Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Ratings: 11,281 |  Reviews: 3,026
3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Why im just not actually trying this, I have no clue.

Deep straw body with a huge frothy eggshell white head.

Honestly, the smell reminds me of Anchor Liberty. Slightly earthy and floral hops, with a hint of dank resinous pine (oh and theres even more dank). Light slick English malt is the difference. Marris Otter comes to mind, but I could be wrong.

Now this is a Pale Ale. Its like a perfect blend of English and American Pales. Slick English malt is a nice base for the hops to come out. The floral, slightly citric, and a dank hops go down a bit easier because of the mouthfeel. This is exactly how to use the signature SN hopping. Too much and it just gets to be a mess (reference my Hoptimum review).

I love the mouthfeel. I love how English malt feels, honestly. Its so slick and drinkable, yet still hoppy enough to fill a hop fix on a budget.

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is an orange-copper coloring with a thin, filmy, sparse white coating on the surface. Aromas of citrus sweet and herbal spicing on a roasty, caramel backbone. The beer is smooth and crisp in mouth, thanks to the carbonation and the hops bitterness. Flavors are roasted caramel and a touch of smoke in the backbone, supporting a resiny, bitter hops profile that highlights alongside a citrus blend of lemon and grapefruit. Very well balanced, with a bitter, slightly drying aftertaste that again showcases some of the herbal highlights. Smooth, drying finish with some of the bitter and spice left to linger until the next sip. As I said of the former Draught Style, this brew is a staple of the APA style. Very tasty, and very sessionable.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

2.96/5  rDev -26.9%

They make this beer sound delicious… but it's really not. I mean, it's a good beer. But it's not a great beer by any means. This is a beer that is for someone that doesn't understand what craft beer is but wants to fit in at a party. Sure, Sierra Nevada makes some good beers. But this is just middle of the road in my opinion. I am impressed that a brewery can have such a hold on the market and that when someone thinks of a "pale ale" he or she generally thinks of Sierra Nevada. Sheryl called this beer, "boring". Can't say I disagree. But I will give this beer my FULL attention this evening.

In the Glass: I am really digging the color. It's a thick, rich golden color and reminds me of an imperial pilsner. I have been hooked on the Odell double pilsner. Tastes better on draft, though. The head is a thin white later on the top of the glass that just sits there begging to be drank. With as much as they produce of this beer, finding it is the easy part.

Nose: The aroma is that of a pale ale… subtle hop character with a simple, yet satisfying appeal. The aroma is nothing to write home about, and if they didn't tell me they used only whole-cone hops in this, I would never have been able to guess.

Flavor: It's been a while since I have had this beer, but it tastes about like what I remember. Initially there isn't much going on, then the hops start to work. It almost reminds me of an early IPA, and as my palate has changed, the expectations of a strong, powerful beer have also changed. Very rarely will you see me order a pale ale. After the subtle IPA overtones, it settles to a typical pale ale finish leading to the somewhat disappointing aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is decent. It has an almost creamy character on the tongue, and shoves some subtle carnation to the top of the mouth. Then you swallow, expecting some of those characteristics to still be there… but they're not. I guess for a beer that costs a buck a bottle, you can't expect much in terms of complexity.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice, and while it sticks around for a few minutes, it dwindles from the second you swallow. It isn't as bitter as the book explains, but it's present reminding you that you are drinking a mouthful of hops.

This beer is decent at best. Since starting at Total Wine, I have been meeting a lot of people. Some are REALLY into craft beer, and others just want to get drunk on a Saturday night. This beer would be a good beer to introduce someone to that isn't into craft beer, but wants to understand what a hoppy, bitter beer tastes like. Sierra Nevada is a good brewery, but they have never released anything I feel was spectacular.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - The bottle says: "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a completely natural ale. There are no additives, only the finest malted barley, whole hops, brewer's yeast, and crystal-clear water. The fine layer of yeast in each bottle is a result of the traditional bottle-conditioning process that produces carbonation naturally."

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.