Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Reviews: 3,006 | Ratings: 11,180
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured Pale Ale into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours dark golden with a full two fingers of pillowy white head.

S - Smooth hop profile with light roasted malt.

T - Mild hop flavors again, good malt backbone. Nothing overpowering or overdone.

M - Medium mouthfeel, with medium carbonation.

O - A fine beer to have one of or six of. Very close to a classic Pale Ale. Recommended! Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The classic APA. Pours a nice light copper color with a big fluffy white head that goes on and on. Aroma of pine, grapefruits, lemon peel, grass, more pine. Flavor follows with big pine bitter, a beautiful sweet caramel malt backbone, and a lemon peel finish. Lingering grass on the palate. Bubbly carbonation and easy drinking, slightly dry. Good stuff, of course.

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

S - Grapefruit and other citrus from the American hops. Slightly grassy. Slight malt aroma.

A - Clear beautiful gold. Cream colored, thick fluffy head with sticky lacing.

T - Citrus hop bitterness and flavor. Well balanced with a bready malt background. Hop flavor transitions to more grassy from middle to end. Very little malt sweetness produces a very clean profile. Dry finish.

M - Moderate body with medium carbonation.

O - A quality APA deserving of its reputation as true to style. Very drinkable.

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%

A medium-amber body sits below a nice finger-thick head that lasts a bit before settling to the sides.

A mild smell of fruity hops. Not bad but not quite as lively as some other pales I've had.

The taste starts with a citrus and slightly malty taste with a decent hop bitterness at the end.

This has a mostly lively mouthfeel, but isn't harsh. The bitterness that helps the taste takes a tiny bit from the mouthfeel.

This is drinkable as most decent American pales are. I have no problem having a few of these.

Overall it's a good beer, but there's at least a couple of local pales that are at least just as good (and possibly better) and I usually go local when I have a choice.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a medium Amber color. Has an earthy hop aroma with a malty presence. Flavor followed the aroma. Smooth to drink and a solid beer overall. Can easily drink several of these

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Not overly carbonated. Nice transparent brown color. The yeast on the bottom gives it a nice touch in this category.

Smell: Almost smells a bit like oranges to me. Well-spiced, malted, and hopped.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The yeast in the bottom can create a problem, especially if you drink this later in the day...it can give you a bit of a sore throat in the morning if you don't wash it down. Otherwise, taste is very pleasant. Kind of like cinnamon with a peppery bite.

Drinkability: Not the most refreshing beer, but that's not it's purpose. Would probably be decent with dessert.

Overall: I know this craft beer has gained a followig. While I would not rave about it, if you find it cheap, try it. Thumbs up.

pours golden orange with a 1 finger head that leaves spotted lacing

smell is mainly malt but also the hops are present citrus grapefruit with some earthy grassy notes

taste is very much the same - but the hops hit you first grapefruit mixed with the grassy hops then a finish a sweet malts

mputhfeel/drinkability is where is beer loses me - way to harsh - and too much bite and sting

i used to love this beer but boy do times change - it is still a solid beer but if this is the gateway beer i think the craft party might lose some after trying this

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This was my introduction to Sierra Nevada, and I have to say despite the overall lackluster taste I have been introduced to a brewery that has much better beers. I just wish I had bought Torpedo first, as this to me is far too similar to the standard macro-brews available. Perhaps if I ever have friends who need a beer to drink while over at my house this will be my choice brew, but otherwise this one won't be gracing my fridge again.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

First thing I noticed was the nice smell - orange peel like? It poured a nice head, and a very attractive amber/orange colour. And then on my first few sips the mouthfeel was a bit acidic, but that was maybe more to do with the strong alcohol - 5.6%. Once it settled down it tasted quite nice, with nice carbonation and flavour.

I cant help thinking it was better when I had it on tap in the united states. But it is still a good beer from the bottle - if a little too strong for a session beer.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

poured into my mickey mouse pilsner( its great don't knock it)
shade darker than than straw pale, inch of clingy white head, good lacing
piney hop smell
piney hops on the tongue too, bit of malt in the back, goes down well, classic beer, the be all and end all of session beers IMO

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's hard to rate such a sentimental favorite, which was probably my introduction to what I now consider "good" beer and serves as the benchmark I use to rate other beers. But since I'm well stocked on it at the moment... The citrusy hops aroma and flavor and crisp, bitter finish set the standard for west coast pale ales. The only bad thing I can say about it is that I've consumed so much of the stuff that it can get a little boring. But if I haven't had it for a while, when I finally do it's clearly a great beer, a true classic.

Most beer drinkers can probably agree that this beer's most important quality is its availability. I love that you can get it all over the country, and it shows up all the time in crappy bars where I'd otherwise have to fall back on well drinks.

edit: trying to calibrate my scores, having trouble keeping it all internally consistent

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

pours up good looking golden brown, nice white head. definite hop spicyness in the nose. also some subtle malt. there's a little bit of citrusy hop smell too. also taste of hop bitterness for sure. pretty light bodied, medium carbo, easy drinking, great session pale.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Well I finally got around to this American classic. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great, above par in every category, but I couldn't drink more than a few of these. Can't really say anything about this that hasn't been said before, good for the style, but nothing to write home about. A must try for any connoisseur of the cold ones.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Orange colored with a slight head when poured into my glass. I like the smell of citrus and obvious hop action. the taste is just alright to me though, I like pales and ipa's for that matter but this one just didn't hit it home for me on taste. I feel like there was something off or just something in it that I didn't like. Anyways a good beer that I will drink again someday down the road.

A - Clear golden color with 2 finger of puffy white head that sticks around

S - Citrus (orange and lemon) and hopes. Almost a slight sweet caramel note

T - Crisp with some orange flavor plus lemon peel with floral and spice notes.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Pretty decent. Personally I found several other pales more drinkable but this is a good stand by and usually readily available.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

i have had this beer on and off over the past few years. very good and easy to find. pours your typical medium orange color. smells citrusy hops but mild. very pleasant flava and feel. this is a pale ale that should be tried!

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear orange amber into a snifter glass with a rising head of nearly three fingers. Some sediment visible. Retention is average and the suds manage to leave a small ring of lacing on the glass.

Faint grapefruit and pine, some hawthorn berry notes with a caramel malt back bone. Nothing really stands out.

Caramel and bready malt with some grainy flavors before shifting to a pine resin and grapefruit hoppiness. Not too intense but with a lingering bitterness and slick grapefruit on the tongue.

Average body with adequate carbonation. Sticky malt leaves a coating for the hops to act on while remaining bitter and attempting to dry.

The pale ale that is the standard to which many are judged. Sierra Nevada really puts out a good, consistent product. That being said I remember being floored by this pale ale when I first got into craft, it was like a mini IPA, but times and tastes have shifted. A good, always available starter beer that I wouldn't turn down.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a light orange color with a 2 finger head that hangs in through half of my SNPA trip and leaves a lace all the way down. Smells of hops and a light woody smell that gets your mouth watering. The taste is initially crisp with a taste of bread and tons of hops that is characteristic of S.N. It has a light bodied mouthfeel and this is a beer that I could drink a few of these bad boys. Cheers!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a nice copper color with a thick head. Slight residue gets left on the glass.

S-The smell is good with the hops dominating with a hint of floral notes.

T-Taste is smooth with the hops standing up and begging for attention. Not really terrible that a none-hophead can't enjoy it's wonders. Not real malty or it might just be overpowered by the hops however there is a nice hint of citrus and flower to even out the brew. More bread-like malt flavor as it warms.

M-Mouthfeel is medium with an upundance of carbonation. Crisp and dry.

D-This is a great beer to sit around with and have a few. Alcohol content is higher than normal but not overly so which means the evening won't have to end too soon. One of the better APA's out there that really has become the standard for other breweries to follow. A great step to work your way up the hop-ladder to the big IPA's out there.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

a surprisingly good beer when it sits. i've had this before and it wasn't so promising. this has been sitting around for about six month and spread the hop range. nice citrus... not astringent but a nice mild apple and grape along with the floral clean palate in the finish. although the carbonation is sufficent... the malt is too lean for the yeast quality and it has a fingernail yeast flavor. although its extremely easy to find.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a couple bottles of this before the Reds game at Game Day Sports Bar just down the street from Graet American Ball Park, Cincinnati.

I poured the bottle into the 16 oz plastic cup to produce a 1" off white head over an amber colored beer. The head dissipated to a thin cap over the course of drinking this beer... lacing.... somewhat (even on a plastic cup).

The aroma was of floral hops with a bit of a sweet/malty profile in the background.

The taste: fairly good. Good hoppy taste but not overbearing. The malt came trough to balance this out.

Mouthfeel: nothing offensive hear. appropriate carbonation and not too thick... a good "gateway beer".

Drinkability: decent beer, best I could find at Game Day... nothing special. I'm sure that I'll have more... wouldn't turn one down....

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured a pale gold that was strongly orange-hued. Also had a huge frothy head, very little carbonation, and a lil' bit o' lace. Smelled of fresh hops and clean malt, but mostly hops oil. Also had some clean and easy scents of grapefruit, all faint and moderate though. Did I mention the hops. Taste is a pleasant refreshing bitter with a soft golden malt underneath. The yeast imparted an earthiness and combines with bitterness; the flipside is that the yeast creates not the best finish. With a smooth watery mouthfeel a touch viscuous from all those hops, this beer has great drinkability. In all a simple quality pale, in fact, the classic.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. 5.6% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into snifter.

Look: Translucent golden color, with white lacing present.

Smell: Smells of fresh tropical fruit, hops, and pine.

Feel: Smooth and carbonated, balanced out.

Taste: Just like fresh tropical fruits, with some wheat and hop flavors throughout, and counteract each other nicely. The aftertaste is grainy, and reminded me of saltine crackers.

Overall: My first American Pale Ale style of beer. I usually stay away from IPA's, because of the high bitterness, but decided to try this, to get introduced into the style of bitter beers. I was pleased by how it wasn't overly bitter, and how the ingredients weren't covered by it. I did enjoy it, and am eager to try some more of the same style. Recommend to those who wish to get into IPA's, but don't want an extremely bitter beer.

3.69/5  rDev -8.9%

This is the beer that started it all for me (and I'm sure many others). Before Sierra Nevada came into my life, it was all Busch Light and natty for me. But now I have seen the light and honestly opt for different (better)beers these days.
Anyway, it poured a nice reddish amber into a pint glass with only a slight head. The hops kick is nice, but not wuite enough for me. There is the regular citrus notes and the biting aftertaste associated with the style. I could (and have) drink a dozen. Basically, thank you Sierra Nevada for showing me the light.

3.69/5  rDev -8.9%

This is a great every-day beer. Always worth the price to grab a half rack of Sierra Nevada for the weekend. Consistant and clean, nice and hoppy with good flavor balence and highly drinkable. Can't go wrong with this beer for a sessions beer. As close to a marco/micro beer as you'd wanna go.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.