Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale
4.03/5
Exceptional
Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Ratings: 11,398 |  Reviews: 3,043
3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Considering this beer is distibuted more widely than many other beers rated on this site, I'd say it's pretty darn consistent. This being said, I still gave it a strict review. I have always respected this beer and would drink it over many others of its style. It's one you can come back to and one that you can find more easily than the rest.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pint on draft at Hella Good in Portland, Maine.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, amber/gold type color with a short, frothy white head.

Aroma: Clean and fruity. Some pine and hop. Maybe apricot, grapefruit.

Taste: Follows nose. Really a terrific pale ale - pops with fruity flavor and hops without being even slightly overpowering. Grapefruit's there, some more citrusy taste is there. Faint winey type note.

Mouthfeel: Super drinkable. You just want to drink this all day.

Overall: A classic beer. Template for a lot of much more expensive beers, and it's better than most of them.

4.61/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank at Catraio, Porto.

A: The body is crisply crystalline with a one-finger thick white head. There's lot of lacing and retention. Going back to the body, it's yellow perfect appearing to be almost a pilsner.
S: The aroma has hints of banana and citrusy profiles. It's very soft.
T & M: Can you imagine an awesome IPA with citrusy, kind of hoppy and mostly tropical flavors? Basically it's that but it lacks the bitterness in the end. It's soo great, it seems a beer made in heaven.
O: It's my first Sierra Nevada and I'm totally stoked. It's now clear to me why this beer is classical, it's really a higher product.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

3.79/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 24oz bottle.

Bright orangish amber with a small white head that sticks around leaving light lacing.

Has that west coast floral/piney hop aroma with some malt and grains underneath.

Also tastes like what one would expect a west side PA to taste. Dry and very hoppy with just enough malt to bring balance. The moderate carbonation is in line with a medium mouthfeel. Long dry finish that lingers but doesn't wear out its welcome.

A very drinkable brew that ,IMHO, sets the bar for west coast PAs. If you like Liberty Ale or Two Hearted, give this one a try.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clear amber with a huge, foamy off-white head. Head falls very slow. Big sticky lace.

Rather clean smell, must be too cold yet. Flowery hops come through.

Nice taste. Wonderful hops, not too strong with a good malt base.

Medium bodied in the mouth, average carbonation and a mild bite.

Easy drinking, thirst quenching classic beer. Always enjoyed.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.39/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

welcome to ontario SNPA! 355ml bottle into nonic pint glass. bottled march 25, 2015. consumed on may 14, 2015

a: clear light amber with a finger of off-white head

s: biscuity malt up front followed by piney, floral, and grapefruity hop characteristics. hints of hoppy spices and oranges. extremely pleasant

t: a piney floral presence at first, but quickly leads into big biscuity malt flavours with subdued grapefruit, lemon, and orange notes, as well as touches of spice coming from the hops. moderate bitterness at the end

m: medium-minus body, with moderate carbonation. excellent

o: a modest but delicious, solid, and enjoyable ale

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My 1st review on BA. I recently ditched the world of macros and entered the world of crafts and micros. SNPA was one of the 1st beers I tried, and my 1st APA. The 1st 6 pack I drank was an enlightening experience.

The first taste I took I was almost floored by how much hoppiness and general flavor this beer had. A tad overwhelming at first (to a macro-head, which is what I was). By the 3rd one, I began to LOVE this beer. When the 6 was gone, I drove back to the store at mach 3 to pick up a 12 pack (and was glad and surprised SN makes a 12 pack of this. Thumbs up for that.) This beer opened my eyes to a whole new world.

Nice hoppy, piney taste, with a citrusy kick. The 1st taste is a nice kick in the taste buds, but it quickly fades into a nice dry finish that makes me want to take another sip right away. I liken the taste to "drinking a pinecone". I think I started my internship of "hophead in training" with this one. I never knew I liked hoppy beer, but apparantly, I do. As I try more APAs, I will instinctly use this one to judge others against.

Great taste, HIGH drinkability, decent ABV, widespread availability and reasonable sticker price make this one a winner on all fronts.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

A- Color is a very deep and dark gold. Fluffy white head leaves lots of lacing behind.

S- A very subtle and enjoyable citrus/pine aroma.

T- The hoppiness is kept in check at a good level.

M- Creamy feel make it easy drinking.

D- Overall this is a very good Pale Ale. Made for drinking more than one.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Deciphered the bottle code to reveal this 6pack was bottled on August 9th...but eh well, such is the best you can find in a little hole-in-the-wall alcohol/fried things place in the middle of nowhere.
Poured into tulip; clear golden orange with a nice fluffy white head that leaves rocky, sticky lacing as it descends lazily.
Smells mostly of metallic malt, with a lingering hint of spicy hops. Not really any citrus to be found, sadly, in a bottle this old.
Taste isn't bad, although it's very obvious the hop flavors have faded greatly. Begins with a spike of herbal and spicy bitterness and some grassy flavors with the ghost of citrus that once was, then moves into very light, clean malt. Finishes wet, clean and a little bitter.
Mouthfeel is light and effervescent, very pleasing.
Overall, I picked this up because I had always skipped it over for something else, and I figured I should try SN's flagship, but I regret doing so with such an old 6-pack. I am loathe to associate myself with those who whip themselves into a righteous rage over the thought of a store that lets IPAs sit on shelves longer than a week, but it's nothing so ridiculous to acknowledge that 4 months is too old for this beer.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.03 out of 5 with 11,398 ratings