Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale
4.03/5
Exceptional
Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Ratings: 11,398 |  Reviews: 3,043

Pours a cloudy golden color with a thick, head that lingers around a bit and forms a nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is fruity and citrus consistent with Cascade hops. The taste is an excellent balance of citrusy hops and sweet malts. Mouthfeel is medium with good amount of carbonation. Easy drinking PA.

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

I'm new to the style, so I had no real points of reference with the beer but I'll give it my best shot.

A: Pours a very slightly hazy orange-amber, with a foamy 2-3 finger head that dissipates quickly. Little lacing on in the glass, and from what I could see, not very active carbonation.

S: First impression in the nose was fruitiness. Some orange or lemon peel. Very floral scent, and the hinted presence of hops. The smell is strong, but not overpowering. It remains quite contained.

T: Hops with a peel or floral follow and aftertaste. Aftertaste lingers a short while and my mouth was watering beneath my tongue for another sip. I couldn't put my finger on it before until someone else mentioned it but there is DEFINITELY pine in here too, for me it was strong in the aftertaste.

F: More carbonated than I thought by looking at it, medium to full bodied. Slight dryness. Very drinkable.

Overall: A great introduction to the style for me. My focus would be on Hefeweizens and Belgian Strong ales but this has definitely got me wanting more PAs and IPAs, as well as more Sierra Nevada in general. Highly recommended and would make a great summer relaxation beer. Great taste and complexity but highly drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

This is a great go-to beer, especially because it is often the only decent beer on tap at bars where you would expect to only find Bud, Miller, and Coors.

For what its worth, it has a pretty nice grassy taste and smell. If you're a real hophead, this won't do the trick, but I personally like it when I'm looking for a lower alcohol beer without stepping all the way down to something like, God forbid, a light lager.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.03 out of 5 with 11,398 ratings