Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierra-nevada.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Reviews: 2,990 | Ratings: 11,133
4.41/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Much better from a bottle than a keg on my palate.
My fishing companion.
Great heavy end all day beer.
I don't really order it on tap though.
It's less bitter and usually less fresh for me due to less hop and about the same body, maybe something else.
I've heard there are different recipes used for the bottles and kegs.
So I'm rating from the one I like better.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Sierra Nevada- what can I say that hasn't been said?!

Pours a golden brown with a little white head. but that's o.k cause it has a heavenly aroma- citrus.
The taste is amazing, slighty bitter with a crisp malty flavor.
This is the beer you go to when your bar offers only macro crap.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is, hands down, 1 of the best overall beers out there!! and that's a bold statement!!

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

The beer that essentially led me here. SNPA is perhaps my all-time favorite old standby, and for good reason... I just don't know why it's taken me so long to review it. The pour is a light copper with a nice sized bubbly off-white head. The smell is great and features lots of hops, citrus and some yeasty notes. The taste is huge on the hops at first, especially for an APA. This beer is fairly carbonated for the style, and it shows in the mouthfeel, which is rather prickly. To me, this is a very easy drinker and is the trendsetter in the APA style.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Kind of funny that I have not reviewed this one yet, I guess when you are always trying to seek out new beers you forget about the everyday beers out there. Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a two finger off white head. After it dissipates it leaves a bit of lacing and a thin froth on the top. Slight pine and dried hop leaf aromas with a bit of estery fruit in the malt. Nicely balanced malt and hops with a medium body good carbonation due to the bottle conditioning. A nice lingering hop bitterness that makes its presence known but is not overpowering. Funny how tastes can change, when I was younger and new to beer this beer seemed so bitter to me now after years of drinking what seems to be hoppier and hoppier beers this one barely registers. To me this beer is important in the same way that beers like Sam Adams Boston Lager are important. They were pioneers in the craft beer scene, they are good benchmarks for the style and maybe more importantly, they turn new beer drinkers on to craft beer. A great American Pale Ale.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Clear golden orange with a 2 finger off whitish chunky head that mellows into a resinous foam cap that leaves patches of bubbly laces down the sides. Beautiful, like looking at clouds.

Floral and Citrus hop notes over a caramel bread malt.

Sharp citrus and floral notes on top of a nicely balanced caramel bread malt foundation. Spicy resinous hop oils that build a nice drinkable bitterness.

Smooth, medium bodied, crisp, well carbonated.

My favorite standby Pale Ale. A great west coast hoppy pale ale. Love them cascade hops. One of my gateway craft beers, and still one of my favorites.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours dark golden/amber color. Thick off-white head stays and holds well.
S: Smells of sweet malt and fragrant hops
T: A nice balance between the sweet malt and the bitterness of the hops. Tasted hints of citrus hops as well.
M: Medium body with a perfect amount of carbonation.
D: An excellent APA that I will definitely buy again.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

I've seen this a million times but never tried it. Decided to go for it this afternoon due in part from the endorsement from a liquor store manager.

Pours a hazy, golden with bright white two finger foam.

Smells slightly floral, slightly wet paper.

Taste is a nice mix of citrus and floral hops. Blended perfectly.

Very refreshing beer. Light and crisp without feeling too thin or watery.

I would recommend this to any BMC drinker as a gateway beer. Good without blowing your face off.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured light golden amber color into a pint glass with 1" of head that disippated quickly into a tight white lace around the edges of the glass.
The aroma of the brew came across as hoppy with spicy and citrusy undertones when consumed. It has a smooth mouthfeel with very little aftertaste.
I would recommend this beer and seeing that it is one of my fave's, I drink this beer all the time. So bottoms up!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This had a very nice gold color poured from a 12 oz. can with a barely off white head rocky head that dropped off quickly. Also visible was a lot of of carbonation with bubbles just a popping.

The smell was just a real clean smell of hops, with a punch of lemony citrus.

The taste was a great balance of that punchy smell of hops with a nice balance of a back bite of malt notes.

Overall this beer really struck me as a high quality brew that has a lot of craftsmanship going into its production.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

This is one of my favorite beers. I have to pick it up every so often. I'm finally getting around to reviewing it.

A- Clover honey color with a 3/4 inch creamy white head that falls to just a creamy glaze on the surface.

S- Very hoppy with grapefruit and honey.

T- Sweet caramel malts up front beautifully transitioning in to a quite bitter brew with lots of hops and grapefruit taking the forefront.

M- Medium-light mouthfeel, that finishes dry.

D- I love this beer and is one of my most popular session beers. 4 in a sitting is perfect.

This was one of my first beers and still one of my favorites. GREAT pale ale.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

This was an excellent ale that poured a clear deep yellow with a good head that dissolved to lace rings.

The aroma was beautiful, of tangy bitter hops and pine and cedar notes. It drew me toward the first taste.

The taste was very bitter, with pine and grapefruit overtones. There was no prominent maltiness. It was very dry and excellent.

I highly recommend this one.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

This is the standard by which all American Pale Ales are judged. Some may be better, but this is the best seller, the one that has penetrated markets and contends for the title of King of Beers. The slight chill haze is easily excusable since SNPA is bottle conditioned. The aroma provided by generous amounts of Cascade hops is a quite evident spicy-flowery-citrusy, that pleases throughout the lace coated glass. A hint of sweet malt covered by some underlying bitterness provides excellent balance. Each swallow finishes with a crisp hoppiness that begs for more.This is a great session beer, not that I'm inclined for excess, you understand, that works for picnics, parties, and for those of you who understand, crab feasts.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

A- Unreal golden color with a crisp white head.

S- Smells citrusy with a hint of hoppyness and caramel.

T- one of the best tastes delicious, citrus, caramel, hops, flowers, grass, very sweet with a almost sour but delicious after taste.

M- smooth mouth feel goes down smooth creamy to the tongue.

O- Overall one of my favorite beers from tap and bottle. I recommend this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Pours a nice amber with fluffy white head, good lacing. Head simmers down to a frothy layer.

S - Nice combination of floral and piney hops, with a sweet biscuit background. Definitely makes you want to start drinking.

T - Quite a bit of clean floral hops up front, I'd say it's hop forward for the style. Clean malt background, somewhat sweet with a biscuit malt quality.

M - Very nice, solid medium body with tight carbonation.

D - It's my "go to" beer, always a 12pk available in the fridge. Good for spring and summer, or anytime really. Balanced and easy to drink.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Probably my favorite anytime beer. Poured from a bomber into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Beautiful. Pours out a rich slightly hazy gold/copper with an off-white head that holds up nicely and leaves a nice lacing.

Smell: Citrus, piney, floral hops, with just enough malt to balance it out.

Taste: Almost exactly like it smells with some notes of grapefruit and grassiness. The bitterness is very nicely balanced by the somewhat sweet maltiness in the background.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp and refreshing. Finishes clean.

Overall: Nothing about this beer really pops out and makes me go "wow", but by no means is that a bad thing. What I love about this beer is that everything is very balanced. It's a very easy to drink beer, but still has plenty going on to make for an enjoyable experience whether out with friends or just sitting down to a well prepared meal.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

This is the staple of the frisbee cricut, always availabe. Once I showed up to a tournament this weekend my friend had one right away for me. I would always take a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada when I would go on the road to a tournament. Anyways the look of the beer has a dark amber color, little foam that disappears quickly. Smells of hops and some fruit good smell overall. The taste is very hoppy and fruity, excellent taste. The feel is smooth with carbonation, good wetness. The drinkability is very good, with an extra sweetness at the end.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

One of my all time favorites;
Aroma: Extremely floral and spicy, but not to overtake the malts. Complex and refreshing, even to the nose.
Appearance: Deep golden, excited from the carbonation. Nice white head, containing loosely laced bubbles.
Taste: Floral and spicy nose. High hop flavoring pronounced in the body. Medium bodied, cut nicely by bittering. Leaving mouth nicely coated. Finishes a bit dry, but not to offend. High bittering at the end.
Aftertaste: All the pleasantries of the taste without complete drying, tackiness, or metalics.
Impression: Absolutely refreshing, a bold and exciting beer. One that can be drank from sun-up to sun-down and any time of the year. One to stock the fridge with.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Obviously I have had many SNPAs in the past, and in fact I would say Sierra Nevada was my gateway into craft beer, but I'm just now getting around to reviewing it myself. Sierra Nevada really fits the bill, setting the bar for other APAs with a beautiful, lustrous amber hue and two-finger, bubbly white head. The lacing sustains throughout. The aroma is floral and citrus with the hops coming through nicely, and the taste is not harsh at all, just enough bitterness to tease the tongue, and a nice hoppy finish (not overpowering). I've always admired the balance in this beer, and the carbonation is moderate but present. Overall, this is a standard for APAs, a really solid brew.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

One of the best beers that is consistently available wherever I find myself. This is in my rotation of twelve packs I pick up, and they don't last long. The short neck, colorful green, and mosaic of rolling hills makes it stand out from most other beers. Overall, a must get. Though their Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA is even better.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

A- Pours a copper-amber with a thin slick of a head. A wee bit of lacing, but not much.
S- Smell is pale malt and some hops, which manifest themselves in green apple, light citrus and pine aromas.
T- A good balance of pale malt and fruity hops. Good hop presence, somewhere between grapefruit and pine. I'm sticking to green apple peel as the primary flavor I'm picking up.
M- Medium body, medium-high carbonation.
D- The quintessential APA. Refreshing and easily drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

I've enjoyed this beer for years now, but thought it deserved a review regardless; should have done this a long time ago...

A: A beautiful golden orange, superb clarity, medium lacing and head retention.

S: Smells SO yummy, lots of hop aroma, citrus and pine dominate the nose, with a hint of earth on the back end.

T: Great hop flavor with not a lot of bitterness. Citrus/grapefruit tastes, along with a solid malt backbone, a perfectly balanced pale ale in my opinion.

M: Perfectly carbonated, medium to full body, wet.

O: One of my favorite, if not THE favorite "commercial" (larger brewery) pale ales, keep up the great work SN!!

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

coppery golden in the glass, swirled the last few drops in the bottle and poured it in the glass hefe-style, just in case any yeast was clinging to the bottom of the bottle. pillowy white head that could have stuck around a bit longer. bright clingy lacing.

aromas of fresh, grapefruity hops, orange/lemon peel, and an earthy, fruity, yeasty, damp soil scent lurking subtlely in the background.

mouthfeel is thin but not watery. very refreshing.

the flavors were all cascade hops up front: citrusy, juicy, and flowery. some malt came through in the middle but not enough to draw attention away from the hops. the almost wheaty malt and tangy, fruity yeast came back in the finish. loads of fresh hop flavor with enough bitterness to contrast the fruity, earthy, wheaty tastes.

a beautifully structured beer, perfect for the warmer weather. the bitterness here is only one of many flavor elements that build to achieve an effect greater than the sum of its parts. a true masterpiece that also happens to be widely available. i shied away from this beer in the past fearing that the bitterness would be overpowering and that the beer would lack character, but i am pleased to say my fears were unfounded. also great with a farmhouse cheddar and a loaf of real wheat bread.

cheers,

s.d.

Poured into pint glass.
A darker golden color with nice foaming head that did lace.
Smell of hops and then some lemon and grass, maybe a pinch of ginger.
A good taste. Balanced (or should I say imbalanced) just right for a PA. Hops are the main note, with malt and lemon in the background for body. Nothing special on the mouthfeel, but that's good anyway.
Easy drinking, dangerous...can drink several without thinking of it.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

A beer that I must say I really love. Pale Ales are one of my favorites and this one does not disappoint! Pours to a nice golden color with a small bubbly head. Small amount of lacing diminishes quite quickly and leaves you an excellent tasting brew! The smell is a somewhat strong hint of citrus and hops making you want to dive right in! The taste is dry and hoppy with a good deal of carbonation. One of my favorite beers of all time, one that I can drink regardless of the season!

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Slight citrus note to the mainly hoppy aroma. Excellent balance between the hops and malt with a subtle but present caramel flavor. Hazy, golden color, short-lasting head. Lighter color and greater hoppiness distinguish this from English-style pale ales

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.