Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierra-nevada.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Reviews: 2,999 | Ratings: 11,162

Aroma:  Mild pine and citrus hop aroma.

Appearance:  Golden honey color.  Clear bright.  Two fingers of head with good lacing.

Flavor:  Medium hop bitterness with some malt sweetness.  Hop flavors are pine with some citrus notes.  Overall this is a crisp beer that finishes dry.  Little to no hop bitterness lingers.

Mouthfeel:   A light bodied beer that finishes dry.  Well carbonated.

Overall:  Well balanced, with moderate hop flavor and bitterness.  A great session beer at 5.6 ABV.  This is not a west coast IPA, but it is a classic to be enjoyed on a hot summer day.

4.86/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The only pale ales that I have had that surpass Sierra Nevada Pale Ale have all been home brewed. The flavor is outstanding, and perfectly balanced. I have always found Pale Ale somewhat of a contradiction, because it has a simple, yet extremely complex taste at once. The mouthfeel is perfect as well, not too watery, not too much texture.

Just the right amount of lacing and the right amount of head. The color is a perfect golden color with little carbonation lingering. The smell of the beer is subtle, not too strong, not too weak--just right.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

A - a golden Amber honey color, beautiful color with a lot of bubbles. A fat 1 finger head with good amount of lacing going on.

S - a sweet malty, and citrus flavor. A bit of tangerine in the end. Hops are bursting out I love this Smell.

T - at the beginning I get a sweet citrus and at the end a dry bitter taste with lingering tangerine, the bitterness is just right. Very smooth and complex.

M - just the right amount of carbonation and a light feel on the palate with a smooth bitter end.

O - this beer is very very good i now see why this beer has been around for so long. The flavors work perfectly together and after finishing my beer I had an immediate thirst for another. This is my go to beer now. Great work Sierra Nevada

Enjoy

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a slightly hazy amberyellow color. Not a giant head, not too much lacing. Looks pretty good though.
Smell is not terribly strong, but what is there is almost completely floral hoppiness. Malt is hinted at in the back end.
Taste is mostly of the hoppy floral variety, with a bready aftertaste. Taste is more similar to ipas ive had in comparison to other paleales.
Mouthfeel is slightly watery, not too carbonated. Clearly mass produced, could use more body.
Veryyy drinkable, probably the best popularity to greatness ratio in a beer.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 12 oz. brown bottle.

Nice thick head with thin lacing that lasted for the duration of the drinking.

Citrusy aroma, with some slight hop bitterness. Taste is similar. Crisp and refreshing, with slightly sweet citrus notes, ending with alcohol warmth and hop bitterness. Nicely balanced between malt and hops, as it should be. A wonderful APA, however I don't if it is the best, although it may be considered a classic.

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a nice orange amber color. The smell is nice, but pretty tame, not very strong.

Taste is pretty exceptional, probably the best pale ale widely available. Nicely hopped, and citrusy flavors coming through.

This stuff is very drinkable, and I frequently pick this stuff up.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This was my introduction to Sierra Nevada, and I have to say despite the overall lackluster taste I have been introduced to a brewery that has much better beers. I just wish I had bought Torpedo first, as this to me is far too similar to the standard macro-brews available. Perhaps if I ever have friends who need a beer to drink while over at my house this will be my choice brew, but otherwise this one won't be gracing my fridge again.

4.21/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Luna Loca...and a billion other restaurants, at least in this region.

a - Great color, very deep amber. Not a whole lot of head, but stays pretty much until the glass is empty.

s - I would say this is the weakest aspect of the beer in my opinion. I don't really get much out of the smell, but you can certainly tell the hops are there.

t - This is where the hops really come out. If you like a bitter beer, but still smooth, this is the one that's readily available.

m - Very smooth with a biting aftertaste.

d - Again, great, smooth beer that's readily available on tap and in the bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance - Deep amber

Smell - Floral hops

Taste - Crisp with a faint bitterness

Mouth Feel - Smooth

Drinkability - This is a great beer. Nice to gulp down when you are hot & sweaty. Perfect with a variety of foods as it compliments but does not over power your food. Crisp, flavorful, then a wonderful faint bitterness on the finish - Cheers!

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%

This was an excellent ale. The only problem is that it may be too sweet of an ale.

Appearance was a pale standard ale.

The smell was moderately sweet.

Taste was the most appealing factor of this beer. It was strong with nice hints of fruit.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied and not to strong.

I would drink this beer again and feel it has incredible potential for food pairings. I would pair this with seafood and some chicken dishes.

3.27/5  rDev -19.3%

Had in bottle, and maybe it's just me, but it was much more bitter than I expected. The bite didn't seem to be as balanced as others here have mentioned. I tried three to be sure but on my palate it was less than satisfactory. Pours great, looks great, but reminds me too much of Heineken. Maybe I got a bad batch? Would try again or maybe I can find it on draft to be sure.

4.04/5  rDev -0.2%

I picked up a 12 pack and popped open a bottle. My initial reaction was that it had no nose and tasted like a watered down IPA. The second bottle I let sit in the glass and warm up a bit. What a difference. Nice understated citric nose. Inviting amber gold color with a nice head and lace. Taste is grapefruit and pine. Not too "in your face" but that was expected with an ABV of 5.6%. The only thing I didn't like was the carbonation. I thought it was a bit harsh and over bubbly. That said I still would enjoy this again and again.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Dark golden color with marginal head and decent lacing. Very good fruity hoppy aroma that lasts. Flavor is deliciously hoppy with spicy note with a good malt balance. Quite smooth for a beer with such a high alcohol content. Good mouthfeel. Good for almost any occasion.

Pours a clear gold color with a thick, foamy white head, good retention and decent lacing. Aroma is mostly of piney, citrusy hops with a bit of caramel malt undertone. Taste is initially faintly sweet, biscuit-like maltiness upfront; crisp, piney, grapefruit-like hop bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied with a somehwat chewy mouthfeel. Good amount of carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Nice amber color, half assed head and a nice hoppy smell.

This is a good, drinkable beer any season and seems to show up at a lot of places as the "fancy" beer so you can avoid drinking crap, water beer.

Definitely a keeper.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into Bloomington Brewing Company stange glass from a 12 oz. bottle from a fresh winter variety pack. Bottled on 9/1/14 which is about as fresh as I have ever had it. It pours clear with an orangish tinge probably due to the caramel malts. Had a decent head that quickly dissipated.

The smell is predominantly earthy hops with a distinct Cascade flavor showing through. I wouldn't really describe this beer as cirtrusy, but it has maybe a touch of grapefruit showing through.

The flavor is very balanced with malts at first, then a grapefruity finish afterwards. It is quite good, and it seems like a very modern sort of beer. Amazing that this was brewed in 1980.

This has changed my outlook on this beer. I drank a 12 pack of cans of this and was not impressed. It's either the freshness or the bottles that make this beer really shine. It is excellent, and it is a testament to how prevalent craft beer is becoming that I can buy this at my local grocery store for nearly the same price I would spend to buy Miller Lite.

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A nicely done pale ale...just bitter enough and trends more toward the traditional IPA profile. Great drink-ability and a California standard. Balanced...tasty...

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

This is a highly respectable beer. You find it everywhere, and while it's not going to blow your socks off, it's going to go down crisp and appreciated each time.

It's a pale ale bordering on India, and finds a nice balance between malt and hops. Drink this one frosty cold, as for when it warms it tends to taste a little stale.

This beer is perrenial. Enjoy!

3.93/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Nice golden orange color, medium carbonation, 1 finger head that leaves quick and some descent lacing.

Smell: I get citrus and (coconut)?

Taste: A good balanced beer that definitely fits the APA style.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth texture, holds the carbonation.

Drinkability: I would absolutely have another.

I remember years back when I first tried SNPA, thinking how great it was and it would make me pucker. Then; being introduced to IPA's and doubles, I kind of forgot about Sierra. Probally the beer responsible for my never-ending hop quest. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale= Old Faithful.

4.16/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from glass into a weizen glass. The deep golden color and ample head make this beer a poster child for appearance.

The smell is quite good floral and citrus notes with a cereal grain undertone. The taste reminds me of a grapefruit with a bit of sugar on top. The taste leans to the bitter side but a bready sweetness keeps it in check.

The mouthfeel is medium with a bit of creaminess to finish. The beer is highly refreshing and has fair amount of carbonation. The beer is dangerously drinkable and would pair nicely with a sweet dessert. My personal favorite pairing is New York style cheesecake.

SNPA

Look: Poured a very nice golden-brown, the head dropped down to a quarter inch of foam and then to some suds around the sides in about two minutes or so.

Smell: A little bit hoppy, my nose still isn't trained very well (as well as the words in my vocabulary to really describe what I'm smelling.) Some citrus scents in there too.

Taste: Very pleasant. I couldn't really taste any alcohol in this; it was also nice and hoppy. The taste lingers in the mouth after swallowed.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation tickles the tongue while the drink itself is quite lite.

Drinkability: I'd say this brew is quite drinkable. I'm most of the way through the 24oz bottle and I feel like I could drink more if I'd like to after finishing it.

Overall, very solid.

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Pour from a 12oz bottle into a pint mug.

A- Pours a deep golden copper color with a thin off white head that leaves pretty good lacing.

S- Has hoppy citrusy smell. For some reason I want to say that there is a smell of carrots, but maybe thats just me.

T- Maybe a grapefruit sort of citrus taste with nice hop bitterness, and a little bit of malt sandwhiched in the middle.

M- Feels crisp and clean and finishes smooth.

D- A very drinkable beer, I could drink this beer all night.

3.97/5  rDev -2%

This golden-amber ale pours with a lacy white head and smells of grain, flowers, and citrus. The beer is smooth bordering on creamy with sweet bready malt flavor that finishes with citric hop backbone being revealed. Light body, easy to drink, pleasantly dry on the finish.

A - Pours an orange amber with good head and lacing.

S - Citrus, pine. Great balance of hops and malt flavors.

T - Love the smell of this beer. Citrus and pine. Floral notes are also present.

M - Perfect carbonation with a medium mouth feel. Good crisp feel.

O - This is my favorite beer. Great anytime of the year.

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Nice, clear medium gold with warmth. Thin white head that dissapates with time. Small amount of yeast at the bottom of the bottle does not seem to affect clarity.

S: Floral, fairly light American hop aroma. Could not detect much, if any, malt on the nose.

T: The hops are definately out in front, but not over-agressive. Nice citrus flavor and good bitterness. Has decent malt background, but it is definately overshadowed by the hops. Still, does not have the bitterness of an American IPA.

M: Mouthfeel is enhanced by healthy carbonation, but is not overwhelming.

D: The beer's greatest quality is its drinkability. It maintains enough of a malt base to be well balanced while showcasing classic American hops. A great example of an American Pale Ale, it's an easy beer to drink and appreciate every day.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.