Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Reviews: 3,006 | Ratings: 11,180
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

I guess I'm more of a porter and brown ale guy, so this can be taken with a grain of salt.

It looks like a pale ale should, there's some yeast on the bottom of the bottle and the head stays for a bit.

The smell is hoppy, somewhat floral and citrusy.

Taste, that's where I just don't get along with this one all that well. I'd rather have a bit more malt presence, it's just too hoppy and bitter for me.

Drinkability, if I had to choose between this and a macro, I'd take this. But, if there was a SN Porter to be had, I'd be all over it.

edit on 10-3-04

I've raised my review score, since I've either started loving the hop, my tastes have changed or the fact that this is one of the few decent beers you can get around here on a night out and I've become more accoustomed to it.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

so yeah i eally enjoy seeing the little "floaters" hanging out in the bottom of this fine bottle conditioned ale. now i am not all that great about identifying the flavors i taste, so i will be simple here. it has this nice color about it when poured. looks like a penny to me. not a shiny penny but one thats been in your pocket a few times. and it has a nice white head that leaves a decent lacing. smells piney, citrusy and sweet, and it tastes just like it smells. not alot of carbonation that i can see, or taste, but what a fine beer. this beer is the one i would reccomend all people try who want to better there beer taste. simply put not too complex, but not simple at the same time. i love SNPA

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

This is one of those beers that you really have to fight yourself on as far as when to stop. I could easily kill a sixer of this without much thought. Pours a nice light brownish/red color with just a small bit of foam. The smell is very nice indeed, one of the best smelling beers I've ever had I think. It's got a very nice blend of hops and citrus, with the hops maybe taking a slight edge. Taste is also good, a bit citrusy at first and then very hoppy with a pretty smooth feel to it.

4.09/5  rDev +1%

A.very clear light white head with steady retention on the head

S. smell is light hop aroma not as strong as most pales that I am used to

T.the taste is nice light with small after taste of hops it is good for a light pale drinker

M. there is no bad taste in my mouth just pale ale

D.Very nice beer with any type of food or company good for a new beer drinker for ales

24 oz. bottle purchased 10/05/2010 in Easthampton, MA.

Appearance- N/A: Drank straight from the bottle over lunch (Complete faux pas, I know. My apologies to my brethren.)

Smell- Decent amount of potent hops, slight flowery notes, tinge of biscuity malts.

Taste- Sharply hopped. Hops predominate the flavor, good warmth for the fairly average ABV level. Good malt undertones. This is the brew that put Chico, California on the map. Flagship of Sierra Nevada, and always a good choice for a well-concocted pale ale.

Mouthfeel- Crisp. Hops linger around after the initial swallow. Very nice for the style.

Drinkability- Very good. I wouldn't drink more than a couple pints (24 oz. is perfect), but doesn't that often define a well crafted beverage? Very good pale ale.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%

very strong hop flavor. a great ale. i got a six pack of this from my dad for my 21st birthday. up there with samuel adam's as one of the best american brewed beers. i usually like the european imports myself but this beer can give them competition.

3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

Big ups to the beer that introduced me to "real beer" as opposed to commercial rice beers that I was drinking in college.
"Fatty Sierra Nevada's...$2"... said the guy with a cooler perched on top of his skateboard...cruising the parking lot at a Dead show. I bought one...then another... it became a standard for what my tastebuds truly enjoyed.
Hops... It is crisp and refreshing.

I don't buy this as often as I used to, but always try and have some in the fridge.
Highly recommended for anyone trying to break into IPA's. The world of Cascade goodness...

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

This is my "every day-beer" because the price ($10.99 to $12.99 for a 12 bottle box) is more than right for what you're getting. I've also enjoyed this beer on-tap, but will submit a review for a bottled beer at this time.

A: Amber color with nice big white head. Medium lacing.

S: Very aromatic, with lots of hops, some pine and a hint of citrus.

T: Excellent taste, where whole hops and malt are in perfect harmony coupled with a hint of pine flavor. This is a great beer for almost any occasion, and that's why it is my so-called "every day-beer".

M: Medium-body with moderate carbonation. Right kind of slight bitterness due to whole hops.

O: This is an example of a solid American Pale Ale that has everything nicely balanced. One can't go wrong buying this truly excellent beer.

3.08/5  rDev -24%

Pours a gold to amber color. Virtually no head despite noticeable carbonation. Very slight lacing. Floral aroma that isnt overpowering and wasnt that pleasant. Taste is very average for an APA. The hops are there, and leave a pleasant aftertaste, but they dont stand out like in many APAs. Good "structure" to the beer, the mouthfeel is there, but the taste is nothing special. Above average drinkability, I may have another despite being unimpressed. Its been a while since I have had an SNPA and I didnt remember it being anything special - and it wasnt.

Its a slightly above average APA.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

pours with fine wite head and golden amber hue. This is a beautiful everyday drinker. I love pale ales and this is a standard of mine. Spicy malt gives way to a nice cascade hop bite. I highly recommend this for anyone who has not had it. Just grap a clean pint glass and enjoy

3.4/5  rDev -16%

This is my go to brew. Being from AL where the beer selection is ass, I can usually muster up a six pack of good ole Sierra Nevada Pale Ale almost everywhere. I love everything about this beer. From its amber pour, hoppy aroma and taste, to its crip finish this beer never disappoints. I am reviewing it from a 12oz. bottle serving but I will say that it is even more glorious on draft.

4.37/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is what I think of as the benchmark for all "west coast" pale ales. I used to be a homebrewer with a 12pack of Sam Adams always in the fridge. Now I have become a homebrewer with a 12-pack of SNPA in the fridge

Great aroma, great taste... great!

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

a: Strong Foamy head with deep amber copper color

s: nice and hoppy...a little fruity with a bitter aroma

t. its a bitter hoppy taste thats scares you but finishes so pleasant that you just cant help but drink more

m: plenty of bubbles but very smooth as its reaches your belly

d: This is one of those classic beers that cant be duplicated and will forever mesmerize drinkers because of its great nature and pleasing taste

It seems that with Sierra Nevada, you really can not go wrong. The same can be said for their Pale Ale. Clear, no sedament (not that I mind that) and good taste. This is definatley one of my fall back beers on Sunday night at 11 pm when I need to travel to Balto. County to get beer. In MD we call the "Blue Laws", the county I live in just allowed stores to be open until 4 or 6 pm, but there are times when living on a county line has its benifits.

3.82/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. This isn't what I usually drink, but I saw it in the grocery store and it made me thirsty, so I figured why not. I've had it before, though I didn't appreciate it then.

The appearance is a toasted golden color, with a very thin head. It has a bready pine scent that is pleasing, but subtle.

This beer is pretty damn tasty. While I'm not usually a fan of highly hopped beers, I enjoyed this one. It does have a fairly high bitterness, but its not unpleasant, and the hops give a nice pine, woody flavor, but doesn't become overpowering. I could see this beer being perfect for a camping or canoe trip.

Pours a cloudy golden color with a thick, head that lingers around a bit and forms a nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is fruity and citrus consistent with Cascade hops. The taste is an excellent balance of citrusy hops and sweet malts. Mouthfeel is medium with good amount of carbonation. Easy drinking PA.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

This is the standard American Pale Ale and am glad it is widely available. It is correct to form in everyway with bite of hops and strong finish nice hoppy aroma. I ahev had better American Pale Ales but they are all much harder to find and only marginally better. Great fridge beer.

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dark caramel in appearance almost orangish red. Very light carbonation with a minimal yeasty aftertaste. Definitely has nice aromatics, very thick head. Minimal lacing on this beer. Head had a little bit of clumping. Found this beer to be surprisingly mellow.

4.06/5  rDev +0.2%

I will be honest, I can't tell the difference between this and Goose's "Honkers Ale". Smell (to me) is faint, I don't smell much. Color is clear light copper, no head to speak of. Taste has a touch of citrus, slight malt and a dry finish. Has a bit of a kick to it. Overall, a very good beer, one that I am really enjoying. I will buy again!

M

3.97/5  rDev -2%

Served on tap. Medium amber color, head quickly disappeared. No lacing on the glass. Smelled slightly malty to me. Taste was very good. I liked the bite on the tip on my tongue, and very nice bitterness on the back. Kinda like grapefruit. Very ful feeling in my mouth. Great drinkability! I'll buy again.

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%

I liked this beer when I first started exploring more exotic beers, and I'm never disappointed when I return to it. The price, availability, and complexity (almost perfumy) aspects are a win-win combination and help to explain why it has steadily been growing in marketshare. It is the quintissential citrucy APA that all must be compared to. My overall favorite every day beer, although Dale's is starting to give it some competition.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours dark golden/amber color. Thick off-white head stays and holds well.
S: Smells of sweet malt and fragrant hops
T: A nice balance between the sweet malt and the bitterness of the hops. Tasted hints of citrus hops as well.
M: Medium body with a perfect amount of carbonation.
D: An excellent APA that I will definitely buy again.

One of the standard bearers of the craft beer movement, Sierra Nevada is a solid Pale Ale that is always enjoyable.

Appearance: Excellent amber color and head that retains well while leaving a nice lacing down the side of your glass.

Smell: Do I detect some cascade hops? (Intentional understatement) There's also an unappreciated malt aroma to this beer, picking up a lot of caramel malts on this one.

Taste: Quite good. The malts don't quite stand up to the hopiness, but it's not overwhelming. It has a good, clean finish, too.

Mouthfeel: No aftertaste, washes clean over the palate and nice heavy, but not too heavy carbonation.

Drinkability: If you have too many of these, it sits like a rock in your digestive tract. However, it's dry profile lets it go well with many foods and it's always fun to enjoy one or two during a ballgame.

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%

A - a pale golden color, with a tint of orange. has a thin white head that clings to the glass

S - fresh pine, citrus and floral. bitter hops and sweet malt

T - crisp hoppy bite just like the smell, refreshing

M - sharp hop presence with a med carbonation and body

D - great drinkable allround american pale ale

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

A- Dark orange/yellow color. One finger white head.

S- Pine, some citrus. Hops evident. Perhaps a grassy touch, earthy even.

T- Nice balance of malts and hops. Bitter and sweet at the same time. Very nice.

M- Carbonation and the bitterness of the hops is an enjoyable experience. Feels light, but substantial enough for the style.

D- Very drinkable. The right mix of hops and malt, allowing many of these to be put away in a single sitting.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.