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

cloudy orange/golden color with little yeasties floating around. pours a thin head which sticks to the glass the whole way down. smells of those cascade hops....citrusy and moderately pungent. mouthfeel is fuller than expected and tastes wonderful. bitter hops and slightly bready with a bitter aftertaste. more depth than i was expecting too. very tasty!

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Very light copper with hints of gold.

Hop citrus nose up front. Taste is lemon/grapefruit; slight floral spice. Malt dryness kicks in at the finish.

This is a super-solid beer, plenty of complexity, easy to drink. Doesn't make the mistake that too many American Pales do by relying way too much on hops and hops only.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

The color is a pale gold with a frothy white head that diminishes rather quickly. Very hoppy ( not as much as Hopdevil which I also had ) , citrus, light sweetness, yeasty aroma. Flavor is citrus up front as well as bitterness, very hoppy, and moderately acidic.Finishes dry and bitter. Not as smooth as I would have liked but still a great brew!

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Revolutionary. Second to Sam Adams in availablity, second to none in quality. The definition of fall-back beer. Went perfectly with the slice of pizza I just had for lunch.

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Pale golden color, frothy white head that diminishes fairly quick. Hoppy, citrus, slightly sweet, some floral tones, yeasty, aroma. Flavor is citrus, bitter, hoppy, slightly yeasty and moderately acidic. Finish is bitter and slightly dry. Could have been balanced better. I would have like to have experienced more malt. Overall this is a good beer however it is not my style of beer. Too hoppy for my taste but I enjoyed it all the same.

3.64/5  rDev -9.7%

golden beer that foams to a thin lacy white head, no chill haze. Smells like citrus with a leaning towards grapefruit and faint elements of yeast. Clean crisp malt character and an aggressive floral hop taste upfront, with the malt dying down and the hops prevailing on the palate afterward. Slightly lacking in malt character in my opinion, which makes this beer slightly unbalanced with the hop bitterness and strong hop aroma.

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%

To my tastes, over rated...amber color, nice floral scent and a floral hop finish...an expiration date would be nice, since I'm never sure how much yeast I should expect in the bottle and unless you really know the demographics of your liquor store, you don't know how fast it sells...OK, Sierra Nevada Pale is good and complete (doesn't lack in taste or complex mouthfeel) and many people's idea of a Pale, I just like ones that ends on a chewy, fruity note...

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Considering what I had heard/read about SNPA, I was a bit dissapointed by my glass of SNPA (on tap). Clear, medium copper color, with a small fine head. Bitter hoppy nose. Medium-rough on the tongue, with medium body, at best. I tasted lotsa hops, but more on the bitter side....not smooth enough for me. Was it even a bit citrusy, or sour? I could drink a few, but not as good as expected.... may have to try the bottle-version of this and re-review....we'll see...

overall: 3.6
appearance: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 3.5

Like many others, I'm sure, this was the first Sierra Nevada I ever had, so there will always be a special place in my heart (and my fridge) for this fine brew. A great intro for those who are just getting into micros.

And by the way, this is one beer I recommend in a bottle rather than on tap.

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%

My steady bitter companion. Very consistent and reasonably priced for such a classic. I love the yeast sediment and floral hoppiness!

The gold standard for widely available American brews. This is the beer, after Sam Adams, that get many people to explore "better beers" and to educate the beer drinker as to what a hop is acutally supposed to be used for. Pours out to a nice, amber color in the glass with a decent head. Aroma is that of slight spice, malt and light hops. The malt to hop balance is incredible for a beer of this style and makes for a very tasty beer that isn't overhopped as many of the style are. Starts somewhat malty and finishes with a wondeful taste of hops. Sierra Nevada is an excellent brewer. The Pale Ale is a champ and a staple of my 'fridge.

4.76/5  rDev +18.1%

What is to say?!? The more I write the more I want to run to fridge to get another (just to make sure I am reviewing it properly). If you like ales, this is a fine one.

4.66/5  rDev +15.6%

Mildly sweet at start strong hops bitterness finish, enough malt keeps it creamy. Grapefruit-like aftertaste lingers, does not turn me off. Smells like the outdoors. I love seeing the sediment floating around in my glass.
Excellent brew.

4.76/5  rDev +18.1%

One of my favorite beers. I don't think it has lost anything years ago.

This is the beer that I keep on hand for those who aren't in to the more exotic. Clean, consistent and flavorful, with a significant hop bite to boot. And $12 per 12-pack won't break the bank.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

An American classic. Good fall back beer, or one to enjoy when a less complex brew is desired.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Great hops in the "API" style.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Maybe the best beer I've ever had out of a keg. no slouch from a bottle either, though. very nice.

firstprev| 11476-11500 | 11501-11525 | 11526-11550  | next → last
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.03 out of 5 with 11,546 ratings