Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Ratings: 11,247 |  Reviews: 3,017
3.52/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear copper body with a small, fizzy off-white head.

Smell: Grainy aroma with a small measure of caramel and a moderate citrus hop presence.

Taste: Sweet caramel maltiness mingles with the taste of toasted grains. Predominately citrus hops, but there is a pinch of pine in there, too. Medium bitterness leads into a bittersweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Overall, a solid pale ale that's readily available and generally easy on the wallet.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Simply put, this ale enlightened me that we (USA) could make great ales. This my take on this bottle (know I've had better on draft & bottle)

Appearance: OK white heat that falls off, bur leaves A pleasing lace all the way down

Smell: Lemony hops & a hint of bread

Taste: Grapefruity hops on the toung gives way to biscuit & lemony hops on the back of the throat.

MF: Just a little under carbonated, otherwise yum..

Drinkability: Perfect balance, but I gravitate to stronger hoppie beers than I used to, still a classic!!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Quintessential amber with a blizzard of fine yeast suspended within. The beer is topped by a bone white crown that is rocky and pitting as it melts. Unfortunately, the lid didn't last very long. There's a decent amount of lace, though nothing too special. The nose is of average intensity and is primarily of citrusy hops.

The flavor profile is on the simple and straightforward side; not that that's a bad thing. Each mouthful starts out with a gently spicy-bitter push, backed by a solid underlay of malt. Things don't really change in character from start to finish or with warming.

Although SNBC uses Cascade hops (along with Magnum and Perle), grapefruit zest isn't bursting across the tongue. The mouthfeel is slightly more full than medium and has no rough edges whatsoever.

I expected very good things from Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and was just a little let down in the end. It's not that it's bad beer, not by a long shot, but there are better versions out there. I'm sure I'll come back to it again since it's so widely available (and since my local hoppy options are so limited).

Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a decent white head, moderate retention and some decent lacing. Lively carbonation bubbles released from the bottom.

S: Citrus hops dominate, with nice touches of orange, and some caramel sweetness to balance it a little.

T: Nice and hoppy, full of citrus fruit flavors, orange being the dominant one. Slightly bitter on the front from the hops, with a sweeter middle from the malt, that come through as some light caramel. little bit of pine on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with lively carbonation. Very refreshing.

O: A great all around beer, one that I could drink at any time.

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Perhaps the most classic of APA's. Everything about it sets the standard for style, much like Guinness. It may not be my favorite but it is close.

Clear and gold with lots of continual bubbles. The head lasts well but leaves spotty lace.

The aroma is mostly hop which is reflected in the flavor as well. Astringent and dry with a below average body. Highly carbonated. Good aftertaste of strong hop bitterness.

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Great beer, although I have to admit I expected a little more when I heard this was the prototypical APA. I guess I was expected the best APA ever, but I've had a few I liked better. Taste is nicely hopped, very full and complete. Citric hop tastes finish the sip appropriately. This is a perfect beer for slow sipping at a bar or at home, thankfully this is available almost everywhere. I have nothing more to add that hasn't been said numerous times already.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Presentation: 12oz short brown twist cap bottle. Thin layer of sediment from bottle conditioning.

Appearance: Rich golden orange in colour with a slight chill haze, a white lace lays on top and clings all over the glass.

Smell: Slightly rustic, raw and mildly pungent hop aroma of leaves, flowers and heavy on the citric fruit. An undertone of grain is in the background also.

Taste: Creamy smooth with a soft malt crispness that cradles a bready malt flavour. Hop bitterness is more than ample and shows off a bit yet there is an underlying sweetness that seems to put everything back together. Esters through a shadow of alcohol down which make a potential heady night. In the finish is a citric hop flavour with a touch more sweetness from the residual sugars, though this brew seems to dry up a little in the end.

Notes: The typical American Pale Ale ... The classic American Pale Ale basically as far as what people know. A good and solid ale for what I think.

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a decent amber, with no head, and a bit of lacing, very clear. Smell is citrus hoppy, but not overly so. Slight spiceyness as well. Taste is very crisp, with a dry hop finish. Very citrus flavored, and a bit of grassy, piney flavor as well. This has always been one of my favs, always easy to get, and always drinkable. Pretty much my standard at restaurants that don't have much. Its no IPA, and is by no means the Celebration, But I have never turned one down.

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

I had a bottle of this at the General Sutter Inn in Lititz, PA. Served cold in a pilsner glass.
A - A pleasant amber honey color w/ a white head of about an inch. Lots of lace clings to the glass with great head retention.

S - Subtle floral hop aromas when cold, the slightly sweet malt aromas and a bit of piney sap aroma is more noticeable as it warms.

M - Medium body and sweetness w/ moderate bitterness and carbonation.

T - A crystal malt/cascade flavor w/ subtle cherry and pine needle hop flavors collaborate in the classic pale ale. The taste is fresh w/ a nice dry, light grassinesss.

D - A very drinkable beer, great west coast pale example. Well worth each sip. This went great w/ my roast duckling entree.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

From 02/19/11 notes.

a - Pours a somewhat transparent golden color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of light citrus hops, bready malts, fruit, light caramel malts.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, bready malts, grain, caramel malts, light pine hops.

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A very nice, easy drinking APA. Can definitely drink a few of these and would want to. Have had many times and will have many times again.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

A: The pour is a hazy golden-orange color with some lively carbonation and a fluffy white head.

S: While there is certainly a caramel malt sweetness, this pale ale has a very pronounced citrus and pine hoppiness to it.

T: Up front, this has nice citrus hops with the malt taking the lead through the middle before the piney, bitter finish.

M: The body is medium with a lively carbonation which makes this a nice refreshing pale ale.

D: My fist craft beer and always a standby when out at a bar or restaurant. You can almost never go wrong with SNPA.

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%

This one completely amazes me - I will be its 2501st reviewer, not having reviewed it previously in any serving style; my mother lives in Chico and I have visited her on a couple of occasions, making my first statement more incredible; and the first person to review it from a CAN was my local CANTrader and fellow CANQuester (TM), tone77! It took me a while to find this in a CAN with Torpedo seemingly more accessible. SMH!

From the CAN: "Purest Inredients"; "Finest Quality"; "CAN Conditioned".

Just the Crack seemed to release a lot of hops aroma into the room. The inverted Glug really made it seem as though I had sprayed hops air freshener and I would be lying if I said that my mouth was not watering. I was looking at a massive two-plus fingers of dense, French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention when I was done with my pour. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was full of pine hops and now I was starting to drool. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, slightly viscous and the hops were soft, not overpowering as in some (many?) AIPAs. The melding of the hops with the malt was very pleasant and caused me to think back to the mid-1980's when I had this for the first time. I remember thinking that it was too bitter, but now it is just what the doctor ordered for this Jonesin' hophead. Finish was semi-dry and both pleasant and refreshing. I am so excited to see it being CANned and I would recommend it for anyone's cooler under any circumstances. Believe the hype!

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Drank a few of these this past weekend at the beach. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours hazy golden yellow with a small half finger tall white head leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of citrus, pine, lemon, toasty grain and biscuit like malt. Nothing too over the top, just a solid nose. This one might be a bit old.

T - Starts off with a nice, light, citric hop kick quickly giving way to a mix of caramel and biscuit from the malt. It has a good overall balance of flavors. Finish has some hop bitterness, lingering for a short time. A tad old but still very nice.

M - Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Slick feel with some lingering bitterness in the finish.

O - How can you go wrong with a SNPA. It is perfect for a hot summer day at the beach like today. I can, and plan on, drinking this all day.

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass at Hammerheads.

Had to have something to drink while playing pool, so I figured I'd revisit this old classic (and finally review the damn thing). It pours a clear brass topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises grass, flowers, lemon peel, orange rind, and very light toffee. The taste brings in more of the same, with the more citrus-y hops gaining in potency a bit, balancing out the earthier ones pretty nicely; all while the toffee doesn't give much ground. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly dry finish. Overall, a very nice pale ale, one that deserves the status it holds.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.