Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale
4.03/5
Exceptional
Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Ratings: 11,465 |  Reviews: 3,050
3.44/5  rDev -14.6%

A - Deep clear copper color, 2 finger fluffy white head that dissipates pretty quick, nice chunky lacing.

S - Not outstanding. Rather subtle aroma. Has an herbal, spicy, floral nose. Nothing leaping out.

T - Crackers, spicy floral hop bite, and a long bitter finish round this one out. More pepper floral tats lingers after the finish. I remember this beer slightly sweeter, maltier, little citrus and floral notes. It isn't there on this one. The bottle is fresh so I'm not sure, if I revisit and it changes I'll update.

M - Crisp, sharp sting on the tongue from the carbonation and a slightly dry and crisp finish.

O - I remember this being sweeter, more citrusy, floral and better. The bottle is fresh this just didn't grab me like I remember it once did a few months ago. Straight forward pale ale, a solid go to in the right setting, but not something I see myself seeking out over other options.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

3/14/07
(On tap at the Flying Pig Pub- the bar that is attached to Lucille's BBQ in Victoria Gardens, Rancho Cucamonga, CA)
After drinking a lot of Sierra Nevada lately (mostly when there isn't something more interesting on tap) I've come to realize this actually is a very good beer. The appearance is actually about as good as I think a pale ale could be (along with BJ's Piranha Pale Ale). The smell is fairly standard, and the taste has a very nice citrus burst at the beginning, followed quickly by pine which causes a short lasting bitterness after the sip. It is so light for a pale ale yet has such great flavor that the drinkability is outstanding.
4.5/4.0/4.5/4.0/4.5
___
7/22/06
I use to think this was the best beer I could ever have. After having other pale ale's I've found out that there are better out there, but this one certainly isn't bad. I feel like this lacks just a bit in the malt backbone it needs. It's got the hops there in good quantity but the extra little bit of complexity is missing. It's still good, and I actually see a lot of people drinking this out of the bottle which I just don't understand how they enjoy it that way.
4.0/4.0/4.0/4.0/4.0

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Lots of numbers and things printed on the bottle. Don't know what they mean, but I would suspect this beer is about 4 months old, based on the store.

A - A hazy but clear amber body with touches of rose around the light. Small white head lingers a bit

S - Mild citrusy hops, light sweet malt. Small nose.

T - Bitter citrus hops are the thing here, but that's not overpowering. It's also got a nice simple malty backbone and its a good balance.

M - Medium-thin body, fairly smooth. Decent

O (D) - This is a good tasting beer that is not mind blowing in any way, but it's very good and very drinkable, and I find it to be rather sessionable. A great beer year round for sure.

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a nice golden, straw color. Great carbonation from the pour. Very nice head that lingers quite a bit.

S: Rather neutral smell. Smelled some lighter malts and a faint citrus odor.

T: Awesome taste. When I had this recently, this beer conjured up memories of why I started to like craft beer in the first place. It really sets the standard of what a great beer should taste like.

M: Very good to great. Goes excellent with a variety of dishes/food or quite simply by itself. I find myself really forcing myself not to drink this beer too quickly...a tip of the hat to the mouthfeel of the beer.

D: I really enjoy this beer. Not something I would want to drink a half a case of in a night, but it's definitely a solid beer I would buy time and time again.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

I usually pick this up in bulk at Costco or Sam's Club. I just realized I have never done a review for it so I decided I would do one.

Appearance- amber color, thin head

Smell- First thing to hit was the malt then I got some piney hops.

Taste- subtle hop flavor, some malt

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- This is a very good pale ale. It is Sierra Nevada's flagship beer and probably the beer I drink the most because I buy it in bulk. I always have a case of it at my house. Highly recommended

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz bottle. Paired with a good burger.

Decided to order an old reliable and try this one for the first time in a long time. Pours a beautiful, super-clear, deep gold, with a thick, very sticky off-white head. Smells like hoppy and malty goodness. Excellent malt on this one, tight and sweet. Suitable for the moderate and excellent hop bitterness. Very good balance. Easy to drink, and one of the important & best American beers.

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Another one of my favorites, revisited it recently. I think it is the standard for American Pale Ales. Looks very inviting with orange/yellow color and off white head. Perfect hoppy smell matched with the fruit and florals. The taste is maybe on the hop side for some, but I find it perfectly balanced, flavorful, and refreshing. SN always produces a quality product, and this one is readily available. This matches well with all foods, and I recommend it to newbies like me.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Amber, frothy white head, which persists, nice bubbles from the bottle.
Aroma of grapefruit, caramel, marmalade.
Big malt hit initially, with citrus & lychee, followed by caramel, with the bitter finish. It's a like a parade in your mouth.
The overall effect is one of finely-tuned balance.
For me, this beer was becoming mythical.... so much good written about it, but I couldn't find it in Australia. Finally, I came across it, at the excellent Leura Cellars. One of the best Pale Ales I've ever had.

3.16/5  rDev -21.6%

Had this tonight at the business get together. Wasn't sure if it was an English pale ale or an APA when I was there, so I figured it was an English pale ale because it tasted very malty. It had a good look to it: dark amber color with a decent, white head that retained throughout the beer. Smelled very malty; did not notice any kind of hops at all. Tasted malty as well; once again, no hoppy traces even noticed in the aftertaste which led be to believe that it was an English pale ale. A pretty nice mouthfeel; pretty thick, similiar to a Sam Adams in regards to mouthfeel. A good, drinkable beer, but did not taste like a good APA; I would have expected at least a little bit of a hoppy taste, at least to balance the malt, if I knew it was an APA when I was drinking it.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Reposting review from hacked account (jmkratt) :(

I don't know how many SNPA's I've had through the years, time for a review. The beer when poured from bottle to a pint glass pours a golden color with a bit of haze and a nice 2 finger slightly off-white head. Good retention and some lacing. The aroma is an earthy hop pine and grass with some fruity esters in the malty sweetness. It's well balanced between the malt and hops in flavor with a medium body and solid carbonation. A nice subtle lingering hop flavor on the tongue. Pleasant. One of the APA's to beat, standard setter.

3.99/5  rDev -1%

From a bottle. A re-review after a few years without having one.

Appearance: Nice dull gold with a white head.

Nose: Very floral pine notes with sweet candied lemons and caramel.

Taste: Very clean and straightforward flavors. Crisp juicy citrus first with perfectly balanced malts. The finish is floral and sweet.

Mouthfeel: Nice, but I'd like a bit more body.

Overall: It's a classic and something you can always rely on.

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.03 out of 5 with 11,465 ratings